New to electric

Bobbyd

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi
In the process of going for a MG5 from an HS.
Just needs bit of advice.
Home charger,does it matter which brand?
With EDF, is it quick /easy to switch to their EV tariff(5hours pd,35hrs week,8p per kw)
Does the charging cost roughly work as -8p kw hour,charger is 7kwh,so roughly 7x8p X the 5 hour=£2.80 per charge?so that would give roughly 30kw of charge?.
Drive around 400 mpw,of journeys of 20/30 miles a time,do once month journey of 240miles roundtrip.
Any other advice.
Thanks

Hi and welcome.
Any charger brand will work, however which brand you want/need will depend on your own circumstances. Do you have solar, will you ever want to go to an Intelligent tariff with another supplier etc. Do a search (top right corner) there are many threads about different chargers.
5 hours per day at 8p/kWh quite correct £2.80 per week. Each night 5 hrs @ 7kW which is really 6.6kW will give you about 30kWh as you suggest. This is an estimate as conditions such as temperature will alter it slightly. 30kWh approx 50% fiil so good for about 100-130 miles per charge.

Note all these figures are estimates there are no definites as far too many variables but close enough.

I am with EdF, I switched and it took 2 days to move tariff within EdF, the MG is charged overnight using the scheduler on my wall box, the MG has been left clear of any scheduling. Just remember EdF don’t time shift their hours for daylight saving so 12 - 5 GMT, 1 - 6 BST

Just on tariffs - you may be better waiting a few days as the Energy Price Cap is changing from July 1st - at the moment it's a bit of a minefield knowing who will be charging what.

Also just watch one of the compromises with EV tariffs is usually a higher standard or 'day' rate. At the mo EDF seem to be advertising around 45p per kWh so while you'd be getting a decent rate on your off-peak / charging time your day costs would be quite high (although I'd expect that to drop after July). You'd need to do some maths about your usage, 400miles is a decent amount in a week so your charging tariff is important but don't forget to factor in the rest of the tariff.

Octopus are charging around 30p per kWh with a 7.5p off-peak / charging rate on their intelligent tariff but you need a specific charger for that (Ohme Home Pro). I would be happy to PM you a referral code if you were interested, worth £50 for each of us if you did decide to go with octopus.

Hi
With EDF, is it quick /easy to switch to their EV tariff(5hours pd,35hrs week,8p per kw)
Does the charging cost roughly work as -8p kw hour,charger is 7kwh,so roughly 7x8p X the 5 hour=£2.80 per charge?so that would give roughly 30kw of charge?.
Drive around 400 mpw,of journeys of 20/30 miles a time,do once month journey of 240miles roundtrip.
Any other advice.
Thanks
They all just switch mains voltage into the car as the charger is in the car.
If you have solar or a house battery have a look at the Zappi.
If you are thinking of Intelligent Octopus overnight tariff then only the Ohme EVSE currently is compatible.
Have a look on the manufacturer website for registered installers.

Hi thanks for the welcome and replies.
Been thrown a slight curve ball as the landlord has decided he's now not happy until an electrician comes out and shows him where the wire from fuse box to charging box will go (the fuse box is about 3 foot from the outside wall,then was to run about 16ft to the front of house.)
From the above if he is most likely okay with the box being on the wall by the fuse box, so the question is.
How long can the box to car be?,I have seen 5/10 metres,is there any "loss" due to cable length.
With electric supplier need to check as have only been with them for 3 months.No solar either.
Thanks
Bob

Been thrown a slight curve ball as the landlord has decided he's now not happy until an electrician comes out and shows him where the wire from fuse box to charging box will go (the fuse box is about 3 foot from the outside wall,then was to run about 16ft to the front of house.)
From the above if he is most likely okay with the box being on the wall by the fuse box, so the question is.
How long can the box to car be?,I have seen 5/10 metres,is there any "loss" due to cable length.
With electric supplier need to check as have only been with them for 3 months.No solar either.
Thanks
Bob
I’m sure your landlord will also need the network provider to complete an audit to ensure there is no possibility of overloading, and that the main fuse and tails are the correct rating/size.

Thanks
Bob
No loss due to that length of cable, just make sure it is sufficiently long enough not to be 'stretched'.

Hi
Any other advice.
Thanks
Might be an idea to see if the granny charger can suppy your needs, some members do with similar mileage. Could be much cheaper than buying a seperate box, and will certainly fulfil your needs whilst your landlord flaffs about.

I’m sure your landlord will also need the network provider to complete an audit to ensure there is no possibility of overloading, and that the main fuse and tails are the correct rating/size.
Should be ok? ,new fuse box,rcd's installed about 6 months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_084147_536.jpg
    IMG_20230626_084147_536.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230626_084134_807.jpg
    IMG_20230626_084134_807.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 56
Should be ok? ,new fuse box,rcd's installed about 6 months ago.
I can only echo my experience, with any EV charging point installation the network provider needs to know, for the reasons given. You may also want to look at fitting lightening surge protection to protect your car and charger, now covered by the new electrical installation regulations.

Thanks for replies.
An electrician is coming this afternoon to look at all aspects and advise what /where etc.
Will contact EDF as well to check loading,doing on line through my account it comes back as ok,but will speak to some one.
Granny charger is the normal 3 pin household?
How would charging work/be?
Tariff from 1July is 30.3 p kwh,but EV rate if changed is 49.9 p kwh peak, so don't go EV tariff until box is installed.
So if used granny on existing tariff would be (give or take) 2.4kw charge at £1.20 cost per hour?so 10 hours cost £12 and give approx 20 kw power,so if 52.5 kw car £30 ish for full charge?
Sorry if I'm being a bit unsure just trying to work it all through.
 Cheers

Currently on British Gas EV tariff which ends at the end of the month. Currently paying 6.5ppkwh between midnight and 5am which plenty for us using podpoint 7kw charger and we do 400pw, mainly motorway and averaging 4 miles pkwh in the summer and around 3.4 during the winter. Costs around a tenner a week. Will be interested to see what difference the new price cap makes and what utility EV offers are about.

I swapped to Bulb's EV tariff from economy 7 as I worked out we'd save about £20 a month. I'm now on Octopus's standard EV tariff and I do about 1,000miles a month costing about £35. All you can do is crunch the numbers and see if it's worth swapping for you.

If you are a low mileage driver beware going for the super low EV tariff because you may not save enough overnight to compensate for the higher day rate. As my house is all electric (no gas) I don't go for for the EV tariff because the time span is too short, because my underfloor heating and hot water both come on in the early hours. I really need 7 hours of night tariff and also not such a high day rate. So to summarise we all have individual needs and you must do your homework.

If you are a low mileage driver beware going for the super low EV tariff because you may not save enough overnight to compensate for the higher day rate. As my house is all electric (no gas) I don't go for for the EV tariff because the time span is too short, because my underfloor heating and hot water both come on in the early hours. I really need 7 hours of night tariff and also not such a high day rate. So to summarise we all have individual needs and you must do your homework.
That's definitely true in principle but the EV tariffs on Octopus are the same day rate as their standard variable rates (less than 30p per Kwh for me in W Yorks) and THEN you get your cheap off-peak overnight / charging rates

As @tkmaxx5 above said, as of July 1st the day rate on Octopus is no longer higher than standard rate for the EV tariffs.

Thanks for replies.
An electrician is coming this afternoon to look at all aspects and advise what /where etc.
Will contact EDF as well to check loading,doing on line through my account it comes back as ok,but will speak to some one.
Granny charger is the normal 3 pin household?
How would charging work/be?
Tariff from 1July is 30.3 p kwh,but EV rate if changed is 49.9 p kwh peak, so don't go EV tariff until box is installed.
So if used granny on existing tariff would be (give or take) 2.4kw charge at £1.20 cost per hour?so 10 hours cost £12 and give approx 20 kw power,so if 52.5 kw car £30 ish for full charge?
Sorry if I'm being a bit unsure just trying to work it all through.
 Cheers
Hi
I have a Hs PHEV and cost a round £1.50 to charge back up to full 32 miles from 20 miles. I was looking at changing to MG4 and from test drives I done i would use a lot less eletric to do my drive to work and back. I was planning from the tested drive that I was going to charge about twice a week as would recharge from 75% back to 100% as was thinking of get the short range car as the battery like been charged to 100%.
I did look at the EV deals but with the higher cost of peak and the standing charge I am better staying on the standard tariff. Let us all know how you get on.

Hi
I have a Hs PHEV and cost a round £1.50 to charge back up to full 32 miles from 20 miles. I was looking at changing to MG4 and from test drives I done i would use a lot less eletric to do my drive to work and back. I was planning from the tested drive that I was going to charge about twice a week as would recharge from 75% back to 100% as was thinking of get the short range car as the battery like been charged to 100%.
I did look at the EV deals but with the higher cost of peak and the standing charge I am better staying on the standard tariff. Let us all know how you get on.
Just to repeat from some other places, the Octopus EV tariffs are now (since yesterday 😃) the same peak and standard charges of their standard tariff 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom