New MG4 owner

STJ73

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello and next Monday I will pick up my Black MG4 long range trophy and I can't wait. It's a bit of a bummer that I can't charge at home as I live in a high rise apartment block. So I will be using only public chargers to top up. If it works out the same as my current VW T-roc that never gets more than 35mpg and around 350-400 miles from a full tank of petrol ( around £80 to fill up ) I'm so impressed with the car and I love the interior of the MG4....

Try and avoid fast public chargers as I was paying 79 p per unit on the A1. Assuming 4 miles per unit that is £79 for 400 miles (i am averaging 3.6 but hopefully you do better than me as it’s £87 for me). Slower chargers will be less so you should do ok…and other running costs should be lower than T Roc assuming you are not one who is finding insurance costs to be high

Try and avoid fast public chargers as I was paying 79 p per unit on the A1. Assuming 4 miles per unit that is £79 for 400 miles (i am averaging 3.6 but hopefully you do better than me as it’s £87 for me). Slower chargers will be less so you should do ok…and other running costs should be lower than T Roc assuming you are not one who is finding insurance costs to be high
To be honest the insurance costs are around the same as my T-roc r mate and I don't do many miles now and probably around 80-100 miles a week. I have a normal public charger 100 yards away from my flat that is quite cheap so that's a option if I need it charged fro a longer trip

Just FYI the Podpoint charger at Sainsbury's north of the Wear is showing as free charging. It may well be very busy and will be subject to car parking limitations but you may get a bit of use from it.

Welcome BTW.

Just FYI the Podpoint charger at Sainsbury's north of the Wear is showing as free charging. It may well be very busy and will be subject to car parking limitations but you may get a bit of use from it.

Welcome BTW.
Is there a app for showing chargers? I'm new to all this modern stuff...

There are several, but this is perhaps the most widely used. Take some time to look around.

You will also appreciate ABRP, which isn't very intuitive when you start out but can be very helpful in guiding you on the optimum length of each leg of a long journey and the optimum charging time at each stop.

Apart from Zapmap already mentioned I find Chargefinder useful and WattsUp to a lesser extent. You will no doubt end up using and or trying lots of different ones. 👍

Since you can't at home, I'm interested in where you expect to charge day-to-day, what's the plan? Where do you normally park?

I'm a strong advocate of destination charging for people who don't have off-street parking. I think that's going to address a lot more situations than putting kerbside chargers on residential streets. So if I couldn't charge at home, I would hope to adopt a lifestyle where I plug into a cheap-ish 7kW charger whenever there happens to be one where I'm visiting; just grabbing 10-20 miles worth here and there...

You're going to want a few core chargers that you use all the time - make sure you've got whatever subscriptions / memberships make sense for the ones you're using. Do some sums - depending how much you use, it can be worth paying a monthly subscription in exchange for cheaper per-kWh rates.

Since you can't at home, I'm interested in where you expect to charge day-to-day, what's the plan? Where do you normally park?

I'm a strong advocate of destination charging for people who don't have off-street parking. I think that's going to address a lot more situations than putting kerbside chargers on residential streets. So if I couldn't charge at home, I would hope to adopt a lifestyle where I plug into a cheap-ish 7kW charger whenever there happens to be one where I'm visiting; just grabbing 10-20 miles worth here and there...

You're going to want a few core chargers that you use all the time - make sure you've got whatever subscriptions / memberships make sense for the ones you're using. Do some sums - depending how much you use, it can be worth paying a monthly subscription in exchange for cheaper per-kWh rates.
As I don't actually do a great deal of miles now per week I factored in cost just using public chargers and even sometimes free chargers and it still came back cheaper than my petrol car. If I can get 200 miles out of a full charge then I'm happy with that in the real world. I'm hoping the local council will add chargers to my location

4 days in and I'm absolutely loving it! Was a bit disappointed with the dash as it seems to have scratches on it probably form something been on the dash during transportation. The dealer said I could book it in to see if they could rectify it but I'll live with it . The only downside so far is the car doesn't turn off till you get out and lock it. I know you can switch it off via the screen but it would be so easy to add something like press park and it all shuts down. But that's the only thing. Great so far and loads have commented on it.. in black my trophy long range looks the muts nuts

Hello and next Monday I will pick up my Black MG4 long range trophy and I can't wait. It's a bit of a bummer that I can't charge at home as I live in a high rise apartment block. So I will be using only public chargers to top up. If it works out the same as my current VW T-roc that never gets more than 35mpg and around 350-400 miles from a full tank of petrol ( around £80 to fill up ) I'm so impressed with the car and I love the interior of the MG4....
welcome to the club. do share some pics when u take delivery... just took mine last week. now driving is such a pleasure...

4 days in and I'm absolutely loving it! Was a bit disappointed with the dash as it seems to have scratches on it probably form something been on the dash during transportation. The dealer said I could book it in to see if they could rectify it but I'll live with it . The only downside so far is the car doesn't turn off till you get out and lock it. I know you can switch it off via the screen but it would be so easy to add something like press park and it all shuts down. But that's the only thing. Great so far and loads have commented on it.. in black my trophy long range looks the muts nuts
yeah coming in from a ICE car is definitely a weird change... but if its the norm , ill get used to it...

You get used to that. Although I still sometimes sit there thinking, what do I do now, no handbrake, no ignition - I have to force myself just to get out of the car!

I forgot to lock it yesterday when I parked in my drive and crossed the road to speak to a neighbour, then looked back to see the DRLs still on. But if it's any comfort I think it all switches itself off after a while (half an hour?), although the car doesn't lock.

As I don't actually do a great deal of miles now per week I factored in cost just using public chargers and even sometimes free chargers and it still came back cheaper than my petrol car. If I can get 200 miles out of a full charge then I'm happy with that in the real world. I'm hoping the local council will add chargers to my location
sometimes i charge them when im at work. 1.3kwh? ill take it! haha

Welcome to the forum.

We are mostly helpful with a slight tendency to go off topic with a bit of friendly banter thrown in 😁

As @Rolfe has said Zapmap is useful in finding chargers and planning routes but also Google Maps can route plan and show chargers on or near your route.
or plugshare is a nice alternative too..

Your going to have to be extra easy on your right foot!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back