My first 1000 EV miles of steep learning...

From the sounds of it the MG5 EV is a cracking car for the money. To be honest its an estate... so do you really need a roof rack also? Personally I've never had a use for it as I've owned estate cars, so the roof rack issue isn't an issue for me. I can't wait to get mine delivered. Such a bargain for what you get.

From the sounds of it the MG5 EV is a cracking car for the money. To be honest its an estate... so do you really need a roof rack also? Personally I've never had a use for it as I've owned estate cars, so the roof rack issue isn't an issue for me. I can't wait to get mine delivered. Such a bargain for what you get.
Hi Adam and welcome to the forum the issue about the roof rails is still on going is not about if you need them or not it’s about the safety of them for all road users there is another section under MG5 on this forum entitled “roof rail decorative only “ which you may like to read trough on that subject as I can see your a new member here anyhow hopefully we will very soon be getting some positive feedback on that maybe even this week.
This thread was more about some members unexpectedly running out of battery and breaking down but some very good stuff to read with members trying to help each other out in this new EV world a lot of us are entering hope you don’t have to wait to long for you vehicle

The only problem I have with the MG5 is the uncontrollable desire to floor it.... it absolutely catapulted forward, bags of fun but go over the speed limit very quickly. I had to set the speed warning at 71mph to remind myself!
Yeah, I'm going to wear through these front tyres in a couple of months once lockdown is over. And I'll never get more than 180 miles from a charge. Still, I'll have lots of fun, get to my destination quickly and only pay 2p per mile.

I have been contacted by MG just before closing with an update. The car is now fully charged and had 2 updates done, the only update they mentioned was a balance charge update, the car has been test driven and shows no faults. The dealer is now waiting for MG UK to reply to an email about the faults reported to see if they need to do any further investigation or work before returning the car. So all being well i should be able to pick it up tomorrow 😊
Hi scorpion just wondering how you got on with your car problem and if you have any further information to share with us
Thank you
Les

Hi scorpion just wondering how you got on with your car problem and if you have any further information to share with us
Thank you
Les
I'm afraid I've still not got the car back, all i keep being told is that MGUK want more data from the car, they keep emailing each other requests for data then it's download from the car and sent to them. I'm getting rather frustrated with it all they've had the car longer than i have.

Not very good is it? you would expect them to have sorted it by now?
Under better circumstances there would be more people to work in the service department of the dealers but at the moment there is one person trying to service vehicles and do repairs so time is spread rather thinly at the moment but yes it's very frustrating but I'm trying to find the good in it to save my sanity

Under better circumstances there would be more people to work in the service department of the dealers but at the moment there is one person trying to service vehicles and do repairs so time is spread rather thinly at the moment but yes it's very frustrating but I'm trying to find the good in it to save my sanity
Well done to you. Hope you get it sorted soon 🙂

I'm afraid I've still not got the car back, all i keep being told is that MGUK want more data from the car, they keep emailing each other requests for data then it's download from the car and sent to them. I'm getting rather frustrated with it all they've had the car longer than i have.
Hi so sorry to here your news this is must be must frustrating for you hope it’s not for much longer please keep us updated when you can I just hope your dealer has loaned you another EV while its being sorted
Les

Last edited:
Hi so sorry to here your news this is must be must frustrating for you hope it’s not for much longer please keep us updated when you can I just hope your dealer has loaned you another EV while its being sorted
Les
The dealership won't lend any vehicle's do to the cleansing issue, i have a Toyota corolla estate hybrid paid for from europcar, it's surprisingly small compared to the MG5 so it's making sure i can't wait to get it back

And i traded in a Golf GTD estate with all the bells and whistles. Prefer this
I had a Golf Estate GT TDI can you confirm that the boot is about the same size on the MG5? I have ordered an MG5 without test driving it. Only seen it on the PC at home.

I had a Golf Estate GT TDI can you confirm that the boot is about the same size on the MG5? I have ordered an MG5 without test driving it. Only seen it on the PC at home.

If this helps, here are a couple of angles of the boot in my MG5 with seats fully folded.

Sorry for the grubby canvas liner - it was transferred straight out of the old car.

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

There's quite a step up from the lower boot floor to the seat backs. This could be made more uniform by fabricating a riser for the boot floor, as @thefunkystoat has demonstrated in another thread. This would also have the advantage of allowing a full-size spare wheel - as it comes, there's only room for a space-saver as the wheel well is just 5" / 12.5cm deep.

If this helps, here are a couple of angles of the boot in my MG5 with seats fully folded.

Sorry for the grubby canvas liner - it was transferred straight out of the old car.

View attachment 1681

View attachment 1680

There's quite a step up from the lower boot floor to the seat backs. This could be made more uniform by fabricating a riser for the boot floor, as @thefunkystoat has demonstrated in another thread. This would also have the advantage of allowing a full-size spare wheel - as it comes, there's only room for a space-saver as the wheel well is just 5" / 12.5cm deep.
Thanks very much. I think I will enjoy the MG5 when I finally get it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom