New ZS EV driver

Also I noticed I have got 456V, does this suggest the old BMS software, and if I have it updated, will things change regarding range etc.? I'm not disappointed or concerned, as 160 miles on a charge is more than adequate for us
It would appear that you have the original OEM software if you are displaying 456 Volts after a full charge / balance.
No rush to get this updated if the car is behaving correctly.
With regards to your reported range, it needs to understand and learn your driving style before it settles down to a more realistic, predicted GOM figure.
Right now you are still on your honey moon and testing what the car is capable of in all modes.
Impressing your friends and family with its fast pull away in sports mode is great fun, but it is going to affect what your car reports after a charge.
In a few weeks, you will be wanting to try and eek out as much range as you can.
Although very different, this can also be fun as well.
Enjoy your car is the main thing in all this !.

Hi all

I’d like to introduce my self and tell you a little bit about my EV experiences.

My wife and I picked up a Red Exclusive today. We trading in her BMW i3, that was 5 and a half years old. Range and having the 5th seat were the two main reasons. The i3 was quicker but the MG is plenty quick enough and much, much, more comfortable. We’re both really pleased with it so far.

This is our 3rd full electric car. Our introduction to electric power was with the, hybrid, Volvo XC90 T8. We both fell in love with power and quietness of electric. That’s when we decided to get the BMW i3.

Our other electric car is the Porsche Taycan. With this it is recommended to charge the battery to between 80~85 %. We’ve always charged to BMW i3 to 100%. It probably tells you in the manual somewhere but with only having the car for a few hours, I haven’t got that far yet 😁. Does anyone know whether MG recommends fully or partially charging the battery?

Gary
AKA Skydance

One of the best things is being excited about being excited. It's a good feeling.

Without exaggerating too much (it's only a car) it feels like a new start in life. OK that is over egging it a bit. Perhaps, Christmas as a kid is a better analogy, wondering what it it will be like, when we tip toe down the stairs early in the morning.

It reminds me of when home computers suddenly started coming out over 30 years ago.

I have had my car for a fortnight and am still excited.

I hope I never grow up and get old.

Our winter heating pension supplement kicks in next week.

(we are coming into winter in NZ)

Enjoy your new car - I also looked at the Kia Nero and was underwhelmed.

Does anyone know whether MG recommends fully or partially charging the battery?
Different people have different opinions on what is right or wrong on this subject.
The debate rolls on !.
Some only charge to a smaller percentage ( e.g. 80% ) to cover sort trips and others like to charge back to 100% every single time they return home after only a very short trip.
I think the MG line, is to charge to 100% and allow the car to carry out a balance process on the HV pack about once a month.
Of course, you are NOT able to charge the HV battery to a set percentage from a setting on your phone or in the head unit of the car.
If you want to only charge to 80% - then you have to do a little head scratching and stop the charge at the point went you have already worked out in time, when it roughly hit's that point.
A bit of a "faff" but it can be done !.
Ask me how I know.

One week in, loving the car!!! Ive never felt so relaxed driving around our area as I do now :) I've been running mainly in "E" mode, as the power is as much as we need for our daily commute. I have had a go in "S" mode, (because you have to), and boy the MG is a quick car out of the blocks, my daughters boyfriend's expletives as the power went down was priceless.

Ohme charger now on order, so looking forward to that. Completed my first charge to 100% with the granny lead last night, not sure if the trip computer needs a little more time to reset its figures but this morning with the HVAC off and just switching on without the brake pedal, I have only got 162 miles range in "E", and 152 in "N", is this normal, and going to take a bit of time to learn my driving habits? Also I noticed I have got 456V, does this suggest the old BMS software, and if I have it updated, will things change regarding range etc.? I'm not disappointed or concerned, as 160 miles on a charge is more than adequate for us, I wouldnt have had the car if it wasnt, but I am keen to eek out every saving I can running the car.
If it's basing it on your driving data so far, at 100% charge, 162 in E is pretty good, I'd be very happy to achieve that in the car in current lowish temperatures.
If you reset the accumulated trip, it will reset the calculation and should show the WLTP figure of 163 miles in Normal - this is good to confirm the battery is all ok/filling up to full properly, but good luck getting that mileage in real life lol

If you want to only charge to 80% - then you have to do a little head scratching and stop the charge at the point went you have already worked out in time, when it roughly hit's that point.
A bit of a "faff" but it can be done !.
Ask me how I know.
I think there was an app on here somewhere, that worked out the state of charge based on you inputting data when you put it on charge. A bit like a timer, not connected to the car, but it worked out what the battery level would be after a certain time for you.

So we're now 2 months and 1500 miles in and I'm happy to report I am still as happy now as I was a week after I took delivery.

I've so far spent about £25 on electric, as I'm grabbing free charges every time I can at Tesco. I've even had two free fast charges at pod point and eco-tricity!

Weve now done a couple of road trips in the car, one up to the lakes for a few days and today up to Blackpool, from Stoke. I've used ABRP each time, which has worked beautifully, I fully recommend it. Each trip we have used the MFG chargers just off the M6 at J27. Fast charging, and nice clean service area, much nicer than Charnock Richard just up the road. The chargers have worked flawlessly each time.

The journeys themselves have been a joy, knowing in advance that I'm stopping at a certain point makes the whole experience far more relaxed and gone is the urge to get as far as I can as fast as I can. The car itself just takes the whole thing in its stride, I drive at about 65, so that I know if I need to accelerate out of trouble I can, but also coming from my ICE Mazda, the lower road noise means we can have proper conversations without raising voices, or having to turn the radio up loud to drown to noise. Not sure where some reviewers were coming from when they say the ZS is noisy, but mine feels and sounds very smooth and quiet at all times.

Even the wife is convinced now, she doesn't miss changing gear or using the handbrake like she thought she would and has got used to not braking as we usually set the KERS to 3.

Overall very happy with the whole BEV experience, it has achieved exactly what I thought it would for us.

Good to hear that the MFG chargers work well. I had planned to use them as we willbe stopping at the Wrightington Hotel just around the corner at the end of July.

It is nice to find these small service areas. We recently travelled back from Northumberland and I stopped at Costa Gosforth. It was well appointed with a Costa coffee shop, a Greggs and 6 Instavolt chargers. I am going to try and avoid motorway service areas.

So we're now 2 months and 1500 miles in and I'm happy to report I am still as happy now as I was a week after I took delivery.

I've so far spent about £25 on electric, as I'm grabbing free charges every time I can at Tesco. I've even had two free fast charges at pod point and eco-tricity!

Weve now done a couple of road trips in the car, one up to the lakes for a few days and today up to Blackpool, from Stoke. I've used ABRP each time, which has worked beautifully, I fully recommend it. Each trip we have used the MFG chargers just off the M6 at J27. Fast charging, and nice clean service area, much nicer than Charnock Richard just up the road. The chargers have worked flawlessly each time.

The journeys themselves have been a joy, knowing in advance that I'm stopping at a certain point makes the whole experience far more relaxed and gone is the urge to get as far as I can as fast as I can. The car itself just takes the whole thing in its stride, I drive at about 65, so that I know if I need to accelerate out of trouble I can, but also coming from my ICE Mazda, the lower road noise means we can have proper conversations without raising voices, or having to turn the radio up loud to drown to noise. Not sure where some reviewers were coming from when they say the ZS is noisy, but mine feels and sounds very smooth and quiet at all times.

Even the wife is convinced now, she doesn't miss changing gear or using the handbrake like she thought she would and has got used to not braking as we usually set the KERS to 3.

Overall very happy with the whole BEV experience, it has achieved exactly what I thought it would for us.
Great to hear your EV experience is so positive. Keep Us updated.

I must endorse the above comments after doing my first long 300 miles round trip In my 2 week old ZS EV. Charger anxiety was my main worry but Instavolt at Abingdon and Gridserve/Ecotricity at Chievely made the whole experience a good one. Love the ACC on the motorway as it makes going with the flow very easy. The charging network is becoming more extensive by the month so onwards and upwards.

I must endorse the above comments after doing my first long 300 miles round trip In my 2 week old ZS EV. Charger anxiety was my main worry but Instavolt at Abingdon and Gridserve/Ecotricity at Chievely made the whole experience a good one. Love the ACC on the motorway as it makes going with the flow very easy. The charging network is becoming more extensive by the month so onwards and upwards.
It is getting better but there is still much room for improvement. I visited Wetherby services on the A1M last Saturday. They have just been upgraded to Gridserve chargers.

However there are just 3 chargers and there were all occupied and you had to wait. The services serve both sides of the motorway and therefore 3 are just not enough. It would have been an ideal opportunity to install at least another 3.

We stopped at Durham South services for a comfort break. Only one charger there and it was in use. I prefer to go off the motorway in future.

I think off motorway Instavolt where possible is what I will do. I had been keeping an eye on the Instavolt chargers around Oxford to see if there was a pattern of busy times before travelling.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom