New update seems to have improved Emergency Braking

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have owned my ZSEV Mk1 since September 2020 and still love the drive.

I took it to my Service Dealer - Chorley Motors MG in Burnley last week for its second service and as always, they did a superb job.

On collecting the car, I asked if there where any updates and they said - "yes they had done an infotainment centre update and everything else was OK".

I had to re-program my radio presets etc. which was normal after an update like that but looking through all the system menus etc., I couldn't see any changes at all to any of the other system settings.

Yesterday, I was driving around 15 mph through a narrow street when a car coming from the opposite direction pulled out in front of a parked car and WHAM! my emergency brakes activated and stopped me instantly.

Ok that is what it is designed too do, but in all the time I have had the car, I have never ever experienced the emergency braking coming in, only the "beeping" sound alert in similar circumstances.

Since the new infotainment update, I have noticed the "beeping" sound to alert the driver to brake has certainly improved and is now more frequent even though the setting is at "Normal" in the menu and for the first time my car actually activated an emergency stop which I have never experienced before.

I have found a couple of posts on the forum where members have said they too had never experienced the cars emergency breaking activating and like mine only a "beeping" alert was ever given, but whatever has been done, it certainly works now!

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just a coincidence then @AndyNWuk because I would of thought an infotainment update wouldn’t effect the emergency braking would it ?? I have my 2nd service on Wednesday but I can confirm that the emergency brakes have activated and it scared the bejesus out of me !!!

Is it just a coincidence then @AndyNWuk because I would of thought an infotainment update wouldn’t effect the emergency braking would it ?? I have my 2nd service on Wednesday but I can confirm that the emergency brakes have activated and it scared the bejesus out of me !!!
Even worse when my 44t DAF EBS activates as I worry I may jack knife
My Kia make me jump when it does it

I don't think its just a coincidence as the Warning audible alert has become more frequent than before, I am monitoring it as its only three days since I got the car back from service.

Maybe the garage did more updates than the receptionist mentioned that just the infotainment system.

Andy (Blackpool)

I don't think its just a coincidence as the Warning audible alert has become more frequent than before, I am monitoring it as its only three days since I got the car back from service.

Maybe the garage did more updates than the receptionist mentioned that just the infotainment system.

Andy (Blackpool)
Yeah possibly who knows 😂😂

Andy (Blackpool)
Maybe they cleaned the sensor properly 😁

I have owned my ZSEV Mk1 since September 2020 and still love the drive.

I took it to my Service Dealer - Chorley Motors MG in Burnley last week for its second service and as always, they did a superb job.

On collecting the car, I asked if there where any updates and they said - "yes they had done an infotainment centre update and everything else was OK".

I had to re-program my radio presets etc. which was normal after an update like that but looking through all the system menus etc., I couldn't see any changes at all to any of the other system settings.

Yesterday, I was driving around 15 mph through a narrow street when a car coming from the opposite direction pulled out in front of a parked car and WHAM! my emergency brakes activated and stopped me instantly.

Ok that is what it is designed too do, but in all the time I have had the car, I have never ever experienced the emergency braking coming in, only the "beeping" sound alert in similar circumstances.

Since the new infotainment update, I have noticed the "beeping" sound to alert the driver to brake has certainly improved and is now more frequent even though the setting is at "Normal" in the menu and for the first time my car actually activated an emergency stop which I have never experienced before.

I have found a couple of posts on the forum where members have said they too had never experienced the cars emergency breaking activating and like mine only a "beeping" alert was ever given, but whatever has been done, it certainly works now!

Andy (Blackpool)
On vacation in Norfolk a car came out of the fuel station and braked not seeing us as well as not hearing us in our MG5. It was only inches out but our car reacted as if we were about to collide. It breaked so fast that my partner hurt her breast on the seatbelt and the dog fell off the backseat. Luckily there was no one behind us. This was both pathetic and dangerous as the driver might have thought we stopped to let him out. There are too many safety things with the car that makes one look dumb. Wondering just when will it decide to stop again. Swerving was not even an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
On vacation in Norfolk a car came out of the fuel station and breaked not seeing us as well as not hearing us in our MG5. It was only inches out but our car reacted as if we were about to collide. It breaked so fast that my partner hurt her breast on the seatbelt and the dog fell off the backseat. Luckily there was no one behind us. This was both pathetic and dangerous as the driver might have thought we stopped to let him out. There are too many safety things with the car that makes one look dumb. Wondering just when will it decide to stop again. Swerving was not even an option.
Time for a dog harness?
Others will be along with suggestions for your good lady's injury...

Time for a dog harness?
My old mum used to recommend rubbing it better.

sammy.jpg

Might this be to do with a sensitivity setting that has been reset following the infotainment system update? I can't remember the settings on our Mk1 ZS EV in detail but something is nagging me about a sensitivity setting buried somewhere in the car settings. Perhaps someone with a Mk1 might be able to check this out.

Time for a dog harness?
Glad to read some witty banter … but that is not an answer.

Presumably the underlying reason is to improve the Euro NCAP scores. It's a mixed blessing that MG are sharing this love with their existing owners. :unsure:

not coincidence, considering if the infotainment system reboots all of the driver assistance aids stop functioning until it comes back to life... try it yourself... turn on the car, put in D then hold the home button on the infotainment and watch the dashboard light up like the 4th of july with warning lights and messages from lank keep, AEB etc :)

Might this be to do with a sensitivity setting that has been reset following the infotainment system update? I can't remember the settings on our Mk1 ZS EV in detail but something is nagging me about a sensitivity setting buried somewhere in the car settings. Perhaps someone with a Mk1 might be able to check this out.
Hi Ariel, The sensitivity was the first thing I checked under "Forward Collision Settings" there are three settings now showing LOW/NORMAL/HIGH, mine is currently set to NORMAL
Andy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom