Night Mode on start up via Android Auto

davidfinn77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how set night mode permanently when using google maps via Android auto?
Everytime I start the car it's in day mode which for me is too bright, I've selected night mode both via the car and developer settings but no difference when the car starts again.
I have noticed, if I start flicking between the head lights then it changes to night mode, but this is more of a workaround.
Does anyone have a permanent fix or is this a glitch with the software?

I have a MG4 Trophy/Exclusive

If you've already set dark theme (night mode) in the car settings then I don't know.

There is a bug in the system, in my car every time I use the map, I have to go to system and select another option first and then select the night mode again! Automatic doesn't seem to be working in my car!!!

Attachments

• 5-20231107.jpg
    5-20231107.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 101
There is a bug in the system, in my car every time I use the map, I have to go to system and select another option first and then select the night mode again! Automatic doesn't seem to be working in my car!!!
Exactly, same as, I need to do this or flick the lights every time to get it to change to night mode.
Not sure if this a MG or Android Auto issue.

If you've already set dark theme (night mode) in the car settings then I don't know.
Yes, done this.
Does this occur on your SE? it's software is a bit different from the trophy.

I think it might be an AA bug as it also happened in my previous car, only happens if lights are already on before AA connects. Need to switch lights off and on again or adjust the driver display brightness to trigger night mode.

Auto switching works most of the time for me (the car is set to auto, and AAv to follow car). But sometimes it has decided not to play nicely and I have to do the flicking lights on/off until it works.

I never had this problem with my previous car.

I went into the Android Auto settings on my phone, and set it permanently to dark mode. That solved it for me.

Go into settings, then use the search bar at the top and search for Android Auto. This should allow you to bring up the settings. Then select "Day/Night mode for maps", and change it to "NIght".

Do this on the phone before you get in the car.

Exactly, same as, I need to do this or flick the lights every time to get it to change to night mode.
Not sure if this a MG or Android Auto issue.
same here, I have to flick the lights off and on to trigger dark mode in google maps - but if I disconnect the phone and reconnect it then goes straight to dark mode, so this feels like the car doesn't have the right state to pass to the car on first connection? (I do have night mode for maps set in AA, currently on version 10.5 - just updated to 10.6 so will try again tonight)

Last edited:
Mine is actually set to dark mode, AA didn't work for me! Funny enough this evening it worked fine and I didn't have to do anythings.
Having said that, I am now getting warnings with "tyre pressure". In some ways, the software in MG4 reminds me of the early version of Windows 3 with the attitude of "let the customer do the testing for free".

Or reverse engineering of a car software turned out to be much more difficult than reverse engineering of the mechanical parts!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back