New member, MG4 Trophy advice

pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all,

Be gentle please, new member here :)

I had my test drive last night and liked the car, I'm coming from an ID.3 that I've had loads and loads of issues with so being cautious.

How are people generally finding the MG4, I'm concerned about the following so just after reassurance.

1. 7 year warranty has more exclusions than I've seen on any other manufactures warranty, charging flap, cable and 12v battery for example only covered for 12 months
  2. AC charging issues, seems to be a bad batch of CCU
  3. Lots of software issues, ID.3 was the same

As it seems most things are covered for 3 years, can you extend the manufactures warranty when this runs out like you can on others.

I've had a really rough ride with my ID so I'm after something that just works as it should,

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
It is hard to answer your question because people's experiences vary.

I would attempt to summarise as follows (please disagree with me as needed):

• People generally love the car, particularly the ride, handling and drivetrain.
  • There have been a number of significant faults (oil leak, undertray, CCU, power/speed restrictions to name a few), most of these are now sorted out, some with fixes on the way.
  • The software is quite buggy, slow and a bit frustrating to use, although you get used to it.
  • If you get a lemon (they are about), the car will have multiple significant faults.
  • Dealer quality varies enormously and largely dictates the service experience: some are marvellous others genuinely awful.
  • We are too early into the MG4 lifecycle to know how the warranty experience will play around, MG do seem to be quite strict. However, MG EVs are popular taxi cabs, which should tell you something.

My car, which I bought new nearly a year ago, has only really had one fault: the CCU, and this seems limited to the Phase 1 Trophy cars. It has had fewer problems than I expected.

Personally, I'd buy again today without hesitation knowing:
  • I have a good local dealer.
  • The car has got a lot better in terms of quality the last year.

Last edited:
If you want something that "just works as it should" buy a bicycle.🤣

I echo all from @tsedge up above.

There seems to be a multitude of experiences on here and I'm in the Love My Car camp.
Yes, it's not perfect but it does everything I need it to and more.

Last edited:
It is hard to answer your question because people's experiences vary.

I would attempt to summarise as follows (please disagree with me as needed):

• People generally love the car, particularly the ride, handling and drivetrain.
  • There have been a number of significant faults (oil leak, undertray, CCU, power/speed restrictions to name a few), most of these are now sorted out, some with fixes on the way.
  • The software is quite buggy, slow and a bit frustrating to use, although you get used to it.
  • If you get a lemon (they are about), the car will have multiple significant faults.
  • Dealer quality varies enormously and largely dictates the service experience: some are marvellous others genuinely awful.
  • We are too early into the MG4 lifecycle to know how the warranty experience will play around, MG do seem to be quite strict. However, MG EVs are popular taxi cabs, which should tell you something.

My car, which I bought new nearly a year ago, has only really had one fault: the CCU, and this seems limited to the Phase 1 Trophy cars. It has had fewer problems than I expected.

Personally, I'd buy again today without hesitation knowing:
  • I have a good local dealer.
  • The car has got a lot better in terms of quality the last year.

Thanks for the reply, has the AC charging issues, CCU been resolved on new cars then ?

Sorry for my ignorance, what’s a phase 1 Trophy, is that an early edition ?

Three months in and I would definitely buy again. Yes, you do wonder who programmed the software, but the car wins out hands down. For me, an annoying niggle is the lack of a rear light, particularly when trying to get my granddaughter safely into her car seat.

It's only Phase 1 (Model year 22) LR cars that seem to have the CCU issue - i.e. those with the 3-phase onboard charger. Phase 2 (MY23) cars in the UK are single phase (except maybe the Extended Range version).

I agree with tsedge comments above.

No major problems to report here and my software has been better than that in my Mk 8 Golf, albeit a few gremlins and the obvious chore of setting up your driving profiles each start.

The newer the car the better the software and less faults IMHO, as they have put things right slowly, so if you're buying a new one you should be OK🤞 . I have had no charging issues with my Sept 2023 model but there again its not an SE LR.

My main concern is the MG dealership service, goodwill and time required to put any faults right without a fight.

Picked up my Trophy on 28th September 2022 and have loved it every day since. Not really had any major issues even though it was part of the first batch to hit the UK, other than a few software niggles which have been resolved. I love the fact I have 11kW AC charging as I use our 3-phase charger at work almost exclusively. The standard tyres are not great, even more so in the cold weather and I've had the back end waving a few times pulling out of junctions, but it's a really fun car to drive and I'd definitely have another.

I hope I don’t live to regret it 😂

I’m going to a blue Trophy Long Range
If buying it's worth a look at the MG Affinity scheme. You join an MG Owners Club and get a decent discount. Don't know if it works with PCP etc. Someone on here will chip in and let you know.

I hope I don’t live to regret it 😂

I’m going to a blue Trophy Long Range

The blue is lovely! I'm always getting compliments on the colour of my car.

When I decided to go electric I initially assumed I'd go in the direction of the ID3, as my last car was a Golf and I was very happy with it. However when I started looking it wasn't even on the radar, not least on account of the price. At the time the MG4 seemed to have no rivals on price and the car was exactly what I wanted.

I took a deep breath, acknowledged to myself that this was the right decision at the time, and again hoped I didn't live to regret it. It's been nine months and I still love the car. It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. My friends all love the ride, and (at this time of year) the pre-heating. I took it on a road trip from Scotland to Sussex and back in August with no problems - and bear in mind I have the SR. The LR not only goes further on a charge, it charges faster.

Yes there are niggles. There's a post of mine somewhere with a string of them, although I think most of them (SE-related) have been fixed on recent software upgrades I haven't had yet. But they can all be worked round or lived with.

Make sure you get under the car and inspect the rear undertray for warp. There are pictures on the forum of what to look for. If your undertray is warped, get the dealer to commit to fixing it.

If buying it's worth a look at the MG Affinity scheme. You join an MG Owners Club and get a decent discount. Don't know if it works with PCP etc. Someone on here will chip in and let you know.
The Affinity scheme drops the price of the car significantly - but I believe the finance rates on Affinity are higher than otherwise, so it may or may not make sense on PCP depending on what you get quoted.

Thanks for the reply, has the AC charging issues, CCU been resolved on new cars then ?
We assume the problems are limited to early LR cars (MY2022), nobody else has reported an issue with this yet. The problem takes 6-9 months to occur, however, so it could still happen with more recent cars. However, they use a different AC charger, so it seems unlikely.

I have had my MY23 Trophy (Luxury here in Finland) for 3 weeks, done about 500km on it and have had only 1 single fault that presented itself on the first 3 days I had the car, which was the driver side mirror not folding without giving it a slight push. Now, even in -30C weather it closes and opens as you would expect.

Besides that, it has worked flawlessly for me. Ride is amazing, software is slow at times, but this was true for my Kia Xceed 2022 so it's eh. I've seen videos of the infotainment being slow on cars that cost 3x the MG4.

I bought my MG4 Essence 64 as they call them in Australia on the 9th Jan 2024. Very pleased with its handling. I guess this is due to the low slung batteries along the chassis, lowering the center of gravity. It is a steep learning curve with all the computerization following menus until you get where you want to go, but eventually I can find my queries, even if I have to go to YouTube. I previously had a Prius and was a bit dubious about the upgrade but as of now I'm happy with the MG4.

I have had my MY23 Trophy (Luxury here in Finland) for 3 weeks, done about 500km on it and have had only 1 single fault that presented itself on the first 3 days I had the car, which was the driver side mirror not folding without giving it a slight push. Now, even in -30C weather it closes and opens as you would expect.

Besides that, it has worked flawlessly for me. Ride is amazing, software is slow at times, but this was true for my Kia Xceed 2022 so it's eh. I've seen videos of the infotainment being slow on cars that cost 3x the MG4.
Jiliikoo, how do you find the size comparison between the xceed and the Mg? I’m thinking of switching to the XPower from a 21 plate Xceed but worry about space for rear passengers (I find the Kia a bit of a squeeze but manageable)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back