My ZS is slowly falling apart...

My front screen heating/demisting brings on the AC automatically. I now use this till the screen's clear and leave it to heat the car for a short period after then switch back to heating the car gently. This is seeming to be effective and reasonably economic with electricity.
My car showed as AC (illumined ac light) on but it didn’t actually dry the air. Try it with with ac on and ax off and see if it makes any difference.

My car showed as AC (illumined ac light) on but it didn’t actually dry the air. Try it with with ac on and ax off and see if it makes any difference.
It will make a difference with the AC off and I have seen the Windows mist quickly in wet weather if it is off. Sounds like yours is misbehaving.

One thing I forgot happened the other day in the cold weather was the emergency call disabled itself!
Just like the front camera that signals a problem when strong sun light hits the lens !.
It did the same on the Gen 1 models also.
Add to the list, the SOS not available warning response glitch !.
Both myself and my brother, have had this flag up a few times on our Trophy LR's.
When it drops out, if you glance up quickly at the status light in the sky roof
binnacle, you will see the light flashing as it is reconnects.
I agree, it can be difficult to hold down the Home / Reboot button if driving alone, the info screen freezes / locks up and NO it is not ideal.
I would either pull over ( if and when it is safe to do so ) or wait until I encountered a set of traffic light etc.
This is usually enough time to reboot the head unit, while waiting.
Still a lot easier than having to close down the entire car and then conducting a "full on" reboot of the complete car though !.

I think you will find that the software inside the infotainment on the facelift models is HERE based and thus uses Linux?
The navigation is HERE based. Android IS Linux.

It will make a difference with the AC off and I have seen the Windows mist quickly in wet weather if it is off. Sounds like yours is misbehaving.
AC only works above a certain temperature, IIRC 4 deg C so even though it's lit up, it's not doing anything if the ambient temp is below that.
I do the same routine as you with demister for a few minutes then normal settings, but with AC off and mine doesn't mist up.
I also sometimes put recirc on when it's iced up, to warm it faster, then turn recirc off if it starts to mist.
Another trick that seems to de-ice the screen quicker, seen on facebook, is put the sun visors down. This deflects the warm air, that would normally go off into the back of the car, back down onto the screen.

Yes, holding that button will nearly always restore things but that is not easy or safe when driving on your own!
For something that costs upwards of £30,000 this shouldn't happen in my view.
Mine went in for a software/firmware update which improved things, but not completely, which I find frustrating.
If the phone is plugged in and Apple Carplay is working, this causes problems, not straight away, but after about an hours worth of driving!
West Sussex to Reddich it happened about 2/3rds of the way up the A34!
With issues like this how can a dealer get to the hub of the problem?
MG UK should call customers in and put a logging device into the OBD2 port so that when this happens they can call up the data at that point.
Other manufacturers do this why not SAIC I wonder?

One thing I forgot happened the other day in the cold weather was the emergency call disabled itself!
Luckily we only had cold weather here in West Sussex, no snow, but imagine if I had ruin off the road into a snow drift, I couldn't call for help! The prime use of the emergency call feature!!
Yes they are computers on wheels, but when did someone moan about the Windows blue screen of death (I'm an Apple user by the way) not since about 2015 maybe longer ago than that, computers have come on in reliability terms and now hardly ever crash! Having said that, I know what will happen, but I've got everything crossed!

I think you will find that the software inside the infotainment on the facelift models is HERE based and thus uses Linux?
Ditto... Android is Linux. For some strange reason a lot of car manufacturers have not a Scoobie when it comes to software. There are a few that actually have had their own system designed from scratch and critics have really liked one or two of them. So we poor mortals have to put up with the crap we have or spend a bit more cash and even change the car to have a decent system that simply works... It is unbelievable that eleven years after Nissan took out such a nice simple interface on the Juke that worked, we are at the stage where a lot of manufacturers can't even achieve that reliably. I have some technical experience but not enough to produce my own system but if I can find a connection via the OBD11 that will work with someone else's system software, I'd connect a 10" tablet and stick it over the top of our current system. Yes, I think it's that bad. I moan a lot about this car I know but I am just letting people know what's what. Everyone can ignore or appreciate the criticism as they choose. It is there as info...

Ditto... Android is Linux. For some strange reason a lot of car manufacturers have not a Scoobie when it comes to software. There are a few that actually have had their own system designed from scratch and critics have really liked one or two of them. So we poor mortals have to put up with the crap we have or spend a bit more cash and even change the car to have a decent system that simply works... It is unbelievable that eleven years after Nissan took out such a nice simple interface on the Juke that worked, we are at the stage where a lot of manufacturers can't even achieve that reliably. I have some technical experience but not enough to produce my own system but if I can find a connection via the OBD11 that will work with someone else's system software, I'd connect a 10" tablet and stick it over the top of our current system. Yes, I think it's that bad. I moan a lot about this car I know but I am just letting people know what's what. Everyone can ignore or appreciate the criticism as they choose. It is there as info...
And MacOS is based on Unix.
HERE is a follow on from Nokia and thus slightly Sybian in its look.
Anything is better than software from Microsoft. Win 10 and 11 are much more Unix like, and the better for it!
Nothing wrong with the Android OS as long as it kept up to date!
As you say a lot of implementations are based on old Android OS.

The Jag I-Pace Touch Pro uses HERE and is more OK than not.
At least it never gave up navigating half way through a journey, and the radio radio never failed!

Anything is better than software from Microsoft. Win 10 and 11 are much more Unix like, and the better for it!

At least it never gave up navigating half way through a journey, and the radio radio never failed!
Totally agree. With you all the way. After 45 years and more using computers in a wide array of circumstances gives great experience in realising so much about current systems. Just as you have described. That's why it's so interesting having the possibility of using a tablet of our own. Using Google Maps or equivalent, and if the tablet has its own SIM phone connection, will be automatic too but as I've said I've not looked into what is required to do the business. I know others have tablets working in a fashion and I can imagine they may well be very reliable. Perhaps a Raspberry Pi version has been done. Good chat...

I remember one night shift at the hospital I worked at and it was so quiet boredom had set in. To pass the time, I read the terms and conditions of the Windows 95 OS in the booklet which came with every computer in the department. Imagine my surprise when I read that Microsoft Windows was not suitable for controlling industrial processes. The CT scanner I was using ran on Windows 95! Eek.

I remember one night shift at the hospital I worked at and it was so quiet boredom had set in. To pass the time, I read the terms and conditions of the Windows 95 OS in the booklet which came with every computer in the department. Imagine my surprise when I read that Microsoft Windows was not suitable for controlling industrial processes. The CT scanner I was using ran on Windows 95! Eek.
Ouch! Windows 95 was so experimental too. Personally I had no issues with it. I looked after several pcs in our workshop and upgraded as soon as possible to the latest systems with good old Windows 7 being favourite. Our electron microscope ran IBM's OS2. That came out mid-nineties and as far as I know it still does. When I joined the local Uni one department still used BBC micros because, they did the job. No reason to upgrade. I have several laptops that all run Linux. The oldest one has Windows 11 installed. It's 14 years old 😂

Just to square the circle, I have owned and driven the ZS EV Mk1 for two years now. For the money, it has been an excellent car, no major niggles at all. I am very pleased with it...........:)
Same here. I'm uncertain about why these bad experiences are posted like they are here, they seem to have no practical purpose other than complain w/ 'death by a thousand tuts' and make others worry about their car unnecessarily. In my 14 month old MY21 Mk1 have experienced none of these issues. ZERO.

My fault I guess & perhaps I should stop reading useless social media like this.

Same here. I'm uncertain about why these bad experiences are posted like they are here, they seem to have no practical purpose other than complain w/ 'death by a thousand tuts' and make others worry about their car unnecessarily. In my 14 month old MY21 Mk1 have experienced none of these issues. ZERO.

My fault I guess & perhaps I should stop reading useless social media like this.
You are correct in many ways but without criticism how are we to determine if a product is for us or not. I've no doubt my car is in the minority and the 'small' niggles will be corrected at the next service. It's just my humble opinion that I have not had with any other car I've had in the 47 years that I've been driving.

Had my Gen1 nearly three years 38,000 miles, no major problems and very happy with the car for the price that I’ve paid, any issues dealt with quickly by Glen Hopkins East London..only outstanding item on order is the front charging LED’s, still charges and the car is great. All updates applied for free and services cheap.

Possibly an interesting note is that both the 5 and new ZS use HERE for their satnav - delve deep into the mapping licence and version and you will see it detailed there ;)

I am a big fan of the Bosch wiper blades, but as of the moment, there are no other blades available other than the original OEM blades !.
I've got my Bosch blades now and although I've not fitted then yet (waiting for winter to pass) I've held them against the originals and they look like they'll be a direct replacement.

BSD just took on a new meaning.

I've got my Bosch blades now and although I've not fitted then yet (waiting for winter to pass) I've held them against the originals and they look like they'll be a direct replacement.
When you change them, look closely at your old (original) ones for the Bosch logo on them ;) . Just changed mine on my 5 LR......:)(y)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom