New first time ev owner

As another first timer on this forum, I've posted a few times about various things, however I didn't ask at the time about the most economical way to drive an MG5 on a long journey, I've had an unnerving experience of nearly running out of Battery/Miles, ended up at home with a lot less than I thought safe.
So I would like to ask the membership how to go about going, say from Scunthorpe to Paignton in one go, do you think it's possible, or I'll need to set off a lot earlier to take advantage of on route chargers.
Are there things shouldn't I use onroute that might swallow battery and miles, like the SatNav, AirCon, ACC and MG Pilot, the Phone charger and things like that, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Just for information I'm on my way to Southampton from leeds and have stopped at Banbury cross retail park for a pee break and top up.
As a reference point ACC set at 65 aircon set at 21 all the way. When reduced to 50% SOC had travelled 114 miles with 113 remaining on the GOM. See photos for situation at break stop

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_132911092_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220824_132911092_HDR.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220824_133303981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220824_133303981_HDR.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 81
Hi Rotohead welcome to the forum
So first off I know you have an MG5 what I don’t know is which MG5, SR or LR so please update you Avatar it helps a lot when members are trying to help you ok.
So in answer to your journey question, that journey is about 300 miles so which ever car you have, you could not do it in one go you will have to stop and charger, so if I can, here my route, depart Scunthorpe and when you get to the Bristol area there is a Gridserve charging hub with 5/6 CCS rapids just 1/4 mile if that, off the M5 motorway which is 200 miles from your starting point it a very place nice to eat also it called Mollies diner postcode BS10 7TL.
I stop there a couple of times a year going down to Devon to visit family and have never had a problem there.
So charge eat and then your about 100 miles from there to Paignton when you set off again with a good amount back in the batteries.
Of the items you mentioned in your post only the A/C will use any of your battery range I tend to cool the car to a nice level and then turn it down or off for a while and just do that from time to time or open the windows a little if possible.
Hope you find this helpful and don’t forget you best friend on a journey like this is ZapMaps or ABRP.
Les.
Hi Les, thanks for the info, my MG5 is the LR Exclusive 61.1 kWh battery, I have had 2 100% charges at home on the 2.2kWh (Granny) showing over 300 miles, 1st 303, 2nd 313, also thanks for the heads-up on Mollie's, I've made a note on my phone, just updated my Sig to show actual vehicle, as it's not on the dropdown

Last edited:
Just for information I'm on my way to Southampton from leeds and have stopped at Banbury cross retail park for a pee break and top up.
As a reference point ACC set at 65 aircon set at 21 all the way. When reduced to 50% SOC had travelled 114 miles with 113 remaining on the GOM. See photos for situation at break stop
Well that was a quick charge, went to costa drank a coffee came back and it was 91% still charging at 11kw. Quickly stopped it and resumed journey. Photo attached of journey end for the day.
PS journey was in mode N and kers 1on motorways/dual carriageway and kers 3 elsewhere. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_171110547_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220824_171110547_HDR.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 76
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom