My23 cars and efficiency

jpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've read quite a few posts on here around how larger wheels affect efficiency, can anyone supply some science to collaborate this as if the overall diameter remains the same how can the efficiency change. I ask this as it's now confirmed that the my23 cars will come with larger rims but the ranges haven't been modified to reflect any efficiency changes.

If the overall circumference is the same then I can't see how efficiency can be affected. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe smaller sidewall tyres increase the rolling resistance?

I'd have thought that a larger overall circumference would increase efficiency as for each revolution of the axle you travel further, or am I missing something?

I'd have thought that a larger overall circumference would increase efficiency as for each revolution of the axle you travel further, or am I missing something?
The circumference would have to be identical for every approved set of wheels, otherwise your speedometer would be incorrect.

Bigger rims require tyres with a different cross section.

The larger the radius the more effort is required to turn the wheel.

MY23 cars - I heard that the only My23 car that was going to be different (excusing paintwork) was the dual motor'd 4 - Larger Wheels and larger calipers / Rest of line up stayed the same - But thats all subject to 'hearsay'

I'm sure they did a test recently of family hatch back EVs, on the efficiency part of it the basic model Mégane 18inch wheels didn't give as good figures as the higher spec 20 inch wheels.
Can't remember where I saw it, mg4, Id3, Mégane, Born were all in it. Different Models and battery size of each car were in it also (51 and 64 mg4) (58 and 77 Id3 and Borns)

I've read quite a few posts on here around how larger wheels affect efficiency, can anyone supply some science to collaborate this as if the overall diameter remains the same how can the efficiency change. I ask this as it's now confirmed that the my23 cars will come with larger rims but the ranges haven't been modified to reflect any efficiency changes.
Where have you seen this confirmed, out of interest?

Err Google it? e.g.

or

In addition, larger dia needs greater force to initate and maintain speed (its a lever thing). This being offset by greater distance per revolution. Its hitting that sweet spot alluded to in the Pirelli article

Last edited:
The 17 vs 18 inch wheels...EXACTLY same circumference the tyre profile of 18 is slimmer which means more unsprung weight eg weight before suspension comes into play. This means a bumpier less smooth ride as the tyres help soak up bumps and the handling is slightly effected. So 18s actually worse......is this going to be noticed be a race driver...yes...will normal Joe Public notice probably not. As for range difference if any not even measurable

Also, as diameter is increased, profile lowered then width increases normally. Door pillar on my trophy has 18 inch spec at 235 cross section not 215 as per 17s. Guess this increases drag too

The 17 vs 18 inch wheels...EXACTLY same circumference the tyre profile of 18 is slimmer which means more unsprung weight eg weight before suspension comes into play. This means a bumpier less smooth ride as the tyres help soak up bumps and the handling is slightly effected. So 18s actually worse......is this going to be noticed be a race driver...yes...will normal Joe Public notice probably not. As for range difference if any not even measurable
That I can relate to. My brother had a SLK and went for the smaller rim option with deeper profile tyres to improve the ride quality as he was using it for driving around France not racing and he valued his spine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back