New ZS EV Owner here, have a few questions

andi51081

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

I will be collecting my ZS EV next week and as always, I have been doing my pre research before I get my grubby little hands on it. Luckily, my MG dealer had an SE in the showroom which is perfectly adequate for me as I don’t have a long commute. I am coming from a ZS Excite so am used to the form factor.

Since this is my first EV, I was wondering which, if any RFID cards/fobs I should get ordered and from who? Or does this depend on which chargers there are around me? I don’t have off street parking so I will be mainly charging up at work from a normal socket until I ware them down enough to install a charger in the car park.

I plan to use the fast chargers at my local MacDonalds maybe once a week.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also as an FYI to the admins, it isn’t just 365 that sends your confirmation emails to junk, Gmail just did the same

Unless you make regular long trips and use a lot of rapid chargers, I wouldn't bother with RFID's or apps. I only use the Pod-Point app because a local Tesco has free charging. Any long trips, I set the filter in Zap-Map to "Contactless Payment" and use my debit card (I usually use Instavolt and Osprey).

Unless you make regular long trips and use a lot of rapid chargers, I wouldn't bother with RFID's or apps. I only use the Pod-Point app because a local Tesco has free charging. Any long trips, I set the filter in Zap-Map to "Contactless Payment" and use my debit card (I usually use Instavolt and Osprey).
And you can use some Tesla SuperChargers, but need the Tesla App.

apps normally negate the need for an RFID tag/card. I would recommend Pod Point as a starter because the cover chargers in Tesco, Asda and Lidl supermarkets, possibly a lot more too but they seem to be the most abundant 7kw chargers out there, then maybe the Tesla App if you have superchargers that are open to others near you, other than that probably ecotricity... but long and short, don't bother with tags unless there are ones you use frequently that require a tag.

What network are the 'fast' EVSE units at your Macdonald's and are they fast or rapids?
Zapmap is great for finding units on your route or nearby.
The Podpoint app is needed to 'confirm' free supermarket EVSE's.
My Asda has some BP Pulse units that need to be started with an app.
If you are with Octopus energy check out their Electric Juice card as it covers a number of networks or Bonnet.

Hi, check which cables it comes with. The 3 pin (aka Granny) charger is standard but you could do with a type 2 as well. Rapid chargers have their cables attached to the machine, the ones at MacDonalds at Kew are 50kw Instavolt which is a very reliable company (little pricer than some). You will not need any extras to use these, just rock up, plug in and tap your credit card and you are away. Just over the fence in Tesco's car park are some 7Kw Pod point, these are much slower but if you are shopping etc are useful-they are also free! For these you will need a type 2 cable and the Pod point app. Plug in and you get 15mins, but confirm the charge on the app and you can charge for longer. Get Zapmap and nose about to see where the public chargers are, this will determine which apps you think you might want. Southport is not blessed with Rapids but am sure you will be fine. Note there are two more 50Kw Instavolts at the service station at Banks. I am down the road from you in Formby and drove an MG ZS EV for nearly two years, shout if you are stuck!

Hi, check which cables it comes with. The 3 pin (aka Granny) charger is standard but you could do with a type 2 as well. Rapid chargers have their cables attached to the machine, the ones at MacDonalds at Kew are 50kw Instavolt which is a very reliable company (little pricer than some). You will not need any extras to use these, just rock up, plug in and tap your credit card and you are away. Just over the fence in Tesco's car park are some 7Kw Pod point, these are much slower but if you are shopping etc are useful-they are also free! For these you will need a type 2 cable and the Pod point app. Plug in and you get 15mins, but confirm the charge on the app and you can charge for longer. Get Zapmap and nose about to see where the public chargers are, this will determine which apps you think you might want. Southport is not blessed with Rapids but am sure you will be fine. Note there are two more 50Kw Instavolts at the service station at Banks. I am down the road from you in Formby and drove an MG ZS EV for nearly two years, shout if you are stuck!
Thanks for the advice. Looks like there are a couple of 50Kw Osprey EVSE at the Old Duke that are on Bonnet for 20p/kWh less than Osprey charge, seems too good to be true?

Also any advice on reasonably priced type 2 cables

Last edited:
Hi, I haven’t used that one but you are correct, there is a a 50Kw charger there. However, I think it is is now 49p KwH. There are lot’s of places to get a type 2 cable, you will only need one for the 7KW AC chargers, others may have different views but I would still get a cable. I am out of touch with current best buys but take a look at e-zoomed and evonestop websites. Even Argos (seems pricey to me) and Screwfix do them. A google search will bring up lot’s of options to shop around. Prices vary a bit, mostly depending on length of cable. Again people will have varying opinions but as the charge port is at the front on the MG you don’t really need a long cable and a 5m one should do. Longer can be handy if for some reason you can’t park close to the charger but they cost more and are obviously bigger to cart about. You need a Type 2 32amp cable (some are 16amp). Best bet is to badger the dealer, they may have one they can include.

I bought one of these and it does the job just fine... you can get longer ones but I haven't needed more than 5m, plus it's one of the cheaper ones out there too

EDIT: Should point out it isn't THE cheapest, but based on the over 700 reviews it was the one I chose.

Amazon product ASIN B07P786L2F

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom