Next batch of LR? (UK)

If that boat has a load of MGs on it and due to Bristol 7th Nov then it feels about right for mid-late Nov at dealership. How long do customs, unloading etc take?

Ordered my LR Exclusive red mid Sept. Was told on Sat (23/10) the build had been scheduled & there's a (slim) chance I might get it before Christmas. More likely to be early Jan.

went over the avonmouth bridge today and there is not one car in portbury docks compound to be seen only vans for export

I reckon mine could be on this boat. When I reserved my car the dealer said it was part of a batch they had already ordered in, but were all white. I prefer the silver but not that precious about it so went ahead.

I reckon mine could be on this boat. When I reserved my car the dealer said it was part of a batch they had already ordered in, but were all white. I prefer the silver but not that precious about it so went ahead.

Yeah this was my opinion on colour, I've paid/financed for a red, as first choice, after that so long as it's not black I don't care.

As daft as it sounds I wonder if this might bring the UK economy back as if importing goods in terms of tax/shipping from far east is going to be so high, companies might look to start filling our empty production plants again.
Except that we make so little now that you'd have to import all the machinery and materials first, which has all the same problems. It's a mega mess, that has exposed the real global powerhouse of China.

We have chosen to export our manufacturing to countries where there is cheap labour so that we can live well beyond our means with cheap products, we are now really running out of countries willing to be our slaves!

Good luck to China, they deserve it and we deserve the outcome that we have 100% created!

It would be so good if we could start manufacturing things ourselves again. I would like my MG to be British, but the cost would be higher and I remember the quality of British cars.

We need to change.

It would be so good if we could start manufacturing things ourselves again. I would like my MG to be British, but the cost would be higher and I remember the quality of British cars.

We need to change.
I believe the quality of cars made in GB is pretty good right now.

This is Globalisation - a drive to reduce the cost of production (and hence final cost) results in a movement of everything from manufacturing to clothing to food production to the cheapest supplier.

Most of this is relatively transparent to consumers unless they take an interest - does anyone really care that your blueberries come from South America so long as you can get them 'out of season'?

The recent impact of Covid combined with labour shortages and increased border checks for the UK have highlighted the fragility of importing products/produce from the other side of the world.

The issue with restarting manufacturing (or food production) in the UK is that the skills are now all but lost, as is the machinery (and the willingness of the workforce to do more manual labour orientated tasks).

I blame the Industrial Revolution - didn't have these issues when people still worked down pit or in mill 😜

I just get annoyed with the blame China approach when it's what we wanted & we benefit from.

Even the Shanghai Tesla's are better than the US one's!

But how much of those cars supply chain is in the UK?

I did read once that the Nissan LEAF has one of the highest UK percentages.

Looks to be two distinct types of cars listed - those made from a highly mechanised Just In Time production methodology which revolutionised the industry on cost and quality - and the smaller, more artisan brands with the associated price tag.

Good to see that there is still a place of both these production methods - wish I could afford the latter!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom