Myenergi Home Battery The LiBBI looks Fantastic

Price (well, initial starter) has been updated on the MyEnergi website
From £4595+ Vat (Plus installation)

I would guess that is the 3.6kW inverter and 5kWh battery (LIBBI-305Sh)

I would be interested in the 15kWh system but I guess your into Tesla Powerwall price range then C'mon Myenergi surprise us (libbi 15kWh System (5.0kW inverter and 15kWh battery pack - LIBBI-515Sh)

I would hazard a guess of around £750-800 per KW so £11250- £12000 for a15KW set up plus the installation if I’m right not that bad really.
Les.

Which translates as disappointingly expensive.

An MG4 SE SR comes in at £520/kWh or an SE LR at £467/kWh and they are mobile.....
Which I agree the if your like me and thinking of perhaps using the V2L capabilities of the Mg4 the ZS or the still to arrive MG5 uplift.

The only issue with that is as you say they are mobile and when they are away your back on the grid again.

But yeh I agree it’s a bit more expensive than I first thought as you will see if you watch the lastest video that I posted this morning ( LiBBi v givEnergy ) but it does appear better in some areas and well worth looking at if your thinking of home batteries.
Les.

More on LiBBi you need to watch it all the way through for the full stats.
Les

An interesting video, I couldn't find the data sheet to review to that degree. In the vid, it was a good side by side comparison and for the charge rate and output alone it beats the GivEnergy unit, it all comes down to cost and whether I should wait for the next incarnation of the Powerwall, which will also be LFP and have more MPPT's (up to 4 apparently) which would allow my 3 aspect array design to be fully separately configured to the battery. Again, this would be a price challenge, as Tesla gear isn't cheap, although the battery cost element may come down considerably (up to 20%) as LFP are cheaper?

Which translates as disappointingly expensive.

An MG4 SE SR comes in at £520/kWh or an SE LR at £467/kWh and they are mobile.....
Home storage batteries are more expensive partly because they are designed for more charge/discharge cycles and heavier usage and partly because they are made in much lower volumes.

You tend to cycle them every day whereas most cars sit on driveways/roadsides and are not really used that much, plus their much larger batteries go through far fewer cycles.

Edit: For example, if your home battery only lasted 1,500 cycles like a long-range EV, it would be dead after 4 years.

Last edited:
I would consider the Libbi. I need to work out if 5kW would be enough to offset the increase in peak tariff from switching from current cap (34p/kWh) to Go (12p & 42p/kWh). It should be but need to factor in what I can time shift to off-peak too.

I would consider the Libbi. I need to work out if 5kW would be enough to offset the increase in peak tariff from switching from current cap (34p/kWh) to Go (12p & 42p/kWh). It should be but need to factor in what I can time shift to off-peak too.
If you know how much daytime electricity you normally use, excluding charging the car the following table will show how much you need to charge the car/move stuff in off peak to offset the increased day prices on the Go tariff. Whether you use the off peak during the off peak period or during the day from a battery topped up in off peak doesn't matter.

1667033960532.png

Thanks, that’s useful. The off-peak shifting is still relevant though because if I can night shift a lot I might not need the battery at all - it is an expensive investment, so not certain we’ll go for it.

Gomev
Very interesting your chart above, I have solar as you may know, and now we can have the wife’s MG4 which as vehicle to load, and I intend try to shift some of our usage to the 50 odd KWs in the car battery, it rated to give up to 2.5 KWs without issue so got us a v2l cable and with a little bit of work setting up we can run some of the things around here from the car sometimes may be a bit of a FaF at first but could be well worth the effort, that’s when it still the MG4 long enough for us to plug into it, so I going to see how we get on with that first before I think about home batteries.

My son as solar and a Tesla Powerwall and was saying the other week that he was not to sure that the Octopus Go is worth the high daytime and standing charges now and thing about going back to a SVR instead.

It’s like everything else nothing last forever couple of weeks back Octopus raised there prices then next week Tesco are to stop the free charging while your shopping I wonder what’s next but the one other thing we all need to remember is this so called price cap is only for around 5 months now so bearing that in mind I’m just going to wait before I do anything else.
Les

I got a price for a Givenergy 9.5kwh battery fully installed for £5995.
Seriously considering it as probably going with octopus intelligent tariff 39p peak and 10p off peak 2330 - 0530hrs. I think the 9.5 kWh battery will power the house through the peak times so most of my electricity will be at the 10p rate.

Well must say that appears a very good price for a 9.5 kWh battery
Now the octopus tariff you have quoted I have never looked at before but for me it’
10p off peak but almost 42p for the rest plus 42p per day SC I know these rates vary with regions
Les.

I am curious why battery prices are so expensive in the UK.

This is my setup:

20221030_021124138_iOS.jpg

3x 5kW inverters and 4x 9kWh of storage

Cost me ฿68,000 £1,546 for each 9kWh LFP battery (CATL cells) imported from China to Thailand.

Growatt SPG 5000 ES 5kW inverters cost me ฿36,000 £818 each imported from China to Thailand

36kWh of batteries £6,184
15kW of inverters £2,454
Installation £500 (obviously going to be much cheaper here)

Total = £9,138

Along with 20kW of PV powers the house and charges my EV 99% off-grid

Has anyone considered importing from China?

I am curious why battery prices are so expensive in the UK.

This is my setup:

View attachment 12259

3x 5kW inverters and 4x 9kWh of storage

Cost me ฿68,000 £1,546 for each 9kWh LFP battery (CATL cells) imported from China to Thailand.

Growatt SPG 5000 ES 5kW inverters cost me ฿36,000 £818 each imported from China to Thailand

36kWh of batteries £6,184
15kW of inverters £2,454
Installation £500 (obviously going to be much cheaper here)

Total = £9,138

Along with 20kW of PV powers the house and charges my EV 99% off-grid

Has anyone considered importing from China?
Hi Paul nice to hear from you again I well remember your energy set up at your home in Thailand from your posted videos in the past and when I was on the podcast with you a little while ago and no question it is fantastic.

So returning to your very valid question of why are home batteries so expensive in the UK I wish I could tell you but in the last week or so MyEnergi a uk company famous for there Zappi EV chargers have launched a new one called the LiBBi you may have seen it but in this video below here it appears it might well be of Chinese origin but the price is still quite high in my opinion here in the UK at not far short of £900 per KWh which I think was a 3.5 inverter and a 5kw battery any take a look I will be interested in your comments
Les

Gomev
Very interesting your chart above, I have solar as you may know, and now we can have the wife’s MG4 which as vehicle to load, and I intend try to shift some of our usage to the 50 odd KWs in the car battery, it rated to give up to 2.5 KWs without issue so got us a v2l cable and with a little bit of work setting up we can run some of the things around here from the car sometimes may be a bit of a FaF at first but could be well worth the effort, that’s when it still the MG4 long enough for us to plug into it, so I going to see how we get on with that first before I think about home batteries.

My son as solar and a Tesla Powerwall and was saying the other week that he was not to sure that the Octopus Go is worth the high daytime and standing charges now and thing about going back to a SVR instead.

It’s like everything else nothing last forever couple of weeks back Octopus raised there prices then next week Tesco are to stop the free charging while your shopping I wonder what’s next but the one other thing we all need to remember is this so called price cap is only for around 5 months now so bearing that in mind I’m just going to wait before I do anything else.
Les
@Les burrows from the spreadsheet I did above, you can see a bit of a rule of thumb in that if you can use approx 25% of your weekly usage in the off peak period, then that is the break even point.
That's a fairly good approximation.
e.g. take the 10kWh / day line( obvs 70kWh/wk.) If you manage to use additional c25kWh at off peak then that is the break even point cost wise between Go and SVR. Therefore total 95 of which 25 off peak.. about a quarter give or take as a rough guide.
Any more than that and you are quids in. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom