New member.

staarek

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just wanted to say hi to everyone!

I had my MG5 LR excite since October and I absolutely love it (an so is my better half)! I've driven an electric kangoo in the past and also had an electric moped, MG5 is a massive upgrade comparing to old Renault.

So far we clocked around 4000 miles and no problems so far (well, i had one "battery shut off" while charging on a rapid charger, but the car started right away, no issues since. We managed to do a few longish trips too, London-Edinburgh and Kent-Barcelona and the experience so far is really good.
We've done a few upgrades, fitted a froot or (frunk) and front parking sensors. At some point i would also like to fit a tow bar, not for towing, just for transporting my moped - I will possibly get a tow bar for Chevrolet CRUZE (as it's the same base) and modify it to fit.
I also fit 32 amps charging box at home, I didn't use any of the wallboxes but bought Portable, variable 8-32A Charger which i placed in a plastic enclosure on my drive, total cost under £300.

I had my MG5 LR excite since October and I absolutely love it (an so is my better half)! I've driven an electric kangoo in the past and also had an electric moped, MG5 is a massive upgrade comparing to old Renault.

So far we clocked around 4000 miles and no problems so far (well, i had one "battery shut off" while charging on a rapid charger, but the car started right away, no issues since. We managed to do a few longish trips too, London-Edinburgh and Kent-Barcelona and the experience so far is really good.
We've done a few upgrades, fitted a froot or (frunk) and front parking sensors. At some point i would also like to fit a tow bar, not for towing, just for transporting my moped - I will possibly get a tow bar for Chevrolet CRUZE (as it's the same base) and modify it to fit.
I also fit 32 amps charging box at home, I didn't use any of the wallboxes but bought Portable, variable 8-32A Charger which i placed in a plastic enclosure on my drive, total cost under £300.
Hello

Have you got a link for the charger you installed? I'm intrigued!

Have you got a link for the charger you installed? I'm intrigued!
Sure, here it goes:

(And some pics of the install)
The charger has a variable current setting 8-32amps and a delay start so i can set it up to start charging with my night tariff (obviously no app though...)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 171
Very neat, I looked at something similar myself as I wanted the 32a commando but unfortunately I couldn't get any with a 10m lead.

Do you have an earth rod or pen fault detection device?

Very neat, I looked at something similar myself as I wanted the 32a commando but unfortunately I couldn't get any with a 10m lead.

Do you have an earth rod or pen fault detection device?
I'm not too sure. I prepared the install, run the cables, install the box and the charger etc, but I had a friendly sparky that made the connection to the distribution board, so I don't know all the ins and outs.

Hi, that just like my OHME £200 from Octopus Energy.
The unit should have a pen device installed
SAFETY INFORMATION:

Please ensure that your 32A socket is installed by a qualified electrician. The socket must be installed on a system with a PME detection device. If you already have a 32A socket installed, please have a qualified electrician check that the socket is installed on a system with a PME device before use.

Hi, that just like my OHME £200 from Octopus Energy.
The unit should have a pen device installed
SAFETY INFORMATION:

Please ensure that your 32A socket is installed by a qualified electrician. The socket must be installed on a system with a PME detection device. If you already have a 32A socket installed, please have a qualified electrician check that the socket is installed on a system with a PME device before use.
£200 is a very good offer! Coming back to the connection etc, this electrician friend of mine is quite good, so I'm certain he did everything in accordance to the regulations.

At that price it was just to wire your commando up not to install any pen protection worth giving him a call as it is a new addition to the 18th edition regulations.

Sure, here it goes:

(And some pics of the install)
The charger has a variable current setting 8-32amps and a delay start so i can set it up to start charging with my night tariff (obviously no app though...)
Cheers. That's really neat! If I ever need to go ahead with a home charger this is exactly what I was considering doing instead of £1200 installations!

Is the box held in by anything other than gravity? I think that'd be really useful as my boot looks permanently full. All the accoutrements could go in it - 10mm spanner (with screwdriver), hi viz jackets, charging cable, maybe even the can of tyre gunk which came out when I put in the proper spare.

Is the box held in by anything other than gravity? I think that'd be really useful as my boot looks permanently full. All the accoutrements could go in it - 10mm spanner (with screwdriver), hi viz jackets, charging cable, maybe even the can of tyre gunk which came out when I put in the proper spare.
At the back, the box rests on the fittings used to mount the plastic support and it's secured with bolts, at the front i used two "L" shape brackets to attach it. I didn't drill any holes/modified anything not to invalidate the warranty. There's a plenty of clearance from the motor and any other equipment. I store two cables there (type 2 + the granny charger), hi-vis, triangle etc.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Shame that space isn't the right size for a space saver spare. Would be much more useful than in the boot under all your stuff.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom