Mysterious Opening Windows :)

martintheb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
OK, we're on holiday here in Norfolk. Got back to the holiday cottage last night, locked the car and came in. This morning, we went out to the car - it was unlocked, and all the windows were open. Nothing has been taken, doesn't look as if anything has been disturbed. It looks as if in the middle of the night, the car woke up, opened all its own windows and unlocked itself just for the hell of it.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what might have happened?

OK - this is quite funny. I think I've worked out what must have happened. I did a search on this forum for "open windows" and I saw reference to holding down the lock and the windows all close. So, I just went out to the car, pressed the unlock button on the key and held it down - and lo and behold, the car unlocks and all the windows opened !

So I think what probably happened is that my keys were in my pocket and the unlock button got pressed, perhaps by another key, and the car unlocked and the windows opened.

So - can this "facility" be switched off? I mean, what is the point of it?

(I rarely actually use my key anyway - I just keep it in my pocket. I just press the button on the door to lock/unlock the car.)

AFAIK there's no setting to switch it off.
It is useful in Summer when on a hot day you can open all the windows to let the hot air out before you get in.

Take the battery out. Or put a piece of paper on the battery to stop the battery making contact . Should you need it just remove the paper.

There is nearly always a workaround

Isn't strange folks !.
In one thread, we find some ZS EV owners who would like to have the total / global open / closure facility on their cars.
Where you can open / close all of the windows with a long press of the fob button.
Then in this thread, we have a MG5 owner who HAS the facility who would like to know if you can disable it !.
Horse's for courses alright !

Swap cars, problem solved :ROFLMAO:
🤣 I CAN live without the total closure feature on our ZS EV facelift, but my old bones have really come to really appreciates the higher ride height.
A little less grunting and groaning is heard when getting in and out of the car these days.
My days of lower ride height cars, are well and truly over :cry:

So - can this "facility" be switched off? I mean, what is the point of it?

(I rarely actually use my key anyway - I just keep it in my pocket. I just press the button on the door to lock/unlock the car.)
Organise your pockets better :)

OK, we're on holiday here in Norfolk. Got back to the holiday cottage last night, locked the car and came in. This morning, we went out to the car - it was unlocked, and all the windows were open. Nothing has been taken, doesn't look as if anything has been disturbed. It looks as if in the middle of the night, the car woke up, opened all its own windows and unlocked itself just for the hell of it.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what might have happened?
I can understand the windows being dropped I've had the same so now use a Faraday case to keep the keys in but i don't understand the car being unlocked. It should have locked itself after 30 seconds or so if no door was opened in that time so that's my worry about what you say. The window drop feature is brilliant in the summer allowing the hot air to escape and it also works in reverse at shutting all the windows on locking the car if held down.

I had a 2001 Mk3 Ford Mondeo Ghia X with this global opening and closing feature. I didn't have tinted rear windows so I had some of those cheap shades that are held on with a sucker. SWMBO was showing the feature off to my brother and it took one of the shades down into the door and wrapped it around the window winder motor and snapped the cable. An expensive mistake. :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom