New Member, old problems!

Bam Bam

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello everyone,
I've been on this forum so much since selecting an MG4 I thought that I would sign up.
We've had the car for two weeks now and just got a GivEnergy wall box installed. Wanted a Givenergy one to go with our solar/battery inverter.
Two issues outstanding with the car:
1. The car is an ex-demo and is bound to someone else's MG app. So we cannot connect our app to the car. Technically the person who is bound can locate our car and enter it using their account so hopefully they won't do that.
2. The button on the driver door doesn't work. I've just seen that a lot of people have had that problem.

Hopefully the MG garage will sort these issues out but we noticed the app issue early on and still not had that resolved.
Only just reported the door button issue though. I assumed I must be doing something wrong but just checked the passenger door and that is working so the driver one definitely isn't.

Other than those two minor issues we love the car! Big step up from our old Seat Ibiza which didn't have anything like cruise control let alone adaptive (which I love).

Hello everyone,
I've been on this forum so much since selecting an MG4 I thought that I would sign up.
We've had the car for two weeks now and just got a GivEnergy wall box installed. Wanted a Givenergy one to go with our solar/battery inverter.
Two issues outstanding with the car:
1. The car is an ex-demo and is bound to someone else's MG app. So we cannot connect our app to the car. Technically the person who is bound can locate our car and enter it using their account so hopefully they won't do that.
2. The button on the driver door doesn't work. I've just seen that a lot of people have had that problem.

Hopefully the MG garage will sort these issues out but we noticed the app issue early on and still not had that resolved.
Only just reported the door button issue though. I assumed I must be doing something wrong but just checked the passenger door and that is working so the driver one definitely isn't.

Other than those two minor issues we love the car! Big step up from our old Seat Ibiza which didn't have anything like cruise control let alone adaptive (which I love).

Door button failure can mean needing a new door handle. They arrive unpainted so it can take a while for your dealer to get it painted and then fitted. Worth trying software updates first just in case.

Door button failure can mean needing a new door handle. They arrive unpainted so it can take a while for your dealer to get it painted and then fitted. Worth trying software updates first just in case.
My drivers door handle was replaced last week for this. Noticed the passenger door handle had stopped working at the weekend. Now booked in for that on 12th March. I've been wondering if car wax or any other shit is getting into these buttons and I'm considering spraying the buttons with something to try and prevent it from happening again.

You say your car is an ex-demo so the chances are it's one of the salesmen's phones it's bound to. The dealer should know who it is and get them to unbind the car from their phone.

You say your car is an ex-demo so the chances are it's one of the salesmen's phones it's bound to. The dealer should know who it is and get them to unbind the car from their phone.
Yes I was told the salesman they suspect to have done it has left. Reading between the lines, perhaps they left on bad terms but who knows! Either way, our car still seems to be bound several weeks later and still haven't heard from the service centre. :rolleyes:

My drivers door handle was replaced last week for this. Noticed the passenger door handle had stopped working at the weekend. Now booked in for that on 12th March. I've been wondering if car wax or any other shit is getting into these buttons and I'm considering spraying the buttons with something to try and prevent it from happening again.
Yes that is a worry that they are so unreliable. Perhaps prone to getting gunked up as you say.
Once warranty expires there won't be many cars left with working ones by the sounds of it!

Email MG Customer Services with a copy of your V5C and purchase invoice and ask them to unbind the car. (If you haven't already).

Email MG Customer Services with a copy of your V5C and purchase invoice and ask them to unbind the car. (If you haven't already).
The dealer claimed to have contacted MG UK, but nothing has changed.
I should probably do as you suggest though in case they didn't do something properly!

My question (for everyone and anyone) is:
How does the car receive the update that it has been unbound? How does it communicate with the MG server?

The car communicates with the server via the 4G eSIM that provides a data connection. However the car has no concept of being "bound" - that's all handled by the database on MG's server. Same as your app has no concept of it. When a car is "bound" all that happens is that the VIN for that car is assigned to a user account, so when you login via the app to the account which has that binding then you can "talk" to the car via MG's server.

The car communicates with the server via the 4G eSIM that provides a data connection. However the car has no concept of being "bound" - that's all handled by the database on MG's server. Same as your app has no concept of it. When a car is "bound" all that happens is that the VIN for that car is assigned to a user account, so when you login via the app to the account which has that binding then you can "talk" to the car via MG's server.
Good to know - thanks. Have emailed MG directly.

We don't get great signal here on some networks. Perhaps we should go somewhere else and try again once confirmed that it has been unbound.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 521 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back