My first ever angry email to the Government

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
As you will have picked up from my previous thread, I am about to undertake the North Coast 500 next week.

The south west section already has quite a poor distribution of charging points, but I repeatedly see from ZapMap and PlugShare that the one at Torridon which we would need to ensure we can cover one of the most picturesque sections, has been out of order for some time.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I brought this to ChargePlace Scotland's attention by emailing them, and I received a reply stating simply "Thanks for getting in touch. I can see that unit 51122 is operational. "

NO, IT'S NOT!! They surely can open a couple of apps and see that bang up-to-date posts state that the unit is most definitely not working, the most recent (19th August) even finishing off his post with " Suggest not planning a journey that relies on this charger. "

Darn it, that's me he's referring to!! Doh!

So, today I have emailed Michael Matheson, the Scottish Government's Minister for Transport. The Scottish Government does have an ambitious and forward thinking approach to EVs (and that comes from a non-SNP supporter) but if they depend on lacklustre agency support similar to what I have experienced, heaven help us all!!

@Stuart Wright - Here's a copy of my email.

Dear Minister,

I've never written to a member of any parliament before, and I hope you will understand my frustration which has caused me to do this today.

I have recently bought a fully electric car, and fully embrace all that the Scottish Government is doing to make EV ownership a practical and feasible option for drivers who share the same ethos as me.

And I applaud your enthusiasm and drive for the development of the infrastructure, particularly the Electric A9 project, selfishly as I live in Inverness.

However, I fear that you will not achieve what you wish for, nor what you have promised the wider population, if the support mechanism upon which you depend, viz ChargePlace Scotland, are so derelict in their responsibilities as I have witnessed.

I am undertaking the North Coast 500 next week, partly just to be able to say to naysayers, that it can be done in an electric car.

Three quarters of the route is well supported with charging points, but the South West section around Applecross is a concern.

I've been watching updates from apps such as ZapMap and PlugShare who warn that the charger at Torridon is out of operation, and I brought this to ChargePlace Scotland's attention.

They have come back with a worrying response that they have checked it and deem it to be fully operational, and indeed show it as operational on their app. But I can see from the numerous contributors on the other apps that this is sadly NOT the case.

The advice that they are providing seems to be at best lazy and unreliable, but due to the range of most electric vehicles presently, plus the terrain and possible weather conditions that may prevail, I expect my estimated range of approx 140/150 miles will be depleted to nearer 125/130 miles.

That means that if the Torridon charger is not operational, I will have to rely on reaching Gairloch which is not achievable if I am to travel the Applecross loop of the section.

I have prepared 3 options for this leg of the journey so I hope I will come to no harm, but I just feel that you should be made aware that agencies that you are funding and relying upon to provide the service I know you expect to deliver your ambition for Scottish travel, are simply paying lip service to the needs of their customer.

I do hope this is useful to you for gaining a greater insight into the current issues faced in some rural areas.

Regards

As you will have picked up from my previous thread, I am about to undertake the North Coast 500 next week.

The south west section already has quite a poor distribution of charging points, but I repeatedly see from ZapMap and PlugShare that the one at Torridon which we would need to ensure we can cover one of the most picturesque sections, has been out of order for some time.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I brought this to ChargePlace Scotland's attention by emailing them, and I received a reply stating simply "Thanks for getting in touch. I can see that unit 51122 is operational. "

NO, IT'S NOT!! They surely can open a couple of apps and see that bang up-to-date posts state that the unit is most definitely not working, the most recent (19th August) even finishing off his post with " Suggest not planning a journey that relies on this charger. "

Darn it, that's me he's referring to!! Doh!

So, today I have emailed Michael Matheson, the Scottish Government's Minister for Transport. The Scottish Government does have an ambitious and forward thinking approach to EVs (and that comes from a non-SNP supporter) but if they depend on lacklustre agency support similar to what I have experienced, heaven help us all!!
I've yet to meet a politician that listens, once elected they spend their time responding without actually doing any research or investigation into your concerns. In fact most replies are sent by their wives employed as assistants and gate keepers paid for by the state. The gravy train lives on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom