New Phev Owner Question

Fwiw my car is now a year and 6000 miles old.

When in EV mode, there is a noise that sounds similar to an underground train pulling away (low pitched 'moaning' type noise) that increases in frequency as speed increases, but also gets quieter, disappearing completely at about 20mph. Above that, there is an obvious but non-intrusive whine. With the windows open it is MUCH more obvious especially if you are driving next to a wall. This is obviously high speed gear noise, not motor noise, as it doesn't change when it changes gear at about 55mph, in spite of the motor speed dropping from about 9k down to 5k rpm.

Doesn't seem to have changed in any way since picked the car up so I just assumed it was normal for the vehicle.

What IS irritating however, is that I have a kind of 'jerky' acceleration in 'auto' mode - feels like a misfire but I'm assuming if it was, I would have a warning light by now. It's not the well known 52mph flat spot, just hesitation.... Its as if I was moving the accelerator up and down a little while accelerating. Anyone else noticed this? Dealer denies there's any problem although to be fair sometimes it's worse than others.
That "wavy" acceleration is the 2 separate drivetrains changing gears. Where one is still accelerating, one will have a gear change causing a reduction in power, then will finish the gear change causing that "boost" in power.

That "wavy" acceleration is the 2 separate drivetrains changing gears. Where one is still accelerating, one will have a gear change causing a reduction in power, then will finish the gear change causing that "boost" in power.
I thought about that - that's definitely not it. It's inconsistent, generally worse when the battery is flat and most definitely worse when cold. It's not just a reduction in power followed by a boost, it's literally the behaviour you would expect if you were tapping your right foot on the accelerator. On a conventional vehicle, I would suspect the throttle position sensor (not pedal position, as EV mode is fine), but on a hybrid that will be ecu controlled and probably part of something big, expensive, and unfixable without dealer equipment.

The wooshing sound you mention could be a loose turbo pipe from the engine when it kicks in to help out the electric motor, which is why it only happens above a certain speed. Try it in electric only and see if it goes away ?

The wooshing sound you mention could be a loose turbo pipe from the engine when it kicks in to help out the electric motor, which is why it only happens above a certain speed. Try it in electric only and see if it goes away ?
It only happens in electric mode.

I have numerous comments relating to the silent nature of the HS PHEV at all time! So far around a total of 1000 miles. I assume that those cars you can hear have a fault.

Nice and hot today so thought I would see if the electric windows worked, so down they went. then off I went in EV. gradually gained speed and looked up to see what I thought was low level jet overtaking me but the sky was clear.
Backed off the loud pedal then the whine/turbine noise reduced. increased pressure the the whine got louder but disappeared when feathering the throttle.
Have to get the Mrs to drive it past me so I can hear what it's like from outside.

Nice and hot today so thought I would see if the electric windows worked, so down they went. then off I went in EV. gradually gained speed and looked up to see what I thought was low level jet overtaking me but the sky was clear.
Backed off the loud pedal then the whine/turbine noise reduced. increased pressure the the whine got louder but disappeared when feathering the throttle.
Have to get the Mrs to drive it past me so I can hear what it's like from outside.
Hi
Are you in joying the car, it took until about 4,000 miles before the noise will go, my car is quiet some times not sure it the ICE is running on the roads around here, the EV whine has gone down in noise and I am just over 6,000 miles

HI J.
Slowly getting to understand it's little foibles, now got AAWirelesss working fine and it's sssso much easier saying "Hey google take me to......." than press, wait, press, wait and so on. on the MG Nav screen.
Had the windows tinted yesterday B pillar back left the fronts un-tinted. Should have the dashcam fitted by the weekend.
Never did hear if your mudflaps were okay ?
Only up to 1500 miles so far, so I'll keep the windows closed for now......

HI J.
Slowly getting to understand it's little foibles, now got AAWirelesss working fine and it's sssso much easier saying "Hey google take me to......." than press, wait, press, wait and so on. on the MG Nav screen.
Had the windows tinted yesterday B pillar back left the fronts un-tinted. Should have the dashcam fitted by the weekend.
Never did hear if your mudflaps were okay ?
Only up to 1500 miles so far, so I'll keep the windows closed for

Was the AA wireless easy to install expecting mine within the next day or 2
Easy Peasy, just follow the install guide to set it up, the unit install is P&P.

Attachments

• 20220511_134856.jpg
    20220511_134856.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 96
You will also need one of these from Amazon:

Gold Plated Angled USB C Cable Extension 90 Degree Type C to USB 2.0 Right Angle Male Converter Data Sync USB-C Adapter cord(90°Type C-USB A Right)​

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom