New (to be) owner

scottmjones

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all! I’m a new ZS owner to be (car is currently in port so about 2 weeks from handover) which is fortunate as I only ordered last week via tusker!

Is there anything I need to look out for with the car? I’ve gone for the trophy short range (I live in Brecon so a small mountain town so LR wasn’t really needed as most drives are around 10 mile)

I’m currently driving a crappy old 2015 diesel peugot 208 so expecting a fairly decent step up considering my current electric windows don’t even work 😂.

Any hints, tips etc as a first time electric owner too? (Already have a fitting booked for a pod point 7kw charger)

20230430_164900.jpg

Scott, enjoy your new motor. 🙂👍

Most of the info you will find on here, use the search and you find it, otherwise just ask. But mainly enjoy and laugh at all the anti EV comments you will hear and read going forward.
One thing to check out if you haven’t already is EV tariffs that are available from pretty much all of the suppliers (mine is an 8p tariff overnight for 5 hours) makes running the EV far cheaper and it is topped up and ready to go the next morning.

Yeah I’ve looked into charge costs, octopus are offering 7.5p for 6 hours every night so I’m quite lucky there, even without that it would be far cheaper than running a 10 year old diesel

Hi all! I’m a new ZS owner to be (car is currently in port so about 2 weeks from handover) which is fortunate as I only ordered last week via tusker!

Is there anything I need to look out for with the car? I’ve gone for the trophy short range (I live in Brecon so a small mountain town so LR wasn’t really needed as most drives are around 10 mile)

I’m currently driving a crappy old 2015 diesel peugot 208 so expecting a fairly decent step up considering my current electric windows don’t even work 😂.

Any hints, tips etc as a first time electric owner too? (Already have a fitting booked for a pod point 7kw charger)
I’m 6 days into having my zs long range via the tusker and this forum has been invaluable, be prepared as they basically drop the car off and hand you the key which put me in a real tailspin. Mine also came without the expected panoramic roof which apparently they stopped doing as standard a while ago, they may also tell you it doesn’t come with a granny charging cable but look under the boot where you would normally find your spare wheel because after being told that, that’s where I found one. I’m awaiting a fitting date for a pod point as I’ve had to wait to have a smart meter fitted first but once that’s done it should be plain sailing I hope. I went from an 07 Pug cabriolet to this so no wonder it’s taking a while to get used to!

Mine also came without the expected panoramic roof which apparently they stopped doing as standard a while ago
The sky roof was deleted on Trophy 🏆models spec cars, that were a factory order placed after June / July of 2023 is my understanding.
However, some cars offered that was still held in group stock, may have slipped the net.
Only today ( 05/03/2024 ) I paid a visit to my local dealer and too my complete surprise, they had a silver standard range ZS EV Trophy In the showroom, sporting the full sky / pano roof !.
Car has obviously been sitting in group stock for a while then !.

The sky roof was deleted on Trophy 🏆models spec cars, that were a factory order placed after June / July of 2023 is my understanding.
However, some cars offered that was still held in group stock, may have slipped the net.
Only today ( 05/03/2024 ) I paid a visit to my local dealer and too my complete surprise, they had a silver standard range ZS EV Trophy In the showroom, sporting the full sky / pano roof !.
Car has obviously been sitting in group stock for a while then !.
Mine is currently at the docks being unloaded so I don’t think I’ll be that lucky sadly, do we know why they stopped it?

Mine is currently at the docks being unloaded so I don’t think I’ll be that lucky sadly, do we know why they stopped it?
From what I was told it was to keep the costings down but who knows. It’s still a lovely car, I hope I haven’t disappointed you but having spent the first couple of hours on the phone to tusker trying to get an answer and being scared to take it out in case they had delivered the wrong car I figured it’s good to know what to expect. 😊

Not at all haha, like I said my current windows don’t even open and my dashboard has a massive hole in in where I’ve transported shelving, anything would be an improvement never mind something as fancy as this 😂

It was a cost reduction exercise to remove the sky roof.
At the same point in time, the price of the car increased in price also !.
I was in my local dealer only yesterday.
In the showroom was a silver standard range Trophy 🏆 and it DID have the sky roof fitted.
I can only assume that this car was group stock and arrived prior to the sky roof delete.
When I mentioned the sky roof delete to one of the sales guys, he said “You know more than I do”.
That’s very reassuring to know that the sales person has less knowledge than a customer.

When I mentioned the sky roof delete to one of the sales guys, he said “You know more than I do”.
That’s very reassuring to know that the sales person has less knowledge than a customer.
That's very often the case. Me personally and no doubt others, like to do my homework before buying a new, car. So usually know a lot lot about the Car I'm after and the Manufacturer. So s'pose you could come across as a bit of a Smart @rse. To be fair to the salesman they have to know about a lot a different models. And that's probably mind blowing. 🙂👍

To be fair to the salesman they have to know about a lot a different models. And that's probably mind blowing
Hang on a bit, MG only have a very small range of models available compared to some of the legacy brands ?.
I think the problem we have here is that some of the sales people are still stuck in the past, just happy to be plodding along selling a couple of ICE cars per week.
Of course you can’t expect a sales person to know all aspects of workings on a EV - but they should know the basic features of the car surely !.
So if taking the time to research the features entitles me to be seen as a “Smart Arse” - Then I will take that as a compliment 👍.
Mind you, these people are only sale people at the end of the day I guess.
They could have been selling TV’s or fridges etc last year 🤣.
Mind you that’s a little unfair, as at least these people DO appear to have good product knowledge 👍.

Last edited:
Hang on a bit, MG only have a very small range of models available compared to some of the legacy brands ?.
I think the problem we have here is that some of the sales people are still stuck in the past, just happy to be plodding along selling a couple of ICE cars per week.
Of course you can’t expect a sales person to know all aspects of workings on a EV - but they should know the basic features of the car surely !.
So if taking the time to research the features entitles me to be seen as a “Smart Arse” - Then I will take that as a compliment 👍.
Mind you, these people are only sale people at the end of the day I guess.
They could have been selling TV’s or fridges etc last year 🤣.
Mind you that’s a little unfair, as at least these people DO appear to have good general product knowledge 👍.
By the the way, didn't mean you personally being a "Smart Arse", I meant folk in General, me included, worded wrongly. 🙄
I tend to stop, after I've corrected the salesman about 3 times, so not to appear to "Smart Arse - ish" 🙂

Yeh, you could argue they should know everything about the product they are selling, but like you say, who does? 🙂

As long as we know what we're on about. 🙄👍

Yeah I’ve looked into charge costs, octopus are offering 7.5p for 6 hours every night so I’m quite lucky there, even without that it would be far cheaper than running a 10 year old diesel
I believe Octopus Intelligent GO (7.5p/kwh 11:30 to 05:30) is only available if you have a Zappi or Ohme chargers fitted as Octopus 'tell them when to charge'.
Might be worth checking with Octopus before you get the charger fitted as you might only be able to go on Intelligent Octopus Go (9p/kwh 4 hrs, I think) (thanks @Susanna ).

Last edited:
@ched
I am pretty sure the name of the 9p per kWh tariff is just ‘Octopus Go’, rather than ‘Intelligent Octopus’ - didn’t want @scottmjones to be confused!
I am on Octopus Go, but I only get 4 hours (00.30 - 04.30). Maybe it varies in different areas? Anyway, 4 hours is enough for me to charge my car, and I also run the dishwasher and washing machine at night to take advantage of the cheaper leccy.

Does via Tusker mean you are leasing it rather than buying it ? If you are then I would suggest that this might be the better option rather than buying it...especially when new.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom