New first time ev owner

Okay sorry, I did not think to check the number plate in the picture ( my bad ).
Purely went on the description in the post.
If it was not right on collection day, then you did the right thing to walk away from it.
Sounds like it had not been very well looked after, by the sounds of it.
Enjoy your brand new car !.
Hopefully I will cheers, it was an ex motability car.

Welcome Steven and enjoy your new car and you will love it we all do

Well I never ended up getting the car as there was too many cosmetic issues that was never shown to me. On the plus side I'm picking up a brand new one tomorrow.
Steven can I jus ask what you mean buy cosmetic issues on a car so young 21 plate just out of interest that’s all. Please you have found another and of course bought it.
I sure you will be happy with it.
Les

Steven can I jus ask what you mean buy cosmetic issues on a car so young 21 plate just out of interest that’s all. Please you have found another and of course bought it.
I sure you will be happy with it.
Les
Hi Les
I turned it down for the following reasons.

1, Steering wheel colum broken / lose (hand control for motability car)
2, Rip to boot head lining.
3, Boot floor damaged.
4, A all plastic trim in boot and door lid scratched.
5, Damage to N/S/R door panel arm rest.
6. Couple of deep scratches to N/S/F sill.
7. Car not been valeted internally. (maybe just a hoover as the floor mats where missing)
8, Gaurd protection hadn't been done. Dipite the sales man advising me it had because the bag was placed in the car.
A, Car seat had dirt marks on them.
B, Side of car was covered in tar from the road.
For these reasons this is how I know it hadn't been done & the instructions for the guard protection would be the car had to be clean form any contaminations.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to the forum. I picked up an MG5 Exclusive (pre-facelift), 10 days ago and am really enjoying it.
I’ve had all the same issues re charging as you and am still getting my head around it. I have an Indra Pro charger at home and am on Octopus Go for my energy supply. This tariff gives 4 hours electricity at 7.5p per kwh between 00:30 & 04:30 and tonight is the first time I’ve attempted to use it so I have everything crossed! I also used a Tesco Pod Point Rapid charger a few days ago just to try to find out how it worked; that’s still work in progress! If you haven’t already got one I would advise you buy a Type 2 to Type 2 32amp 5metre charge cable to keep in the boot. You can use this at “fast” chargers at supermarkets etc; Tesco and some others are still free for these. If you have a charger installed at home if it doesn’t have a cable, (untethered), you could use the type 2 cable. Mine has a cable, (tethered), so I don’t need to. As I said, I’m really enjoying the car and am learning all the time and this is a great forum to ask questions. Hope your pick up goes well and that you are pleased with the car.

Hi Les
I turned it down for the following reasons.

1, Steering wheel colum broken / lose (hand control for motability car)
2, Rip to boot head lining.
3, Boot floor damaged.
4, A all plastic trim in boot and door lid scratched.
5, Damage to N/S/R door panel arm rest.
6. Couple of deep scratches to N/S/F sill.
7. Car not been valeted internally. (maybe just a hoover as the floor mats where missing)
8, Gaurd protection hadn't been done. Dipite the sales man advising me it had because the bag was placed in the car.
A, Car seat had dirt marks on them.
B, Side of car was covered in tar from the road.
For these reasons this is how I know it hadn't been done & the instructions for the guard protection would be the car had to be clean form any contaminations.
What where they even thinking, offering up that car in such a poor state of preparation ?.
Very few people would accept a car presented like that !.
It clearly looks like it had received a very quick wash and then was offered up for collection - Poor !.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to the forum. I picked up an MG5 Exclusive (pre-facelift), 10 days ago and am really enjoying it.
I’ve had all the same issues re charging as you and am still getting my head around it. I have an Indra Pro charger at home and am on Octopus Go for my energy supply. This tariff gives 4 hours electricity at 7.5p per kwh between 00:30 & 04:30 and tonight is the first time I’ve attempted to use it so I have everything crossed! I also used a Tesco Pod Point Rapid charger a few days ago just to try to find out how it worked; that’s still work in progress! If you haven’t already got one I would advise you buy a Type 2 to Type 2 32amp 5metre charge cable to keep in the boot. You can use this at “fast” chargers at supermarkets etc; Tesco and some others are still free for these. If you have a charger installed at home if it doesn’t have a cable, (untethered), you could use the type 2 cable. Mine has a cable, (tethered), so I don’t need to. As I said, I’m really enjoying the car and am learning all the time and this is a great forum to ask questions. Hope your pick up goes well and that you are pleased with the car.
Hi, good to hear you are enjoying the MG5. What problems are you having with PodPoint rapid chargers?

Hi, good to hear you are enjoying the MG5. What problems are you having with PodPoint rapid chargers?
I think I might have tapped my payment card more than once and interrupted the charge by unlocking the car not realising it would restart. This was on a rapid. When I went to the fast charger I realised I had been sold the wrong cable! Gradually getting there though. Charged at home last night. Octopus Go tariff. Started at 56%. Finished at 100%. 120 miles added to range. Cost £2.05. 120 miles in my old Land Rover would have been about £25!

As another first timer on this forum, I've posted a few times about various things, however I didn't ask at the time about the most economical way to drive an MG5 on a long journey, I've had an unnerving experience of nearly running out of Battery/Miles, ended up at home with a lot less than I thought safe.
So I would like to ask the membership how to go about going, say from Scunthorpe to Paignton in one go, do you think it's possible, or I'll need to set off a lot earlier to take advantage of on route chargers.
Are there things shouldn't I use onroute that might swallow battery and miles, like the SatNav, AirCon, ACC and MG Pilot, the Phone charger and things like that, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

As another first timer on this forum, I've posted a few times about various things, however I didn't ask at the time about the most economical way to drive an MG5 on a long journey, I've had an unnerving experience of nearly running out of Battery/Miles, ended up at home with a lot less than I thought safe.
So I would like to ask the membership how to go about going, say from Scunthorpe to Paignton in one go, do you think it's possible, or I'll need to set off a lot earlier to take advantage of on route chargers.
Are there things shouldn't I use onroute that might swallow battery and miles, like the SatNav, AirCon, ACC and MG Pilot, the Phone charger and things like that, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Hi Rotohead welcome to the forum
So first off I know you have an MG5 what I don’t know is which MG5, SR or LR so please update you Avatar it helps a lot when members are trying to help you ok.
So in answer to your journey question, that journey is about 300 miles so which ever car you have, you could not do it in one go you will have to stop and charger, so if I can, here my route, depart Scunthorpe and when you get to the Bristol area there is a Gridserve charging hub with 5/6 CCS rapids just 1/4 mile if that, off the M5 motorway which is 200 miles from your starting point it a very place nice to eat also it called Mollies diner postcode BS10 7TL.
I stop there a couple of times a year going down to Devon to visit family and have never had a problem there.
So charge eat and then your about 100 miles from there to Paignton when you set off again with a good amount back in the batteries.
Of the items you mentioned in your post only the A/C will use any of your battery range I tend to cool the car to a nice level and then turn it down or off for a while and just do that from time to time or open the windows a little if possible.
Hope you find this helpful and don’t forget you best friend on a journey like this is ZapMaps or ABRP.
Les.

You will definitely be pushing it trying to do that in an LR and an SR would not do it.
Les's charging suggestions regarding rapid chargers sound spot on.
Will you be able to use the 'granny' or fast EVSE at your destination?

... and of course what's not been mentioned is speed. 70mph seems disproportionately more greedy to me than 65, and 75 is even worse. But there you go - I'm not averse to stopping and I'd sooner feel like I was "making progress" than feeling like I'm dawdling and constrained, so I tend to cruise at about 70 when I can. Just means I have to stop more frequently. When I compared faster with more stops with slower with less stops when planning a journey from Berkshire to Scotland recently the door to door time was about the same, though I suspect it would have used more power (pence) to travel quicker. But it's so much cheaper, even on public chargers, that I'm not going to obsess over a few quid extra on the few occasions I do long runs.

I tend to use ACC when cruising on long runs to prevent me wavering up and down speedwise. If you set it to each speed and watch the right hand needle (power usage) for a while you'll see that on the whole the faster you go the higher the consumption. It does seem to accelerate more aggressively than I would, so I sometimes take care of that myself but I'm not really sure that makes much difference - to get the car from 0 - 60 probably takes the same power whether you do it quickly or slowly. Again, not worth the worry really, so long as your not trying to break the speed record for 0 - 60!!!

I agree with most of what has been said, although I would have no hesitation in using AirCon for the whole journey, it will take about 10 miles off your Gom/range immediately you switch it on and then that's your range. In mine at a standstill with the radio and A/C on it is using about 1amp, so negligible. As @smokie mentioned speed is a killer, I like to cruise on ACC at about 63-65 doesn't seem to make much difference journey timewise.
Again if you can charge locally at your destination you don't need to worry about arriving quite low but mid journey stops I like to be stopping at about 150-180 miles, just my preference, but for a journey of 300 miles I would push it to 180-200 to allow for adding enough to complete the journey and I would probably top up to about 85-90%, but no more, again just my preference.
I'm off to Southampton in a couple of days from Leeds and am planning on stopping at Banbury which is loaded with chargers galore of all different colours but is only 150 miles leaving 100 to go.
I did quite fancy stopping at the new Fastned chargers at Oxford in the park and ride at about 180 miles but there doesn't appear to be any facilities for relaxing whilst charging.

I agree with most of what has been said, although I would have no hesitation in using AirCon for the whole journey, it will take about 10 miles off your Gom/range immediately you switch it on and then that's your range. In mine at a standstill with the radio and A/C on it is using about 1amp, so negligible. As @smokie mentioned speed is a killer, I like to cruise on ACC at about 63-65 doesn't seem to make much difference journey timewise.
Again if you can charge locally at your destination you don't need to worry about arriving quite low but mid journey stops I like to be stopping at about 150-180 miles, just my preference, but for a journey of 300 miles I would push it to 180-200 to allow for adding enough to complete the journey and I would probably top up to about 85-90%, but no more, again just my preference.
I'm off to Southampton in a couple of days from Leeds and am planning on stopping at Banbury which is loaded with chargers galore of all different colours but is only 150 miles leaving 100 to go.
I did quite fancy stopping at the new Fastned chargers at Oxford in the park and ride at about 180 miles but there doesn't appear to be any facilities for relaxing whilst charging.
I often use the fast charger in IKEA Southampton, sit in the takeaway or in your car with a hotdog, fries and a drink for £2.50 although you do have to pay parking, enjoy 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom