New MG 5 arriving soon - Any useful tweaks/tips/life hacks I should know about?

Camy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Not a car person at all but this will be my first electric car and when it comes to software and electronics, I'm super anal about efficiency and optimisation. This normally applies to PC related tech but I see no reason not to look into any handy tweaks for something like an electric car.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks specifically on how to get the best out of the MG5 EV (long range trophy)? Or any other EV related advice. Whether it's extending range or QoL improvements with the interface/options?

Technology aside, a gentle right foot will give the best savings. Driving style has a big impact on efficiency. Experiment with the different KERS settings to suit your needs but welcome to EV motoring, it's a great experience! I have an MG5 SR, now 45k in and very much enjoying driving it. Going back to manual ICE is  odd...

Technology aside, a gentle right foot will give the best savings. Driving style has a big impact on efficiency. Experiment with the different KERS settings to suit your needs but welcome to EV motoring, it's a great experience! I have an MG5 SR, now 45k in and very much enjoying driving it. Going back to manual ICE is  odd...
Yeah just started reading about KERS. Seems the general rule is using higher level for urban driving and motorways turn it off or at level 1 to promote more efficient coasting?

Any settings, other than lane assist, that I should turn off that are redundant but use up power?

I've today completed a 200 mile journey (with 41 miles remaining according to the GOM, 20% battery left) and it's the first where I have finished on over 4kWpm. The trick as to go at 50 most of the way. I was on dual carriageways/motorway most of the time and just sat behind a caravan for miles and miles and miles..

I specifically wanted to try to do this without a top up but I must admit I am going to go back to not bothering too much about squeezing every last drop out. It's not eh extra time it took, it was just the boredom of it!!

Normal mode with KERS3 for the whole journey as I don't believe the KERS setting really makes a lot of difference. Nearly all on ACC. 3 adults + a bootful of stuff.

Welcom to EV enjoy your new car you will learn about the car more you drive her I find a easy right foot gives better economic and now again have fun leaving cars 😃

Yeah just started reading about KERS. Seems the general rule is using higher level for urban driving and motorways turn it off or at level 1 to promote more efficient coasting?

Any settings, other than lane assist, that I should turn off that are redundant but use up power?
The EV5 SR only has cruise control so I can't speak for any other things from the car. In terms of KERS it's a preference but faster speeds suit a lower setting (you can't turn it off completely) and higher settings suit more urban driving to replace foot braking a LOT as your speed changes more frequently. Developing a subtle right foot is part of driving an EV though and a different technique to a manual gearbox for surem. Without keeping your eyes off the road the power meter is a useful indicator of economy and driving style too. Experiment with how it feels and of course, looking ahead and adjusting speed in advance rather than having to use the foot brake is all part of it. Enjoy the ride!

So would you say that having a fully loaded car didn't make a huge difference to the range?
No, internal loading will make a difference and obviously anything on the roof too. The biggest thing that affects range that we can do little about, is the outside temperature which is a big influence on economy. Less so but still significant are running heater/AC

FWIW, and 4 months into our first EV, we didn't buy our 5 Trophy for its economy and TBH, this aspect of ownership wasn't even on the radar when going electric. Having had a ZOE and ZS SR as courtesy cars, we were swayed by the performance, quietness, smoothness and overall relaxed driving experience. The 5 met our budget for an electric estate, end of.
We've had many ICE cars in the past, both petrol and diesel, that claim mega mpg, but so what, you're never going to achieve them. Same with the 5 really - a claimed 250 mile range, 4+ miles/kwh and after 1200 miles, we're yet to achieve anywhere near these figures.
But it doesn't bother us - we just drive the car and enjoy the whole experience. It is what it is ;)

So would you say that having a fully loaded car didn't make a huge difference to the range?
Not quite what I said, I reported on my actual economy on a long journey today and it's a fact that it was the best economy I've seen over long distance and also that we were carrying a fair bit of extra weight.

While it would probably have done better without that, as it was a family short break away I was somewhat obliged to take them and their associated gubbins, which was surprisingly extensive for three grown-ups for just four days away!!! :)

I rarely do long journeys anyway, which is just as well with the public charging at the cost it is (though our destination had 4 7kWh Rolec charger @ 50p a unit. I never saw another car on them.

Putting it simply, on any given day the only influence that you have over how much power is used is your right foot, how much weight you cram in the car and how hot you want the car. Pretty much the same as a ICE Vehicle.
Everything else such as the weather is not under your control - if I'm wrong please make it sunny next week :) .

Other things like radio, wipers, lights etc. do not use the big battery but the 12v battery same as any other car. Yes for strict accuracy the big battery does charge the 12v but would probably take about 30 years (total random meaningless guess as its so insignificant) to fully deplete the big 'un.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Had the car 2 days now and loving it. Not able to charge it due to some technical issues but working to sort those put asap. Only got 20% left of my original charge!

Don't suppose anyone knows why I'm getting the following error at all charge points:

'error starting session - Unauthorized access request'

I'm trying to use Chargeplace Scotland machines, and tried 4 different ones so far and all said same.

Have you tried the granny charger or any other make/provider of charger?
Tried a couple of tethered public chargers and also an untethered one where I used my own charger cable.

I have not tried the granny charger yet but that's next on my list. I just want to work out quickly if it's a fault on the car side or either the chargers or my chargeplace scotland account.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Had the car 2 days now and loving it. Not able to charge it due to some technical issues but working to sort those put asap. Only got 20% left of my original charge!

Don't suppose anyone knows why I'm getting the following error at all charge points:

'error starting session - Unauthorized access request'

I'm trying to use Chargeplace Scotland machines, and tried 4 different ones so far and all said same.
For CPS the general advice always used to be to get the RFID card, I believe it's a £20 one off charge to get them to send it to you.

ChargePlace Scotland | Scotland's Public EV Charging Network Create an account then you should be able to request the card.

I have one and although I don't use it very often its rather handy when venturing into Scotland.

It may be worth also looking at Eletroverse, Elli and Shell Recharge, even on their respective free tiers RFID cards are useful to have and on some chargers seem to work more reliably than Apps.

For CPS the general advice always used to be to get the RFID card, I believe it's a £20 one off charge to get them to send it to you.
So mine is already on the way but haven't got it yet. I was hoping I'd be able to use the app or website on my phone until it gets here. Otherwise sounds like I'm stuck with the granny charger?

Although, are you saying I can use other RFID cards? I was hoping I'd be able to just use a bank card at these machines?

The other RFIDs are for other operators chargers. The app/website is supposed to work but it may not. Same with any contactless readers on the chargers

I've today completed a 200 mile journey (with 41 miles remaining according to the GOM, 20% battery left) and it's the first where I have finished on over 4kWpm. The trick as to go at 50 most of the way. I was on dual carriageways/motorway most of the time and just sat behind a caravan for miles and miles and miles..

I specifically wanted to try to do this without a top up but I must admit I am going to go back to not bothering too much about squeezing every last drop out. It's not eh extra time it took, it was just the boredom of it!!

Normal mode with KERS3 for the whole journey as I don't believe the KERS setting really makes a lot of difference. Nearly all on ACC. 3 adults + a bootful of stuff.
F88k me this must have been a frustratingly long trip for your passengers!?! 🤔😱😁

F88k me this must have been a frustratingly long trip for your passengers!?! 🤔😱😁
... and that's why that particular experiment has ended.

Actually it was OK for daughter and missus, they can, and do, talk the hind legs off any animals you can imagine, but that was stressful for me!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom