My ZSEV sometimes refuses to allow the charging lead to be removed

BarryJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My ZS EV, (Dec 2020 7K miles) is becoming awkward when I'm trying to disconnect the charging cable following a charge and balance from my ROLEC 7kw wall charger.
The MG badge lights are off, and when I unlock the car on the door button and/or the key fob, the dashboard identifies that the car is no longer charging, but the car will sometimes not release the cable.
I have not had to resort to the thin release loop under the bonnet, yet.
The car eventually gives in and releases the cable, sometimes after the car is locked/unlocked a few times. I have sometimes had to turn off the wall charger to get it to release, but ROLEC do not recommend turning off the wall box.
What is the correct sequence needed to unlock the cable from the car? Thanks

If you don't hear the release operating, it does suggest there may be a fault with it (or you are going deaf ;))

OK, in that case my experience with dumb charger probably irrelevant but mine suddenly went into a phase of connecting with my Outlander phev but after about 10 seconds would then terminate the charge.

After advice gained on a forum which I would have to search for tomorrow I installed a new 'contactor' (it's just a switch)(link attached to one which is probably nothing to do with your charger) and the issue was immediately resolved although there were other issues with charger due to incompetent installation.

Garo GK32 ACDC Contactor 32 Amp 2... Amazon product ASIN B07SW4N728
Early Rolec contactors seem to have a poor reliability record, at least so I've read.

As said, prob nothing to do with your issue but might be worth googling it as a Rolec issue as that's how I found the solution to my problem.

Early Rolec contactors seem to have a poor reliability record, at least so I've read.
Yes they certainly do !.
Just to clarify, the protection unit in the case of the early Rolec wall box, is of the RCBO type safety devices and the replacement and recommended unit looks like this.
The original Rolec branded units are a big failure point.

Garo RCBO 2021-10-28 at 21.27.26.png

Yes they certainly do !.
Just to clarify, the protection unit in the case of the early Rolec wall box, is of the RCBO type safety devices and the replacement and recommended unit looks like this.
The original Rolec branded units are a big failure point.

View attachment 5442
You're right, that was my first purchase before I took the front off the charger, but found the rcbo was fine so left it in place after trial fit of its replacement.

Now got spare rcbo and controller having found the contactor was the issue.

Hi, Just to confirm - as soon as I connect the car to the Rolec wallpoint the car charges completely and then goes into balancing mode then the car states it is charged up. Once that is done I sometimes can't unplug the charging plug from the car socket.
Should the plug into the car be last to be connected and first to be disconnected?
Thanks

Hi, Just to confirm - as soon as I connect the car to the Rolec wallpoint the car charges completely and then goes into balancing mode then the car states it is charged up. Once that is done I sometimes can't unplug the charging plug from the car socket.
Should the plug into the car be last to be connected and first to be disconnected?
Thanks
Car first to be connected, then start the charge, when finished press the release trigger and you might hear the the contactor switching off / disconnecting.

Last edited:
When you plug the car into the Rolec and you DON'T have it set for a delayed charge, when you lock the car, it will carry out the shaking hands process first, then you should hear the contactor in the wall box "Thump" and closed, then the charging has commenced.
The MG badge light should be pulsing slowly in and out.
When the battery hits the 100% fully charged point, it will report this status on the dash board of the car.
It will now enter the "Balancing" process.
Now the MG badge light will have changed to displaying a soft steady constant glow.
But, remember the car is still pulling a very small charge from the wall box.
You will not be able to remove the cable from the car at this point, unless you unlock the car and finish the process prematurely.
When the "Balance" process has totally completed, the MG badge light go out and the car will automatically send a signal to switch out the contactor in the Rolec.
The cable will still be locked into the charging port at his point, even though the wall box has now returned to the standby state.
To release the cable from the charge port, you need to press the unlock button on the fob and wait until you hear the cable port latch release.
As soon as you hear it release, pull out the charge cable straight away, otherwise it will re-lock back into the charge port and very quickly, will re-trigger the wall box once again.

When you plug the car into the Rolec and you DON'T have it set for a delayed charge, when you lock the car, it will carry out the shaking hands process first, then you should hear the contactor in the wall box "Thump" and closed, then the charging has commenced.
Only one thing to add, if the car has had the EVCC update, which it should have but not all have, then you do not have to lock the car, it will start the hand shake and you will hear the thump straight away even when unlocked, just like on a rapid.

Thank you for your very comprehensive description of the process. I will try to beat the 3 second action requirement.....Wouldn't it be nice to have this info in the owner manual.
I will give feedback following my next charging episode

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom