New here, considering the MG5 EV

Bluecar1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

I currently drive a Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid which is 5 years old and up for replacement

I am looking at a a plugin or Full EV for the replacement, after a little looking around I stumbled across the MG5 EV, after a bit more research on the web etc i visited my local MG dealer today to have a look and was pleasantly surprised

build quality, std kit etc seem good so time for more in depth research

the other option was the ZS EV, but i am not a fan of the CUV / SUV format and while i wouldn't rule it out it wouldn't be my first choice

so going to be wandering through the forum posts looking for info, recalls, common issues etc, all the normal due diligence type things

do we know the battery tech used? i assume LiPo?
is it an inhouse build or bought in from a partner like LG?

thanks

Peter
Bluecar1

Hi, I got my MG5 SR Excite in March and have done 11k miles.
I mostly charge at home on a 7.5kW EVSE.
It is a great car, the range has been hit by the cold weather.
My commute is 70 miles which I can easily add using my 5p kwh overnight tariff.
Did you get a test drive?

It's my understanding the batteries are CATL manufactured under license by SAIC the MG parent company. CATL have the largest share of the EV battery market worldwide.

my commute to the office is a 120mile round trip so well within the range (even taking into account a 15-20% range loss due to cold weather seen on the Ioniq EV's)

but my work at times takes me 200-300 mile from home so the odd top up on a motorway services fast charger is a good possibility

In terms of recalls, a forum member raised an issue regarding the brake light not coming on during KERS and within a few months a recall was issued with the fix via a software update.

On the flip side I've read a few people on the ZS forum having to wait a few weeks for parts when their vehicle has gone in. This could be an MG thing or just general carnage in the supply chair world right now.

Personally for the money and the usage you describe I think it could be an ideal option for you if you like it in the flesh already.

@Ozzie1989 if it had an NCAP rating it would likely be a easy choice

range and kit of the long range seem a good fit for my driving, lets see where this leads

Order it now mate! Get the Long Range Exclusive. That’s what I got and nor regretting it at all. Just had it four weeks tomorrow. Yes, the range has been hit by the cold weather but as I glide past those ICE drivers filling up with fossil fuels it makes me wonder what price petrol and diesel will go up to! I know that the leccy has gone up in price but it’s a darn site less expensive or polluting to the environment!

can you set a charge to start on schedule? and can you set it to preheat the cabin if plugged into a wall box charger?

Preheat is not possible on the current MG5 unfortunately.

I downloaded that manual before I got my LR Exclusive but it is not current as it doesn't mention Pilot anywhere, but I guess most of it is about right.

i have downloaded it and having a look through, nothing surprising in it, just confirming how certain things work and a few things like checking tyre sizes and finding cost per tyre for replacements as been caught by costly oddball sized tyres on a previous car

Well well Pete, @Bluecar1 , fancy you turning up here!

Been a long time since You, Tess, and I had that first iconic Ioniq meet and greet!

iconicioniq2.jpg

Fancy yourself a 'proper' EV now then?

:)

Welcome,by the way!

Well well Pete, @Bluecar1 , fancy you turning up here!

Been a long time since You, Tess, and I had that first iconic Ioniq meet and greet!

View attachment 5930

Fancy yourself a 'proper' EV now then?

:)

Welcome,by the way!
i wondered what happened to you steve, as i hadn't seen you on the other forum for a while, Tess is still around over there, and i am still one of the mods

I downloaded that manual before I got my LR Exclusive but it is not current as it doesn't mention Pilot anywhere, but I guess most of it is about right.
They've linked the old version of the user manual to the website - I've got the MG5LR PDF downloaded but it's best part of 40MB so won't upload here.

If anyone wants it - I'll email or sort something out

Last edited:
can you set a charge to start on schedule? and can you set it to preheat the cabin if plugged into a wall box charger?
The charge scheduling has to be via a smart charger or some timer mechanism out with the car - this along with not having an app are the main criticisms of the MG5, no doubt addressed in the (alleged) 2022 refresh, similar to what the facelift ZS has received no doubt.

The charge scheduling has to be via a smart charger or some timer mechanism out with the car - this along with not having an app are the main criticisms of the MG5, no doubt addressed in the (alleged) 2022 refresh, similar to what the facelift ZS has received no doubt.
so is that (alleged) refresh in addition to the new long range variant being released?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom