New owner. I cannot get android auto to work

Sophs1985

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi

I have only had my zs ev trophy a week. But when I plug in my phone with the USB cable. The phone says it is connected to android auto. I press android auto on the infotainment screen and it all goes black. My phone is as normal but the infotainment screen is blank. I have had a quick look on you tube but cant find any guides there. Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks for any advice

How long did you wait? It can take a little while if your phone is on the slow side. My Galaxy A51 work phone takes ages, with screen showing black. It eventually comes on.

There are quite a few threads on this problem and even more suggested fixes that work for some people but not all. The only solution that seems foolproof (certainly for me) is the AAWireless AAWireless | Wireless Android Auto™ for everyone that plugs into the USB and just works. It costs a bit but I and many others think it's worth it.

There are quite a few threads on this problem and even more suggested fixes that work for some people but not all. The only solution that seems foolproof (certainly for me) is the AAWireless AAWireless | Wireless Android Auto™ for everyone that plugs into the USB and just works. It costs a bit but I and many others think it's worth it.
Thank you. If I can't get another cable to work I will try this.

Just to give a different slant on this - I have tried a variety of cables and also AA Wireless (so no cable at all) and I am still having trouble. I am convinced it isn't the phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra) or the AA Wireless unit. I, and others on different forums think it is a Google/Android Auto issue. I have read they are aware of the issue but are yet to issue a fix.

For me, I can get into the car, the AA powers up automatically (as it should with AA Wireless) and I can call "Hey Google" and I can give it instructions no problem. Once I move off however, then the Hey Google doesn't work. I get the bar at the bottom of the screen but no response.

We are not alone and hopefully something will be fixed soon.

It would be interesting to see if CarPlay works as it should.

Turn your phone off and get a needle/pin.

Clean the fluff out the socket as you will be surprised at the amount of pocket fluff that gets in.
This stops the usb lead from going all the way in as the mgs seem to be finicky.
Also, as suggested, try a good quality lead.

I have been using a s21 plus since i got my mg5 and the cable seems to be the weak link.
Get AAWIRELESS and that makes life even easier.

Turn your phone off and get a needle/pin.

Clean the fluff out the socket as you will be surprised at the amount of pocket fluff that gets in.
This stops the usb lead from going all the way in as the mgs seem to be finicky.
Also, as suggested, try a good quality lead.

I have been using a s21 plus since i got my mg5 and the cable seems to be the weak link.
Get AAWIRELESS and that makes life even easier.
Not sure I would clean the fluff using a metal pin... Wouldn't that cause a short? Maybe better using a wooden toothpick.

Prob a few minutes I'm not that patient 🙈
Should be enough for a S21.
My android lesser Samsung regularly needs plugging in a couple of times to get the android auto icon on the cars screen to light up... But once it does sort out the handshake or whatever it's good 👍 (mk1 ZS EV)

I've also found if it's taking a while pressing the home button on the car then going back into android auto speeds things up.

Not sure I would clean the fluff using a metal pin... Wouldn't that cause a short? Maybe better using a wooden toothpick.
I doubt you'd get a toothpick in.
Try a plastic toothpick if you don't trust a metal pin.
A compressed air can will also help shift stubborn items.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't cause a dangerous short with a metal pin. I do this all the time when I repair phones and of the several hundred I have had to do I have never had an issue with shorting.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom