New 2023 MG5 facelift charging issue. AC this time!

chrismg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve had my 2023 MG 5 facelift for 1 year now, it’s just had its first service. I’ve only been driving it 10 of those 12 months though because they had to replace the power supply unit in the car because DC charging didn’t work when it came out the factory (I posted about that).

The latest issue is AC charging either stops after 2% (sometimes longer). Or, it doesn’t start at all. Might happen for DC too but haven’t checked. My 10 year old Range Rover is proving more reliable! Tried multiple chargers and cables, including 3 pin slow charger.

I’ll keep you folks updated on what the issue is, she’s going in on Friday. What’s the prediction? I think the battery might be at fault but just a guess. Reason for thinking battery is it stops charging so randomly.

Really frustrated for you!

I've only had a couple of non starts in 5 months and just one inop charger but it's really frustrating, especially when your next to a Smug Grandfather rights chap in his Model S charging for free!!!

Last edited:
I’ve had my 2023 MG 5 facelift for 1 year now, it’s just had its first service. I’ve only been driving it 10 of those 12 months though because they had to replace the power supply unit in the car because DC charging didn’t work when it came out the factory (I posted about that).

The latest issue is AC charging either stops after 2% (sometimes longer). Or, it doesn’t start at all. Might happen for DC too but haven’t checked. My 10 year old Range Rover is proving more reliable! Tried multiple chargers and cables, including 3 pin slow charger.

I’ll keep you folks updated on what the issue is, she’s going in on Friday. What’s the prediction? I think the battery might be at fault but just a guess. Reason for thinking battery is it stops charging so randomly.
Might be a long shot but have you checked if there is a charging schedule or SOC limit set on the car itself?

Might be a long shot but have you checked if there is a charging schedule or SOC limit set on the car itself?
Yeh, I normally charge via a schedule but turning that off and charging on demand has the same issue.

Yeh, I normally charge via a schedule but turning that off and charging on demand has the same issue.
Looks like you pretty much ruled out any outside factors, very little you can do at this stage other than maybe inspect the charge port and use some contact spray on the pins..

Got the car back. They did a software update and “tweaked one of the settings”, a setting users don’t have access to. They were a big vague. So far so good, but it was random before e.g. It had been fine for a few days in a row before it went in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom