New owner

I didn’t think that LFP batteries in the SR cars had the ability to specify a cut-off percentage for charging though?
I am only going on information I have researched for the maintenance of my LFP battery, which stated that balancing would occur once the battery reached 100%, provided, of course, that it’s still connected to power.

As far as I am aware, the batteries only balance after they have been charged to 100%
Modern BMS do a pretty good job of balancing the cells at different SOC's. But to really calibrate the BMS software to show total capacity, then yes it needs to be charged to max every now and again. All manufacturers BMS have an extra amount of kWh below zero and above max to protect the battery.

This article does a very good job of explaining it.

People have shown balancing happening at any target SoC (75%, 80% etc.) ... whether that's a full balance is open to question, but a balancing charge (~20W) does happen at other target SoC.

I've not seen people with LFP batteries saying that. Not saying you're wrong, I genuinely don't know. And even the LR batteries need to go to 100% once a month. If the SR needs to go to 100% once a week, then it's possible it's not had that, and that could be screwing up its cells.

I didn’t think that LFP batteries in the SR cars had the ability to specify a cut-off percentage for charging though?
I am only going on information I have researched for the maintenance of my LFP battery, which stated that balancing would occur once the battery reached 100%, provided, of course, that it’s still connected to power.

That's where I'm coming from. I don't know how to stop the charge before 100% without simply cutting off the power, when of course it won't balance. I think the possibility that this battery has been maltreated by not bringing it to 100% and not letting it balance is worth investigating. If it were taken to 100% and allowed to balance once a week for a few weeks, I wonder if it would feel better?

Modern BMS do a pretty good job of balancing the cells at different SOC's. But to really calibrate the BMS software to show total capacity, then yes it needs to be charged to max every now and again. All manufacturers BMS have an extra amount of kWh below zero and above max to protect the battery.

This article does a very good job of explaining it.

Right at the top.

1689510976235.png

I think we shouldn't stress too much about treating LFP batteries as if they were NMC, because they aren't.

I've not seen people with LFP batteries saying that. Not saying you're wrong, I genuinely don't know. And even the LR batteries need to go to 100% once a month. If the SR needs to go to 100% once a week, then it's possible it's not had that, and that could be screwing up its cells.
The comment I replied to did not specifically say LFP batteries. ;)

@siteguru The entire thread relates to a new owner, with a SR (LFP) battery - my comments are only about the issue with that. I have no knowledge about NMC batteries.
Sorry if my post was confusing 😉

Oh, OK. How are they stopping the charging below 100% so that there is still power going to the battery?
The OP isn't - LR model owners can. I simply responded to the comment that it is not possible to balance at a charge below 100% - it is (but not for LFP batteries).

@siteguru The OP stated that they have the Standard Range (see post #7) directly under your post asking which battery they have. So the responses I have given relate only to LFP batteries.

And as @Rolfe stated, if you stop power to the LFP battery, because you don’t want it to charge to 100%, it’s not going to balance the battery.

I am sure there are plenty of other threads discussing the ability to set a charging level and balancing on NMC batteries, where your comments are valid.

Last edited:
Can we go out and come in again. I know perfectly well (as do most people on the forum) that the LR battery will balance, at least to some extent, if charging is stopped at 80%. I am presuming that LR owners are setting this up on the app, however the app will not let you do that with the SR.

[Answering this slowly as I have a tennis match to watch. There may be some cross-posting.]

I think this thread is suffering from multiple interjections from people proffering information relevant only to LR batteries and which are possibly counter-productive when applied to the SR battery. Please, please, can we stop doing this, at least without specifying clearly that we're talking about the LR.

I don't know how you can stop an SR battery charging at 80% without cutting the power to the car. Maybe a wall box will do it? I genuinely don't know. I am trying to establish whether it is actually possible to create a situation where the SR would be able to balance at less than 100% if it wanted to.

The theory I am, in my inexpert way, trying to explore, is that the OP may have a battery which has not been allowed to balance by being taken to 100%. We're told that balancing is more important for the LFP batteries. I've never seen mine not balance when taken to 100%, even, once, when it was taken to 100% on five consecutive days. It really seems to want to do this thing.

If it's not possible to let the battery balance if the charge is stopped before 100%, then there are two situations where this might lead to trouble. One is the obvious one - the previous owner only used rapid chargers most of the time, without taking the trouble to finish off on a type 2 or a granny charger. Not good. The other is that the previous owner had been listening to all the injunctions to avoid taking the battery to 100%, "80% is health mode" and so on, and (unlike the LR battery) it hasn't been able to balance at this SoC - either because it intrinsically can't, or because it's not possible to stop it without cutting the power, which won't allow it to balance.

This, the first reply to the OPs concern about this state of his battery, worries me.

That does seem to have lost a bit, probably it has been charged to 100% daily or left at a high SOC.

No. That is advice which might be important and relevant if the battery in question was an LR, but it isn't. Cue yet another to-and-fro round of people advocating that SR batteries should also be operated most of the time below 80%, even though MG do not advise this, and have indeed specifically disabled the ability to do this via the app. More relevant, probably, is the article linked and quoted above.

1689522035907.png

I don't think there is any way that an LFP battery should be degrading as the OPs seems to have degraded after only a year and 8,000 miles, due to having been managed exactly as MG tell owners to manage it, and exactly as that article says is perfectly fine.

I think leaping in to tell people with SR batteries that they should be going against MG's (and other expert) advice and preventing their battery from going to 100%, is not a good idea. You can see where it led to, posters questioning why the infotainment screen still has 80% marked as "health mode" (because MG's software has a lot of glitches in it, right?) and more exhortations to follow LR protocols with the SR, and SR owners feeling guilty because they don't do that.

If all that happens when a battery isn't allowed to balance is that the GOM becomes wildly unreliable, and there are no other ill effects, then maybe this is all of peripheral relevance. But if it's bad for the battery in other ways, then maybe the opposite of Jomarkh's suggestion is the case. Maybe this SR battery has been prevented from balancing for some reason, and what it needs now is a few opportunities to balance to its heart's content at 100%, and see what happens.

My take on this is an lfp (SR) battery needs left to charge, then balance to 100% once a week.thos can have a negative impact on long term battery health if not done regularly, from what I've read.

The ops car may not have had this and may have done a lot of fast charging where it was just stopped charging at random percentages upon the previous owners return to the car and setting off again. (Pure speculation)
All batteries prefer AC charging to DC in relation to battery health.

When the car was first released I seem to recall that you were able to set the charge on the SR to 80% on the app this was removed via an update.

I also seem to recall that for a while 2022 cars were coming with a setting defaulted to on (battery heating/preconditioning or similar) that was impacting numerous members SR ranges, might be worth the op checking his settings, if someone can remember exactly what the setting was.

I can't speak for the cars that were delivered in 2022, but when I got my car it was possible to set the % charge in the app, but the car simply went on and charged to 100% regardless. Was it ever the case that the SR batteries actually stopped at 80%?

If there was any benefit to this, why would MG remove the facility?

So the garage sorted the majority of the issues replaced some trim and the seatbelt all good.

I asked for a battery heth check and they gave me this...

Less than a year old motor and 8k miles, is this good or not!?
That's fine, anything up to 10% in the first year is normal. 5% typical, loss slows dramatically after the first year.

My take on this is an lfp (SR) battery needs left to charge, then balance to 100% once a week.thos can have a negative impact on long term battery health if not done regularly, from what I've read.

The ops car may not have had this and may have done a lot of fast charging where it was just stopped charging at random percentages upon the previous owners return to the car and setting off again. (Pure speculation)
All batteries prefer AC charging to DC in relation to battery health.

When the car was first released I seem to recall that you were able to set the charge on the SR to 80% on the app this was removed via an update.

I also seem to recall that for a while 2022 cars were coming with a setting defaulted to on (battery heating/preconditioning or similar) that was impacting numerous members SR ranges, might be worth the op checking his settings, if someone can remember exactly what the setting was.
Thanks for this, so under my charge settings there is a battery heating toggle which is constantly on. I think I turned this off but it defaulted back to on, can this have a negative effect? just use it in colder months ?

That's fine, anything up to 10% in the first year is normal. 5% typical, loss slows dramatically after the first year.
Yes I understand it slows down. Just wasn't sure if this was an ok limit, someone said it's quite low for the miles.

So I'm taking away from this thread that as I'm on a SR battery that I can charge to 100% weekly dispite my Ohme Home Pro wallbox giving me advice not to do this... As this is using the battery that doesn't get as penalised for doing so... I'm assuming when I charge to 100% it also doesn't matter if I charge from 50% or over?

Correct - charge when you want, and take it to 100% (and let it balance) as often as you're able; at least weekly.

Correct - charge when you want, and take it to 100% (and let it balance) as often as you're able; at least weekly.
Any chance this will help to bring back my SoH or is that damage done?

It won't change the SoH (and as already mentioned, yours isn't bad), but it might realign the battery cells and so improve the range.

Turning off battery heating is something you need to do though - make sure the car is in READY state first before trying to turn it off. (As I recall you should get an Are you sure type of prompt if the turn off is working correctly. I turned mine off and it has stayed off ever since).

It won't change the SoH (and as already mentioned, yours isn't bad), but it might realign the battery cells and so improve the range.

Turning off battery heating is something you need to do though - make sure the car is in READY state first before trying to turn it off. (As I recall you should get an Are you sure type of prompt if the turn off is working correctly. I turned mine off and it has stayed off ever since).
Alright, I'll turn it back off and see if it stays off.

Any use cases when I should use it? Winter?

I believe that battery heating is beneficial prior to rapid charging when the weather is very cold. I don’t know the exact temperature below which it’s recommended.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back