New here, considering the MG5 EV

so is that (alleged) refresh in addition to the new long range variant being released?
The original MG5 was very slightly refreshed in September 2021 with the Long Range version (original Standard Range discontinued with only existing stock being sold) - this added a slightly larger battery of 61.1kWh and MG Pilot suite (other minor changes too).

The MG5 Facelift is coming to Europe but RHD version and UK homologation will take longer - so rumoured as being released late 2022

The original MG5 was very slightly refreshed in September 2021 with the Long Range version (original Standard Range discontinued with only existing stock being sold) - this added a slightly larger battery of 61.1kWh and MG Pilot suite (other minor changes too).

The MG5 Facelift is coming to Europe but RHD version and UK homologation will take longer - so rumoured as being released late 2022

Yeah I'd read the same things which is why I ordered a LR which will (hopefully) be here March. Doubt I'll be keeping it for the full term as the shiny new updated version will definitely turn my magpie head!!

Hi,

so going to be wandering through the forum posts looking for info, recalls, common issues etc, all the normal due diligence type things

thanks

Peter
Bluecar1
Remember when looking through forums including this one that this is where people post about problems or ask questions. So to a casual observer you will mainly see only the bad and is not always representative of the car..

Remember when looking through forums including this one that this is where people post about problems or ask questions. So to a casual observer you will mainly see only the bad and is not always representative of the car..
yep, know that as i am one of the global moderators over on the ioniq forum for my current car, but always good to have a reminder

They've linked the old version of the user manual to the website - I've got the MG5LR PDF downloaded but it's best part of 40MB so won't upload here.

If anyone wants it - I'll email or sort something out
I'd like a copy for the LR please, are you able to share via Google drive or similar?

looking at the specs and manuals i have now eliminated the 5EV

so focusing on the new ZS EV

not my ideal choice, but still in running

Last edited:
so to cut a long story short

due to the size of the ZS, the issues around service plans tied to dealers rather than with MG so you could use any dealer you chose for service, and digging deeper into systems like TPMS, smart cruise , lower electrical efficiency but compensated by a larger battery etc i had just about discounted the ZS EV this time around

the final point being the long wait for new cars on all car makes due to global semiconductor shortage,

My Hyundai dealer contacted me last Monday as they knew i was looking and let me know they had a top spec Ioniq plugin in the showroom and offered me a silly part-ex value for mine making it hard to resist

so went to look at it Tuesday, signed the paperwork Wednesday

thankyou for all the information in here, i will continue to watch MG EV's to see how they evolve over the next few years, as they are still in the running for my next car

I use a jug of luke warm water, so splosh & go!
Never, ever, ever, ever do this.... Ever. Any slight defect and given a high enough temperature differential between the screen and the water and it'll crack like an egg.....

Never, ever, ever, ever do this.... Ever. Any slight defect and given a high enough temperature differential between the screen and the water and it'll crack like an egg.....
I have done it for 30+ years without an issue including on chipped & damaged screens. The water must be luke warm, I use tap water at close to room temperature. No different to hot air blasting or sunshine!

It sometimes refreezes, so a second pot is required showing it is not too warm.

It works very well at close to freezing temperatures especially when the ice is smooth ice. I do not do it when temperatures are very cold, say below minus 5C. It also demists inside too

I use a jug of luke warm water, so splosh & go!

I’m afraid I’m with @EVsince2016 on this.

Before my first EV that had pre-heat capability, I used to do this every frosty morning. Hot water straight from the tap, into a 2 L empty pop bottle.

The trick was to pour sufficient hot water onto the screen to warm it slightly to stop it fogging up with your breath when you got in to drive. I used to smirk to myself watching my neighbour labour with a scraper, I was out the door and gone within 30 seconds or so leaving the neighbour scraping away.

And of course once he’d scraped off the ice, he would have to wait whilst the demister got to work.

I did this for more years than I can remember!

I’m afraid I’m with @EVsince2016 on this.

Before my first EV that had pre-heat capability, I used to do this every frosty morning. Hot water straight from the tap, into a 2 L empty pop bottle.

The trick was to pour sufficient hot water onto the screen to warm it slightly to stop it fogging up with your breath when you got in to drive. I used to smirk to myself watching my neighbour labour with a scraper, I was out the door and gone within 30 seconds or so leaving the neighbour scraping away.

And of course once he’d scraped off the ice, he would have to wait whilst the demister got to work.

I did this for more years than I can remember!
I can understand this with an ICE car where you have to wait 10-15 minutes for the heater to warm up enough to defrost and demist the screen, but it's not necessary with the MG EVs. Both my ZS and SWMBO's MG5 defrost and demist in 2-3 minutes with the front and rear screen demisters on.

I can understand this with an ICE car where you have to wait 10-15 minutes for the heater to warm up enough to defrost and demist the screen, but it's not necessary with the MG EVs. Both my ZS and SWMBO's MG5 defrost and demist in 2-3 minutes with the front and rear screen demisters on.
I was used to a LEAF that pre-heated for me!

I have done it for 30+ years without an issue including on chipped & damaged screens. The water must be luke warm, I use tap water at close to room temperature. No different to hot air blasting or sunshine!

It sometimes refreezes, so a second pot is required showing it is not too warm.

It works very well at close to freezing temperatures especially when the ice is smooth ice. I do not do it when temperatures are very cold, say below minus 5C. It also demists inside too
I'm too terrified of getting the temperature too different! I reckon cold water would probably be ok but like you say it would just refreeze so you're no better off and you just create a puddle that will freeze where someone can slip over on!! I'm gonna keep on using my ice scraper and overnight windscreen shield!

I live on top of a large hill, get lot of frost. Running my 5SR on full heat and demist for 3 minutes creates enough heat on windscreen to allow windscreen wipers to clear the screen with no residual ice/ frost. The rear is about the same maybe a bit quicker using rear screen heater.

I live on top of a large hill, get lot of frost. Running my 5SR on full heat and demist for 3 minutes creates enough heat on windscreen to allow windscreen wipers to clear the screen with no residual ice/ frost. The rear is about the same maybe a bit quicker using rear screen heater.
You just have to free up the wiper blades especially the rear as the DAB aerial does not get warm enough to free the wiper blade😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom