New Zealand owner

Symar300

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
New owner here from NZ. Picked up a Camden Grey 77kWh on Saturday and put over 200km on it during the weekend. :)

Reading a few of these threads, it appears that there are a few differences with the model that we get here. The main differences I noticed were:

• Wheel size. The lower spec (Excite) have 17", while the higher spec (Essence) have 18"
  • Paint is metallic, and black roof on Essence
  • LKA. It appears that mine is defeatable. I turned it off yesterday and it seems to have stayed off. May need more investigation though

This is our first electric car, and we love it. It's so easy to drive, looks great and was pretty well priced (we have an NZ$7100 rebate here in NZ until the end of the year).

I've attached the NZ brochure for info. Here's the NZ website link as well. https://mgmotor.co.nz/models/mg-mg4/

Attachments

• mg4brochure.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 113
Awesome. Literally nothing to complain about.

Turns out the LKA isn't defeatable, but I haven't found it an issue at all. The most I've felt is a slight tug on the wheel, similar to what it feels like when a car 'tramlines' along a groove.

Both myself and my wife just hop in and drive it. The A/C is on ECO and auto, drive in Normal, and every other setting in whatever the default is. Works fine.

Have a look at your electricity supplier though. We changed ours to Z, as they have 3 free hours between 3 & 6 in the morning. That gave us about 40km on the wall socket. We got a wallbox installed, and now it's around 120km for free. The wife drives around 50km a day, so we charge 2-3 times a week using the 3 hours. Got around 260kWh free last month.

What are your software versions? LKA isn't defeatable but I think now defaults to low sensitivity or changing sensitivity is remembered. I have the Excite 51 (AU) so expecting same versions unless Essence/LR are on different version.

We just got our Essence 64 on Monday, need to look into changing power supplier. We are with Flick at 22c per Kwh off peak. Will give Z a call.

What are your software versions? LKA isn't defeatable but I think now defaults to low sensitivity or changing sensitivity is remembered. I have the Excite 51 (AU) so expecting same versions unless Essence/LR are on different version.
I'll check the software soon, but pretty sure I did change it to low sensitivity and it's still there last I checked.

Entertainment System
SW165-29176-1100R11

Telecommunication version
SNAKP0432A

We just got our Essence 64 on Monday, need to look into changing power supplier. We are with Flick at 22c per Kwh off peak. Will give Z a call.
Z is 22c on peak, 11c off peak, and free 3-6am for their EV plan. Daily charge is about $2.20 (high user).

Last edited:
@Symar300 thanks for your posts.

This will be our second MG, my wife already drives a ZS EV. We have a decent three phase 11kW charger at home but I'm a little disappointed to find that the MG4 can only do 6.6kW on AC as it only has a single phase charger, unless you buy the 77kW LR. We have the base ZS EV Excite with the LFP battery and it still features an 11kW charger.

Electricity wise we are with Meridian who generate using renewables. The off peak EV rate is 10.9 cents per kW 9pm to 7am, and that figure includes GST. The daily is $2.

Have a mate up your way who has driven an BMW i3 for 3 years and paid almost nothing as he only uses the free Vector chargers.

Here's a peek at the new ride at the dealer:

IMG_4968.jpeg

@Symar300 thanks for your posts.

This will be our second MG, my wife already drives a ZS EV. We have a decent three phase 11kW charger at home but I'm a little disappointed to find that the MG4 can only do 6.6kW on AC as it only has a single phase charger, unless you buy the 77kW LR. We have the base ZS EV Excite with the LFP battery and it still features an 11kW charger.

Electricity wise we are with Meridian who generate using renewables. The off peak EV rate is 10.9 cents per kW 9pm to 7am, and that figure includes GST. The daily is $2.

Have a mate up your way who has driven an BMW i3 for 3 years and paid almost nothing as he only uses the free Vector chargers.

Here's a peek at the new ride at the dealer:

View attachment 22165
Is that what the wheels look like w/out the plastic trim? I did wonder, but haven't had a chance to remove them to have a look.

Is that what the wheels look like w/out the plastic trim? I did wonder, but haven't had a chance to remove them to have a look.
Just keep the trim on. Otherwise you will face with a rusty drive shaft end (according to the dealership "this is normal").
20231202_140341.jpg

Isn't there a snazzy MG-badged decal available to fit in there?
Not sure, I expected a cover on it or some sort of lubricant, which prevent it from rusting. I only have this car for two months... so might have to do something myself.

There is a whole range of wheel centres available. Here are just a couple of examples:

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

I’m going for the silver ones. You do need to know the right size to get.

@RP67 the rims you’ve shown are nothing like the ones I have.

In terms of rust, a spray of CRC LanoCote will halt that.

There is a whole range of wheel centres available. Here are just a couple of examples:

View attachment 22212

View attachment 22213

I’m going for the silver ones. You do need to know the right size to get.

@RP67 the rims you’ve shown are nothing like the ones I have.

In terms of rust, a spray of CRC LanoCote will halt that.
Thanks @kiwi , I got it, I'm just a bit disappointed. I never spent that much on a car, and I might expected a bit more care. I mean I guess the dealership also have CRC or LanoCoat...
MG4 has a few different rims, my one is the "cheap" one with the aero cover.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back