New software installation

andrewhs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
How do you go about getting a software upgrade? Do you have to take the car to the dealership or can it be done at home? I am interested in installing the new 33 software.

You might have to complain about some of the things that R33 fixes in order to get the dealer to do it. I was absolutely howling about the USB player before, and R33 fixes that, so that's one thing. There are several though. Have a read through this thread for ideas.

Yes, this is done by the dealership

Dealers do it? Hardly. We wish...

I had mine serviced recently and the dealership (a relatively good one) where I specifically requested all the software upgrades, but they said "no software upgrades are available" although my SE bought from them is several versions behind the latest. They just refuse as they don't get paid and its too much trouble and time.

It's like having an iphone 15 and you can't ever upgrade the operating software.

It's totally pathetic. I'll have to gen up on "faults" before the next service.

You might have to complain about some of the things that R33 fixes in order to get the dealer to do it. I was absolutely howling about the USB player before, and R33 fixes that, so that's one thing. There are several though. Have a read through this thread for ideas.

Really? Does R33 bring in USB folders so music can be in albums like the Trophy has? I so miss that (I know you have a work-around of course)

Martin

I've just done a test @Rolfe ... I created a USB pendrive with a folder of music (edit: formatted as FAT32); I simply created a MUSIC folder and then copied over all my albums for a specific artist. I then went to the car, plugged in the drive, saw a Media Is Inserted message and then selected the USB input. The photos below are of what I saw after selecting the input - I didn't press anything except the MUSIC button and then the artist folder button:

Full view:
1706628924482.png

... and then a close-up:
1706628973469.png

Tapping on the All Songs text doesn't do anything, but tapping on the search icon brings up a search box and keyboard. If I tap on a folder then it shows me sub-folders or songs, depending on the make-up of what's in there.

However the songs within a folder still seem to be in alphabetical order based on the song titles, even though the filenames have the track number as the first part (and the meta tags for each file are complete to include the track numbers). e.g. the Live At River Plate album, disc 1, the first track is Rock n Roll Train, but in my car it shows Back In Black as the first track. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the track names rather than the file names that are important. I think it was the same on my Golf.

This is what I had to do to get it to play right without folders.

1706649417009.png

When I get R33 I need to re-think it and figure out the best way to reorganise the tracks with folders. Which is why I have a moratorium on adding new music in the mean time. If I remember rightly, "Name" is irrelevant, and is just there to allow me to keep track, and everything hinges on "Title", which is the track name.

My plan in general is that the first level of folders is simply the individual composers' names, and the second is the name of the work. Therefore I should be able to remove these from the beginning of the "Title" field, and just have the numbers to keep everything in order, then the actual name of the track.

Last edited:
Hi, I have R33 installed at the moment and I started getting a message on my phone saying that I need to bind my phone. I went to my local dealer and he said it needed to upgrade to the latest software R46! The car is booked in for Tuesday for the upgrade. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Well that's one way to get R46 ... but it's not the root cause of the problem. Have you only recently updated to v2 of the iSmart app?

The only thing I can suggest (if the app is asking you to bind) is that either a) you've somehow logged in to the wrong account, or b) MG's servers are playing up. The [Merged] iSmart app thread has all the details re. a)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back