New heating bug?

dave99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I don't remember seeing this one before :ROFLMAO:

I pressed the button to turn A/C on, which it duly did and showed the aircon screen - but that screen doesn't stay on for long so just as I hit the temp increase button on the screen the screen disappeared. The temp setting continued right up to maximum and wouldn't accept going back down. I tried the controls on the screen and the steering wheel and while it would register the down control and reduce the temp while pressing the buttons it then automatically put it back up to max when I let go. Turning heating off by the physical button turned heating off, but when I turned it back on again it was still in the stuck max state.

It would seem that it registered my initial press on the button but not the release as the screen had disappeared - so it thinks I'm continuously pressing increase, even when pressing other buttons. The only thing I could do to get it out of this state was to reboot the infotainment.

If you turned it on with the physical button on the dash, this is normal.
To access the full set of controls, swipe down from the top centre of the screen where you'll be able to see everything.
This screen will stay there until you either swipe up or press the home button.

If you turned it on with the physical button on the dash, this is normal.
To access the full set of controls, swipe down from the top centre of the screen where you'll be able to see everything.
This screen will stay there until you either swipe up or press the home button.
yeah I know it disappearing quickly is normal, but you can touch the controls while it is there - I just managed to touch a control as it was about to disappear and it got all confused. When I brought the screen back from the top swipe it still wouldn't let me reduce the temperature without it taking over and putting it up to max again.

Have you tried using the app?
no, I was driving and needed the aircon on to demist the windscreen - but I didn't want it at max temperature :D It was fine once it rebooted.

I don't think you can use the app to change temp while you are driving? I thought that was just when the 10 minute preheat was activated from the app

My suggestion about the app was to see if you could alter the temperature properly without fault. You are right, the app is for pre-heating but I'm sure a temp set by the app remains that for normal heating control.

When I activate the HVAC from the steering wheel the screen appears briefly, as you say, but the right steering wheel buttons are still active until you press the centre button again to switch it off and then you get the disabled message. I don't try to catch the brief screen.

That's not correct. If you change the temperature using the app for pre-heating, when you get back in the car the temperature on the central screen is still as you left it. At least it is in my car.

Another thing, in the SE the HVAC screen stays on until you press the star button a second time. As I believe it should do. I think this vanishing screen thing is a Trophy bug.

I am corrected.

Whether or not the disappearing HVAC screen is a bug in the Trophy is open to debate, to my thinking. The screen only shows what the steering wheel button can do to the HVAC and, perhaps, the coders felt that a quick reminder was only necessary to allow the display to return to, say, the navigation screen.

The aircon screen shows you the temperature and fan settings as you change them in real time. This is actually useful. I would find it most disconcerting to get a mere fleeting glimpse of this and then back to the main screen. In the SE the driver has control of when he wants to return to the main screen, which I think is as it shoud be.

Obviously I must remain as a singleton. Note that for every push/toggle of the steering wheel button the HVAC screen returns to tell me the current temp/fan speed. But absolute numbers are unimportant to me just 'is it too hot/cold' or 'is the fan speed too fast/slow'. Mostly I run on auto and just adjust the temp.

Obviously I must remain as a singleton. Note that for every push/toggle of the steering wheel button the HVAC screen returns to tell me the current temp/fan speed. But absolute numbers are unimportant to me just 'is it too hot/cold' or 'is the fan speed too fast/slow'. Mostly I run on auto and just adjust the temp.
No, not a singleton. I find the HVAC screen appearing whenever I use the steering wheel controls and then disappearing automatically to let me see the main screen once I've finished adjusting the fan or temperature is just fine.

Most people are saying that it disappears again almost immediately in the Trophy though, not "once you're finished adjusting the fan or temperature". In the SE you finish adjusting the fan or temperature, then you press the star again and the HVAC screen politely goes away. The timing of the disappearance is controlled by the driver, so if you want to see it for longer than two seconds, you can.

Most people are saying that it disappears again almost immediately in the Trophy though, not "once you're finished adjusting the fan or temperature". In the SE you finish adjusting the fan or temperature, then you press the star again and the HVAC screen politely goes away. The timing of the disappearance is controlled by the driver, so if you want to see it for longer than two seconds, you can.
I know that. I'm simply saying that the way it works in my Trophy suits me fine. I can read the temperature and fan speed while I'm adjusting them, which is all I need.

Last edited:
Well, I've only driven a Trophy for about half an hour, once, and we didn't get that well acquainted, so I can't tell. I like having control over when the screen disappears, personally.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back