New MG5LR Taxi

Kevin0211

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have bought the above and use it for private hire.
My thoughts so far.
Range up to 300 mile plus in town.
Easy to drive.
No gears, so no left leg use.
Low running cost.
passengers do not realise electric as it looks like a normal estate car.
brilliant
love it and had my rear windows tinted.

Yeah, it's a great choice as a taxi. Fingers crossed the battery is durable for many years!

You'll be driven mad with the auto-lock feature! I use my MG5 as a taxi in Ireland and I keep forgetting to disable it as the passengers try to get in (and out, to a lesser extent). Someday someone's is gonna think I'm trying to kidnap them!

Yeah, it's a great choice as a taxi. Fingers crossed the battery is durable for many years!

You'll be driven mad with the auto-lock feature! I use my MG5 as a taxi in Ireland and I keep forgetting to disable it as the passengers try to get in (and out, to a lesser extent). Someday someone's is gonna think I'm trying to kidnap them!
Yep
Autolock is a pain but getting used to it.
Getting around 4.8 miles per kilowatt, which is great. Drove from Warrington to Hereford which is around 110 miles and was still at 62% battery left

I bet that the battery will still be going strong long after you sell the car.
Have you done anything to safeguard the brakes given how little use they'll get?

Isn't autolock fairly commonplace these days on many cars? I've had it on US hires for years.

Autolock probably is commonplace but it's the lack of control that both taxi drivers lamented in this thread. Granted there is a switch on the driver's door but I frequently forget.

You arrive at the pickup point and the passenger can't get in because the door is locked. I didn't lock the door, the car did, and now I have to unlock it. You arrive at the destination and the passenger tries to get out but they can't momentarily. I didn't lock the door, the car did, and now I have to unlock it.

Add alcohol to the mix and the potential for aggro increases.

Rinse and repeat 10-15-20 times a day, every day, and it gets annoying :)

I think that I'd rather deal with a runner outside of the car than have them behind me locked inside the car. It's not called a fight or flight instinct for nothing, and a not inconsiderable proportion of people are tooled up.

@Gomev - There's the rub. If the passenger inside the taxi pulls at the door handle a couple of times, it will open. Again I've no control over it.

@BugEyed - I guess it's country/city dependent but rule #1 where I live is not to get out of the taxi. Inside a taxi, the assault, if it happens, will be limited to fists but if you get out, it's fists and feet/kicking.

@Alb - in my city, they would just rip out the cameras before they leave. (There are videos of this!!) They're not clever enough to know the video files are usually stored somewhere else.

@Gomev - There's the rub. If the passenger inside the taxi pulls at the door handle a couple of times, it will open. Again I've no control over it.

@BugEyed - I guess it's country/city dependent but rule #1 where I live is not to get out of the taxi. Inside a taxi, the assault, if it happens, will be limited to fists but if you get out, it's fists and feet/kicking.

@Alb - in my city, they would just rip out the cameras before they leave. (There are videos of this!!) They're not clever enough to know the video files are usually stored somewhere else.
You deserve a Sainthood mate. Putting up with all of that just to earn a screw. 🍺

Sorry, I didn't mean to exaggerate things. Assaults are pretty rare and I've never been physically attacked in 15 years. You just learn little tricks of the trade over the years.

@Harry 17 - there are good parts. I call my taxi 'the confessional' because people generally only see the back of your head and they open up and tell you the most amazing stories about the lives!

Sorry, I didn't mean to exaggerate things. Assaults are pretty rare and I've never been physically attacked in 15 years. You just learn little tricks of the trade over the years.

@Harry 17 - there are good parts. I call my taxi 'the confessional' because people generally only see the back of your head and they open up and tell you the most amazing stories about the lives!
Roger that @watdub , i have heard this before, and i am sure the trade you are in is very awarding at times. You still get my respect though. A true public service!

I have bought the above and use it for private hire.
My thoughts so far.
Range up to 300 mile plus in town.
Easy to drive.
No gears, so no left leg use.
Low running cost.
passengers do not realise electric as it looks like a normal estate car.
brilliant
love it and had my rear windows tinted.
Do you follow this Irish ☘️ guy on you tube ?.
He is a fellow MG5 owner you uses his car as a taxi.
He has been mapping its progress.

Last edited:

I often wonder what that back of my head looks like to them 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom