Nearly Here

amdmad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just been sent this by dealer
They want £349 to protect the paint work ?
What are peoples thoughts?
Screenshot_20221024-101419_Email.jpg

I would find out what work they're going to do for that money.

i.e what preparation they're doing to the paint work before applying the paint protection. What product they're using for the protection and how long it's expected to last before needing to be reapplied.

Without the adequate preparation work you'll have bodywork that is protected but might not necessarily look the best as it still could have swirls, scratches and imperfections etc.

Seems to me they're using clever wording to suggest you have to get this paintwork protection alongside any cleanup they do before handing it over.

If it were me I would reject that and make sure they do what all dealers should, and tidy up the car for the customer

I wouldn't do it personally . There are lots of after market products that are just as good are easy to apply and a lot cheaper.
For instance I got a full supagard kit for about £25

It will be our 1st New car,we are used to buying 10 years and older cars,so don't really know the tricks of the trade???
I believe the majority would say don’t bother.
PS Best wishes on your first new car hope you enjoy it and have a long relationship.

they went through this when I was buying the car too, it’s an extra you can pay for and your covered I believe for certain damages to the paint work within a certain time frame. Just like the one where they apply that chemical to the fabric and it protects and stops liquid being absorbed.

It’s just personal choice but it is expensive on top of everything else :)

I was offered a similar product by my dealer, including internal fabric sprayed protection. I was vaguely interested until they quoted the price of £500 then I fell about laughing!

I'm glad yours is nearly here. I'm just off the phone to my dealer and mine hasn't even arrived with them yet. 🙄

Some systems are better than others.
I had "Gen3" paint protection on a Prius that was brilliant, it kept the car looking as good as new for the 4 years I had it.
I have "GardX" on my ZS that isn't so good, it only lasted 18 months then it didn't stop rain spots appearing.
TBH I wouldn't bother now, there are plenty of detailers that will do it for a lot less money.

Some systems are better than others.
I had "Gen3" paint protection on a Prius that was brilliant, it kept the car looking as good as new for the 4 years I had it.
I have "GardX" on my ZS that isn't so good, it only lasted 18 months then it didn't stop rain spots appearing.
TBH I wouldn't bother now, there are plenty of detailers that will do it for a lot less money.
Yes, you are better off going to a detailers to have a paint treatment as they will properly clean and prep the paintwork first - which is crucial.

You could do it yourself but most people lack the knowledge (not just a wash). If you are confident, it can be a cheap way.

Yes, £400-600 is what you’ll probably pay for a decent professional service (for a coating that will last). But beware dealers who might skimp on the prep - check where it will be done, what processes they will use and ask a lot of questions.

Might seem expensive, but so would be remedial paintwork on your car in a few years. Of course, if you won’t keep it long then probably not worth it.

My dealer wanted £399 for the outside paint protection and the same again for the interior. This was after he commented on how clean my 10 year old Focus was. I declined and referred him to his previous comment.
I use Armour All Shield once a year and Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner to wash it with about once a month. The water remains beading on the surface the whole year.

I nearly bought one from there - but the manager was a stingy git, and wouldn't even throw in some mats - so I bought one from Wakefield - who are throwing some mats in. I was appalled at the price for this paint protection product, seems like a right rip off. Its not like you can see it working - or know if its even been done. I personally would scrub that off the list - plus they added on other extras - some weird care package for £200+ too - and even £20 for a full charge of the electric battery, which I think is very cheeky. Wasn't best pleased with all the extras so that was another reason I walked away.

Just been sent this by dealer
They want £349 to protect the paint work ?
What are peoples thoughts? View attachment 12104
Don’t do it! 9/10 the dealer won’t know shit about detailing. The paintwork won’t be properly decontaminated and cleaned prior to applying their coating. And the product may just get slapped on with inconsistencies etc.

The last car I bought I said no to the full Autoglym coating package but they then went and did it anyway for free in the end. I was so pissed off because it was done horribly, swirl marks, the lot. I ended up having to do a full decontamination, not only to clean the car properly but to remove the shoddily applied wax coating!

I’d suggest researching some stuff about detailing, buy the products you need and do it yourself or if you don’t have the time or inclination but do want the car to be protected make sure you get a proper detailer to do it for you.

Get a local professional detail to do it if you really want it done - may be a few quid more, but you will certainly get a far better job done that will likely last longer.

Don’t do it! 9/10 the dealer won’t know sh*t about detailing. The paintwork won’t be properly decontaminated and cleaned prior to applying their coating. And the product may just get slapped on with inconsistencies etc.

The last car I bought I said no to the full Autoglym coating package but they then went and did it anyway for free in the end. I was so pissed off because it was done horribly, swirl marks, the lot. I ended up having to do a full decontamination, not only to clean the car properly but to remove the shoddily applied wax coating!

I’d suggest researching some stuff about detailing, buy the products you need and do it yourself or if you don’t have the time or inclination but do want the car to be protected make sure you get a proper detailer to do it for you.
If they did it without permission, I’d be charging them for the decontamination!

If they did it without permission, I’d be charging them for the decontamination!
Well to be fair I got the big Autoglym bag of goodies for free so that was a decent trade-off for my day’s work sorting the car out. 😀

And I’d have been giving it the full works anyway knowing that although it looked shiny, it wasn’t actually clean which turned out to indeed be the case!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back