New models have Vehicle to Load charging

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Looking through the brochures I see the new ZS, 5 and Marvel R all have V2L. I'm really interested in this as I'm just about to spend £10k on a home battery solution and if it the car has V2L to allow you to put power back to the grid (ie and run your house) then I'd much rather spend £10k extra on a the car.

There's not much detail as to how it works, does anyone know anything more about the MG V2L implementation?

Looking through the brochures I see the new ZS, 5 and Marvel R all have V2L. I'm really interested in this as I'm just about to spend £10k on a home battery solution and if it the car has V2L to allow you to put power back to the grid (ie and run your house) then I'd much rather spend £10k extra on a the car.

There's not much detail as to how it works, does anyone know anything more about the MG V2L implementation?
Worth considering which of the possible finance options makes most sense too

You can get up to £6,000 loan at 0% over 10 years from Scottish Government for a solar battery (and £5,000 or £5,500? for Solar Panels) - depending on the cost of the car, you might be eligible for the EST Transport Loan of 0% over 6 years and up to £28,000. Assuming you've not used any of these before.

£10k for a battery system sounds like a lot of capacity/money (is it a 13.5kW Tesla Powerwall or similar?) - although not as much as a 50-70kW car would provide.

I think V2L is a tempting feature. No idea how you would plumb into the house though?
It just plugs in via a compatible charger. The charger will need some smarts & I don’t think many of them have that capability at the moment.

Aren't these different, vehicle to load and vehicle to grid ?

Aren't these different, vehicle to load and vehicle to grid ?
Good point, well made and I was just thinking that by looking at the picture in the brochure. Seems to be the sort of thing you‘d use to power something when you are out and and about.

Also, im Confused about the 11kW 3 phase charger. What happens if you only plug in a single phase? Will you be able to charge at 7kW, or only 3.6? If it’s 7kW then they have chosen to make one of the phases work at upto 7KW and the other two at 3.6 - if you see my logic?

The humble Zoe is able to charge at 22kW 3 phase a/c, i.e 7kW x 3. Doesn’t quite stack up for me I’m afraid ……

Also, im Confused about the 11kW 3 phase charger. What happens if you only plug in a single phase? Will you be able to charge at 7kW, or only 3.6? If it’s 7kW then they have chosen to make one of the phases work at upto 7KW and the other two at 3.6 - if you see my logic?

The humble Zoe is able to charge at 22kW 3 phase a/c, i.e 7kW x 3. Doesn’t quite stack up for me I’m afraid ……
If it’s similar to the Jaguar, it’ll do 32A single phase or 16A three phase. Just a guess though. Sounds the the Zoe does 32A three phase

Worth considering which of the possible finance options makes most sense too

You can get up to £6,000 loan at 0% over 10 years from Scottish Government for a solar battery (and £5,000 or £5,500? for Solar Panels) - depending on the cost of the car, you might be eligible for the EST Transport Loan of 0% over 6 years and up to £28,000. Assuming you've not used any of these before.

£10k for a battery system sounds like a lot of capacity/money (is it a 13.5kW Tesla Powerwall or similar?) - although not as much as a 50-70kW car would provide.
I already have my ZS on the EST transport loan and am looking at the government renewables loan also.

When you say the new 5. Do you mean the Euro Facelift model?

If it’s 7kW then they have chosen to make one of the phases work at up to 7KW and the other two at 3.6 - if you see my logic?
My understanding is that two 3.6kW on board chargers are switched in parallel for 7.2kW single phase operation. For 3-phase operation, the 3 phases would carry one 3.6kW charger each, to be balanced and reduce the neutral current to nearly zero.

I’ve got my renewable application through - need to look into more details - but this video intrigued me

I’m looking at Moixa batteries with solar & Octopus Go. I’m on a few groups and understand the Agile import/export cost/benefit setup - however I will test the water with Octopus Go, charging battery in off peak hours and using it to supply my household demand. When I’m comfortable with that I may switch to Agile and see if I can get paid to use electricity 😜

You can't 'plumb' the V2L output from a vehicle to your house mains. Unlike a solar inverter, V2L mains cannot be synchronised to domestic mains. You can't connect them together.
Julian, a little off topic however I’ve been trying to find a grid tied inverter that takes a 12v input, are you aware of one?

Julian, a little off topic however I’ve been trying to find a grid tied inverter that takes a 12v input, are you aware of one?
It's been a very long time since I've played with grid tied inverters. My unit had an input suitable for a 36-cell panel - I never tried connecting a 12V battery directly to it. Things may have changed since then (about 10 years ago).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom