New MG ZS EV (Late 2019) owner - I have questions!

PositiveTom

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi folks!

Just joined the electric family today when I purchased my MG ZS EV (69 plate) Exclusive Edition.

I've never owned an electric car before (my last car was a 1.0L Citroen C1) - so I've got a few questions if folks would be so kind to help me out?

1. Am I right in thinking that the MG iSmart app doesn't work with the 2019 model? I couldn't see any way to 'bind' it.
    • If so, how do I manage charging? Or does the car just charge to 100% and that's that?
  2. Is there any way to deactivate the keyless entry (the buttons on the door handles) - I'm just very security conscious!
  3. Anything else I should know, as a EV and an MG ZS EV virgin?
If it helps...

• Software Version: ZS11_E_EU_NAV_31.05_200409_R
  • HW Version: HW002
  • Qt Version: v5.8.0

Thanks guys!

Tom :)

Hi folks!

Just joined the electric family today when I purchased my MG ZS EV (69 plate) Exclusive Edition.

I've never owned an electric car before (my last car was a 1.0L Citroen C1) - so I've got a few questions if folks would be so kind to help me out?

1. Am I right in thinking that the MG iSmart app doesn't work with the 2019 model? I couldn't see any way to 'bind' it.
    • If so, how do I manage charging? Or does the car just charge to 100% and that's that?
  2. Is there any way to deactivate the keyless entry (the buttons on the door handles) - I'm just very security conscious!
  3. Anything else I should know, as a EV and an MG ZS EV virgin?
If it helps...

• Software Version: ZS11_E_EU_NAV_31.05_200409_R
  • HW Version: HW002
  • Qt Version: v5.8.0

Thanks guys!

Tom :)
In answer to your questions, as far as I know:
1. The App does not work on Mk1
2. The keyless entry cannot be deactivated.
3. Enjoy the car, I’ve been driving an EV since April and still get a smile on my face every time I drive it.

I did about 36,000 miles in the Mk 1 ZS and enjoyed every minute. No app and no way to limit the charge so you have to use time as your method of charging to a certain point. I used a granny and heavy duty timeswitch to charge only during cheap rate and to control how much percentage I was adding.

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum !.
You are very likely to find all the info you require on your Gen 1 ZS EV Exclusive on here.
From a very helpful bunch of fellow MG EV owners.
So, just to give you a few quick answers to some of your question.

1) You are totally correct Tom in thinking that the ISmart App is NOT compatible with your car.
Only the Gen 2 facelift model has this function - Sorry.
How do you intend to charge your car, maybe from home ?.
From a wall box or from the supplied three pin plug Granny lead ?.
When you plug in the car, it will charge to 100% unless you manually stop the charge.
2) Keyless entry is not able to be deactivated.
3) Coming from the 1.0L C1 I am in no doubt what so ever you will love the ZS EV.
More space, more power less cost to run etc.
I am sure you will have more questions, ask away and enjoy !.

Thanks @jusher @rpannell and @Lovemyev for your swift replies!

A shame about the app and lack of battery charge control. I'll have to get my thinking cap on!

At the moment I'll be using public chargers as I have on street parking, but I'm moving to a house with a driveway in a month or so - at which point I'll have a wall charger installed :)

Another question I had was about accidentally leaving keys inside the car. I know there used to be a feature where the car horn blipped if you did that - but that feature is now gone?

What would (will, knowing me) happen if I left my keys in the car and, for example, did a supermarket shop? Will I be locked out until can retrieve the other set? Is there a secret handshake I can do to free them?

Tom - When you are thinking about a wall box, it will now be of the "Smart" type unit.
Most of these come with a charging App that I think can be used for use on a "Off Peak" tariff.
Just to give you a rough idea on adding range to your car manually.
When charging from a A/C 7 kw wall box or a A/C 7 kw public post, one hour on charge, will give you about 25 miles of extra range on the battery.
Using this, it is fairly easy to work out how many hours on charge you will need to hit your desired SOC ( State Of Charge ) level.

Tom - When you are thinking about a wall box, it will now be of the "Smart" type unit.
Most of these come with a charging App that I think can be used for use on a "Off Peak" tariff.
Just to give you a rough idea on adding range to your car manually.
When charging from a A/C 7 kw wall box or a A/C 7 kw public post, one hour on charge, will give you about 25 miles of extra range on the battery.
Using this, it is fairly easy to work out how many hours on charge you will need to hit your desired SOC ( State Of Charge ) level.

That's super useful thanks!

Anyone able to help with my question about keys?

What would (will, knowing me) happen if I left my keys in the car and, for example, did a supermarket shop? Will I be locked out until can retrieve the other set? Is there a secret handshake I can do to free them?

(I have form)

Also, this might be normal but...

I was driving today, a fairly hilly country route to the in-laws. In 'eco' mode with KERS set to level 3.

Occasionally I'd get the alert that auto hill hold (?) was available or disabled. But most of the time auto hold was working fine... Any ideas?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom