New ZS EV owner, wants to add solar .....

pollenface

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, first post and I'm glad that there is a community dedicated to the MG EV range.

My wife and I are 2 days into our EV adventure and I can't help pondering the viability of adding a large flexible solar panel atop my MG to assist with powering it's 12v systems.

Not expecting huge results, but I have always had solar panels on my other non-EVs to keep the batteries topped up for the likes of running 12v accessories. It just looks naked without a solar panel on it :)

Has anyone else pondered this?

Hi all, first post and I'm glad that there is a community dedicated to the MG EV range.

My wife and I are 2 days into our EV adventure and I can't help pondering the viability of adding a large flexible solar panel atop my MG to assist with powering it's 12v systems.

Not expecting huge results, but I have always had solar panels on my other non-EVs to keep the batteries topped up for the likes of running 12v accessories. It just looks naked without a solar panel on it :)

Has anyone else pondered this?
Sounds intriguing. If you have the SR version, I think you have a 51kw battery assisting with topping up your 12v - not sure how to do an emoji so picture a smiley face here -

Sounds intriguing. If you have the SR version, I think you have a 51kw battery assisting with topping up your 12v - not sure how to do an emoji so picture a smiley face here -
The high voltage battery will not keep 12v battery topped up if car is not in ready mode

I don't like the idea of charging through the cigarette socket or OBD2 port.

The solar panel would be connected to a charge controller and connected directly to the 12v battery, I would imagine that 200-250w would be as much as I could fit on the roof.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom