New ZS EV ower here with a couple of questions

Hi Dave,

I have had the update and you can ONLY charge the car without it being locked when you are using a CCS RAPID charger any AC charging can only commence with the doors locked.

Further to playing music from a USB stick I found another way to do it. You are driving down the road listening to whatever radio station and when you want to play the USB music then just press the SRC button on the steering wheel twice, first press goes to AM Frequency band (if you have any AM Stations already programmed in it will play them), second press takes you straight to your USB Stick.

The display will show the blocks showing; USB Player, Navigation, etc etc, if you press the USB Player on the screen it will go to the more detailed USB Player interface. Funnily enough you can't use the SRC Button to get back to the radio, you have to press either FM or DAB on the screen, strange!

Hope this information is of use.

Frank
Thanks Frank picked up new car today will have a play with the charging over next few days tganks for the good info

Update guys, the car does have the latest BMS software, can unlock and turn HVAC on and stuff while charging. Good.

The radio can play music on USB stick or DAB or whatever while android auto is on. Good.

Loving this car!

I’m loving this car too!

I knew to ask about the hv fuse update but no one at dealership was aware of it. They looked it up and luckily it only took 20 minutes to apply. Saves going back.

Car only had 53 miles of range on it, apparently they tried to charge three cars last night and popped the breaker. Dropped me in deep end regarding public rapid chargers but happy to report first charge was a success. Free as well. :)

Hi folks,

I am picking up my new ZS EV on 1st September :)

The reloc charger is being installed in two weeks time (y)

Could anybody help me with a couple of things please?

How do I check the car has the latest software? I have seen posts saying that the temperature and GOM is a feature of the comfort 2 update. How do I know if the BMS update has been applied?

Is there an about page I can look for that tells me the latest version of the software installed? What is the current version?

Do I need to be out of the car for the charging to start? Would I be able to stay in the car while rapid charging? With the air-con running?

Is it correct that the car can only go up to 7kw on AC and 50kw on DC?

Can the car be pre-cooled or warmed while plugged in?

The regen braking can't work when the car is at 100%, at what point does it start working? 99%?

Will the 70 plates be available with the new green plates? Any idea what it looks like?

Thanks for any info,
Simon

Hi

You can sit inside your MG ZS at anytime whilst charging so long as you follow this process...

• Charge car as normal
  • Sit inside the car & lock the car using the internal door lock button on the drivers door panel (Not using your keyfob)
  • If you want to use the radio etc simply press start button (but don't put your foot on brake pedal) & turn radio on, it turns on for around 10mins then automatically switches off again, you have to repeat process!
  • You cannot turn the A/C on whilst charging as this turns the motor on & interfers with the charging connection.

Hope this helps, it took me a while before i worked it out as i knew there would be a way somehow!

Hi Taximan,

I would reconsider your advice, you will run the 12v battery down to point the car wont start with your method.

I recommend holding your foot on brake before pressing start. The car will be ready with the full HV battery in use. Just stay in park.

Charging behaviour has just been changed again with hv fuse update, I believe HVAC will work when car is in ready mode.

Whilst you have a point, i was talking from a daily user who does 30-45 miles a day point of view, i have done 2k since we had ours delivered in August (few trips to bournemouth & few more coming up) which means the more you drive it the more your battery gets topped up. Don't think i have ever seen my battery level dip below 70%, i do always have it in kers 3 & eco mode for economy reasons, not sure if that helps!

Hi Taximan,

I would reconsider your advice, you will run the 12v battery down to point the car wont start with your method.

I recommend holding your foot on brake before pressing start. The car will be ready with the full HV battery in use. Just stay in park.

Charging behaviour has just been changed again with hv fuse update, I believe HVAC will work when car is in ready mode.
Hi Lee
My understanding is that the ZS EV has 3 power initiation states
I. Yellow or Amber.... only 12VB on
2. Green No Ready message... HVB and 12VB on but motors not. (One achieves this status by pressing start button once /twice without pressing the break pedal)
3. Green Ready (with pressing of break)
Charging is recommended with state 1 and 2 only or with power off.
Could you please clarify in which power state you charge your car?

Hi @KasEV, I might have mangled the advice from waiting using 12v.
I’m sat charging at the moment and my power state is everything off.

@lee graham
Thanks. If you are on a rapid charger then state 2 ie Green without Ready is best so you can have music on without draining the 12VB.

@KasEV Do you have any sources for further reading?

I've found in the manual it states that the car must be off before slow charging but it doesn't mention being off for rapid charging. I can't find any mention of ready state while charging either.

This is from the manual and labelled important, so I'm adopting this as my advice going forward.

"Do not leave the power system in an ACC or ON/READY state for long periods of time, excessive use of electrical equipment may lead to to a discharged battery."

@lee graham , although I've not tried it as I usually plug in and go shopping, what @KasEV is saying shouldn't flatten the 12v because the 12v is being charged whilst the HV battery is being charged.

It ‘shouldn’t’ and probably won’t in most cases, but it can.

Only with excessive use admittedly but if your usage exceeds dc recharge rate you might run into problems.

I’m sticking to advice in manual.

Last edited:
It ‘shouldn’t’ and probably won’t in most cases, but it can.

Only with excessive use admittedly but if your usage exceeds dc recharge rate you might run into problems.

I’m sticking to advice on manual.
I think if the situation ever occurred where I was sat in the car on a fast (7kWh or less) charger then I would be keeping a sharp eye on 12v battery gauge just in case.

OK. You are correct. The manual was written before BMS update and does not take into account most of the issues that have been addressed by that update and the extended functionality that has been gained.
Best sticking to the manual when in doubt.
The ability to use in-car facilities in the green not ready state while DC charging was indicated to me by a MG person as part of the BMS update benefit.
The risk of a flat 12volt battery is actually low when DC charging because the BMS will not allow that to happen.
I believe the new upgraded ZS EV will be out next year and all these issues will be updated to a more holistic state and it will also have a far larger battery, updated electronics and updated suspension to standard of current Tesla models.
Tesla may have moved on by then but at least MG is rushing to catch-up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom