My first year of MG5 LR Pre FL ownership

I was paying 6.4p kwh, which went up to 9.4p kwh. I'm hoping there may be a slight drop around the corner 🤞
9.5p ! My heart bleeds :D . When I bought my MG5 the local connected kerb was 35p which increased to 50p a few months later . I now pay 45p with a Bonnet Boost . I can live with that. I rarely use a rapid charger .
Of course once EV take up rises maybe we'll see those prices come down or the energy companies will profiteer . We'll have to wait and see .
I went with the MG5 because it was substantially cheaper than other marques , Had i paid the £10-15K more for the other marques , it would have been definitely more expensive to run an EV

I've had my PFL 18 months now and done 22,000 miles, I'm with Sainsburys EV tariff and get 7 hours at 9.5p/kWh 00:00 to 07:00, I don't mind watching TV until it's time to charge, I also have to get up at 06:30 to do the wife's medication, so everything fits, the car is brilliant to drive.
What charger do you have? I can schedule my Podpoint to fit with the off peak.

9.5p ! My heart bleeds :D . When I bought my MG5 the local connected kerb was 35p which increased to 50p a few months later . I now pay 45p with a Bonnet Boost . I can live with that. I rarely use a rapid charger .
Of course once EV take up rises maybe we'll see those prices come down or the energy companies will profiteer . We'll have to wait and see .
I went with the MG5 because it was substantially cheaper than other marques , Had i paid the £10-15K more for the other marques , it would have been definitely more expensive to run an EV
I would struggle to pay the public charger prices (mentally, not financially!). As you say, the cost of the MG along with the range of the LR was the big draw for me - as my missus is NHS we got a big discount under the Affinity scheme, so paid £24k for the LR Exclusive with mats / flaps / boot liner.

Coming up to three years with mine
Been a great car,the only minor point is the grip on the front wheels is not good in slippy mud or snow as torque is so good and traction control is a bit weak! Even in eco mode it is very tricky to control spinning wheels in mud.

Running costs are great as I am lucky to have cheap off rate charge and solar so my annual running cost was less than 1.2p a mile. (average). Now when is the sun coming out?

One thing I've just remembered, frustratingly the P on the gear selector has started to peel causing a rough edge.

What charger do you have? I can schedule my Podpoint to fit with the off peak.

I would struggle to pay the public charger prices (mentally, not financially!). As you say, the cost of the MG along with the range of the LR was the big draw for me - as my missus is NHS we got a big discount under the Affinity scheme, so paid £24k for the LR Exclusive with mats / flaps / boot liner.
It's a 32Amp 7kW nondescript tethered charger from AliExpress, I tried to find a timer for it without any success, if I plug the lead into the car earlier, then go out and open the garage roller shutter door to switch it on, it doesn't initiate, I have to disconnect the lead from the car, lock the car, unlock the car and then plug it back in for it to start charging, I then lock the car, drop the door onto the lead(the door has a large rubber seal that flexes round the lead sealing it) and go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it’s one year behind the wheel of my MG5 LR and all in all I’m well pleased . I prefer the practicality of the estate format to the nondescript SUV format . But that’s just a matter of taste .

Happy that I made the jump from six years of hybrid to full EV
Great post & very similar feelings, it’s not a SUV & the estate is really practical. had my Pre-FL around the same time, saved a bit buying it at 1 year old , and we are really happy with the car. There will always be cars with more tech so not that bothered it has way more than our old Kia:) , the sat nav I’ve never even used as I read it was pants, probably runs on windows 95 I recall reading :) I use Apple car play all the time. I didn’t know there was a wireless mod, if anyone has one be good to know how reliable it is? my iPhone connection does sometimes not connect quickly. I’m intrigued by the condensation, I don’t notice that,maybe that’s location ? but I do have a problem with the wipers, the drivers side wiper chatter’s, making an awful noise, & the auto wiper setting seems to have a mind of its own, when the rain is very little it continues sometimes, making the chattering worse, I’ve changed them twice, garage said try MG wipers, I’m not sure it’s that.
I’m also not a home charger , we have a terraced house & the local council so far won’t allow a charging cable or pavement gullie, though I have sent emails requesting a trial, for EV’s to really take off in streets like mine I think they maybe the way forward. We have a few lamppost chargers around us & quite a few local other types , I knew this going in , we have quite a few neighbours that have EV’s also & so far it’s been fine, it’s still way cheaper than my old petrol even at 45p a kWh, it was 34p but they have been taken over by Shell ! & they recently put them all up! One other thing to consider is we might not have a home charger, we can still charge at houses we visit, so for us travelling to see our daughter & grandkids every other weekend we can charge at her house over night, the house smart meter tracks the cost so we can pay her for what we use. But we also plan to move at some point & to me EV’s make sense for less servicing. No car is perfect but we love our EV MG, blooming brilliant car.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 32Amp 7kW nondescript tethered charger from AliExpress, I tried to find a timer for it without any success, if I plug the lead into the car earlier, then go out and open the garage roller shutter door to switch it on, it doesn't initiate, I have to disconnect the lead from the car, lock the car, unlock the car and then plug it back in for it to start charging, I then lock the car, drop the door onto the lead(the door has a large rubber seal that flexes round the lead sealing it) and go to bed.
Maybe this might do the trick:

Maybe this might do the trick:

Thanks for the suggestion, only my charger is really only an upgraded 'Granny', it's a sealed black box with a 32Amp plugged lead in and a type2 out only, with very limited internal space apparent from the outside.

Thanks for the suggestion, only my charger is really only an upgraded 'Granny', it's a sealed black box with a 32Amp plugged lead in and a type2 out only, with very limited internal space apparent from the outside.
You could put a heavy duty contactor on the supply side of your granny and control it with a timer (on at midnight, off 10 min after you manually unplug the car)

This method will avoid potential issues with disconnecting mains under load and will stop charging the car if you ever miss the alarm.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom