• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Newbie question about rapid charging

Stormforge

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just been to do a rapid charge at a Polar charger. I wanted to leave before it's 100% charged. I couldn't see a way to stop the charging and the cable is locked and I couldn't just pull it out. What am I doing wrong?

You have to follow the instructions and end the charge via the app, electronic fob or payment card first.

Just been to do a rapid charge at a Polar charger. I wanted to leave before it's 100% charged. I couldn't see a way to stop the charging and the cable is locked and I couldn't just pull it out. What am I doing wrong?
Hi Stormforge,

As Mark says you have to follow the instructions on screen, unfortunately ALL chargers are just a little bit different so there is no definitive answer to your question.

Just a matter of interest (only saying this because you call yourself "a newbie") did you want to stop before reaching 100% due to time constraints or was someone else wanting to use the charger,

This is because I (unless there is time, people waiting or cost concerns) usually ALWAYS charge up to 100% when on a rapid charger as I always feel better starting off again with a full battery. I also mention it because some EV users seem to think that you shouldn't fully charge on a rapid charger. Other than the extra time required there is NO reason why you should not charge up to 100%, it will NOT harm the battery. The BMS stops the battery being overcharged and also not depleting itself fully either. In case you don't know you can NEVER charge it up to 100%, the car may report 100% for user purposes but in reality the BMS only lets it charge up to a pre-set percentage (not known, other than its not 100%), I think the fact that manufacturers of EVs always quote when using a rapid charger the times taken to charge to 80% is a factor, users are taking this as "don't charge to 100% when using a rapid charger". The reality is that EVERY EV when being charged on a rapid charger takes a lot of current (hence rapid) up to 80% and then their BMS system kicks in to slow down the charger until it reaches 100% hence why they only quote times up to 80% and never a full charge.

Regards

Frank

PS Before every other member of the forum starts telling me I am wrong I do accept that RAPID charging in general is not good for the Battery Pack (but a necessary evil to keep charging times sensible when on long trips) and in the real world we would be better of to NOT rapid charge at all but unfortunately sometimes we have to and I trust the BMS to protect the battery and if it didn't than that is what the 80000 miles and 7 yr Warranty is for. In fact I would love it at 79999 to have a failed battery because of too much rapid charging and get a new battery pack fitted under warranty but in reality the car will be long gone before that mileage as it will be changed by then anyway.

@Frank
Very clear cut useful advice.
We need more of such useful practical information on the forum to help the newbies and all of us grow in our experience and knowledge of EV use.

Thanks Frank,

I wonder whether I was just unlucky with my first charge. I wanted to stop as it was getting very slow for that last 5% and I needed to go.

In the end, whilst I was googling for an answer, it reached 100% but still won't release. I pressed help on the charger, and it gave me number to ring. Whilst waiting on the phone, I heard a noise, tried the plug and it came out. There was an error on the charger's screen...it made no sense, something like "unable to translate".

Is it the car holding on the plug (car issue) or is the plug holding onto the car (charger issue)?

In case it happens again, shall I be calling the charger operator, the AA or MG for help?

you would have to stop the charge as well as unlock the vehicle to release the lock on the charge port (unless something has gone wrong). As above every machine is slightly different as to how you stop it, but normally there’s either a handy Stop button, or you have to repeat the starting process (such as swiping a card) to end the charging session, then unlcock the vehicle and pull out the charger.

I had exactly the same 'translation error' message at a polar charger in Cannock and had to ring the helpline, they reset the machine, I did manage to get some charge in it but that was the third charger I'd tried that day previous were faulty and now this is too. Can't wait to get my home charger fitted.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom