New MG4 SE owner

rigby44

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all,

Very pleased to find this forum. Thanks for all the helpful contributions so far.

My partner will tomorrow take ownership of her brand new MG4 SE.

My first possible stupid question (of many) is around the Octopus Go EV tariff. They give you 4 hours of overnight charging for 9.5p/kwh. Outside of that, the rate reverts to a very penal 42p/kwh. Does anyone use OG and can confirm that that expensive rate only applies if you charge your car outside of the overnight hours, and doesnt apply to general electricity use during the day? I.e oven, appliances etc. The standard Octopus rate is 31p/kwh - I assume this will apply for general electricity use outside of car charging?

Any other recommendations for a new MG EV user at all folks? We have a Wa Ev home charger on order.

As far as I’m aware (not a Go customer but some of my colleagues are) - your entire household usage is 9.5p/kWh during the cheap hours, and the entire household usage is 42p/kWh outside of those hours.
That's right. The day rate on mine for everything is 41.65p/kWh at the moment but dropping to just over 31p/kWh from July 1st. I guess their standard Octopus rate will also drop. Cheap rate remains at 9.5p/kWh which is when we charge the ca and do our washing!

As far as I’m aware (not a Go customer but some of my colleagues are) - your entire household usage is 9.5p/kWh during the cheap hours, and the entire household usage is 42p/kWh outside of those hours.
Thanks Craig.

That’s not what I was hoping for obviously. Its still a saving overall though.

OVO seems the best deal, 10p kwh anytime but you require an expensive OhMe or Indra Pro which are about £150 more expensive than the one we’ve ordered.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that. So Octopus Go daytime rate drops to 31p/kwh on 1st July? Thats less than i’m currently paying with EON on a standard variable tariff - no doubt they’ll reduce their rates also.

Sounds like we need to take Octopus Go for now then. Hopefully MG are added to Octopus Intelligent list of supported vendors soon!

Thanks Craig.

That’s not what I was hoping for obviously. Its still a saving overall though.

OVO seems the best deal, 10p kwh anytime but you require an expensive OhMe or Indra Pro which are about £150 more expensive than the one we’ve ordered.
Hi, what EVSE have you ordered?
With the Ohme you can get Intelligent Octopus at 7.5p

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that. So Octopus Go daytime rate drops to 31p/kwh on 1st July? Thats less than i’m currently paying with EON on a standard variable tariff - no doubt they’ll reduce their rates also.

Sounds like we need to take Octopus Go for now then. Hopefully MG are added to Octopus Intelligent list of supported vendors soon!
Best to get a quote from Octopus after 1st July to check the rate they offer. I think it might vary a bit depending on where you live. I seem to remember reading someone who will get their day rate for just under 30p/kWh, but I wouldn't swear to that!

Yes I'll be paying less than 30p day rate come July 1st ( in Yorkshire).

It's been a tricky time to choose tariffs as the energy companies are fairly rubbish at publishing their tariffs in advance.

I got the Ohme Pro - found most chargers were around £1k installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete,

Don’t hold your breath on MG being added.

Ooh, I missed a trick there! I never remember things like that! 🤣
Haha yes it's worth a try! So far never had anyone take me up on it mind you!

There are people with whole websites aimed at generating Octopus referrals 🤣

Standard MG4 SE. The Ohme charges are quite expensive.
Sorry EVSE is 'electric vehicle supply equipment' ie the wall charge point unit not the car. Have you had a site visit and quote from a registered EVSE installer?

Disappointing. How come?

So MG EV owners will only ever be able to access Octopus Intelligent and OVO anytime if you get an Ohme Pro charger?
Basically the car needs to let the charger 'talk' to it (use the API) to control all the whizzy bits of smart charging. Even with the Ohme it's not currently seamless as you use the Ohme Apps charging settings to 'smart' charge (whereas other vehicles can control charging directly with the Octopus app).

Unless MG allow this access it won't be able to work directly with Octopus. Disappointing as you say. Chance it may change sometime in future.

Sorry EVSE is 'electric vehicle supply equipment' ie the wall charge point unit not the car. Have you had a site visit and quote from a registered EVSE installer?
We’ve done an online survey with pictures and waiting for an install date from:

The last occupant here had an EV, all the gubbings are still in place for it so I think it’s an easy job.

Basically the car needs to let the charger 'talk' to it (use the API) to control all the whizzy bits of smart charging. Even with the Ohme it's not currently seamless as you use the Ohme Apps charging settings to 'smart' charge (whereas other vehicles can control charging directly with the Octopus app).

Unless MG allow this access it won't be able to work directly with Octopus. Disappointing as you say. Chance it may change sometime in future.

Understood, thanks mate.

Octupus Go it is then. Hopefully the day rate contines to fall as mentioned, as that day time unit rate is quite a jump (40%) from the non EV tariffs. You still have to switch of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if your MG4 will come with just a granny or with a 32A type2 to type2 cable?
Is your EVSE untethered?

Best to get a quote from Octopus after 1st July to check the rate they offer. I think it might vary a bit depending on where you live. I seem to remember reading someone who will get their day rate for just under 30p/kWh, but I wouldn't swear to that!
I may be that person my day rate has come in at 29.55 pence from July. I am on Octopus Go but as you say it will vary a little depending on what region you come from. I am in West Yorkshire.

Look at Octopus Agile.
Also there is an app (Octopus Compare) which you can link with your Octopus account and compare which rate(s) would work best for you using your actual consumption data.

According to the Octopus Go website the cheap rate in my area is only from 00:30 to 04:30 which wouldn't suite me.
I'm on an Economy 7 type tariff which lets me shower, put a wash on, run the bread machine all between 00:00 and 07:00 at 10p/kWh with a day rate is 41.43p/kWh.
You need to work out how much usage you can shift onto the cheap rate. Will you be able to get enough charge in 4 hours for your EV needs?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back