Night mode - TomTomGO - Android Auto

TheBeast

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all. I know there have been many threads about Android Auto causing issues. I'm lucky in the sense that I never had the disconnection issues with my phone (Xiaomi Poco F3), the problem I have is that TomTomGO is not going into 'Night Mode' on the main display, which makes it way too bright to use, when driving at night.

What I've tried so far:
-Get the car in the ready state before plugging in the phone
-Have the phone plugged in before getting the car ready
-Start TomTomGo on the phone, before plugging the phone in
-Plug in with TomTomGo closed
-Force Android Auto into 'Night' under 'Day/Night mode for maps'
-Cleared all cache in Android Auto, removed the car from 'Accepted Cars' and start again
-Even went into the 'Developer mode'* settings and tried all options within 'Day/Night': Car-controlled, Phone-controlled, Night

Sadly, none of them forced TomTomGO to change over to dark/night mode.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

*=for those that didn't know, you can enter 'Developer Mode' by going into Android Auto on your phone and tab 'Version and permission info' multiple times.

What mode is the car itself in? Might be worth exploring that option. Can be set to 3 different options - light, dark or auto…or maybe day, night, auto - can’t quite recall the specifics

What mode is the car itself in? Might be worth exploring that option. Can be set to 3 different options - light, dark or auto…or maybe day, night, auto - can’t quite recall the specifics
Thanks for your reply. Tried changing those settings too. Putting that into night still doesn't force TomTom into to dark mode.
Beginning to think it is a fault within the app more than an issue with Android Auto..

Thanks for your reply. Tried changing those settings too. Putting that into night still doesn't force TomTom into to dark mode.
Beginning to think it is a fault within the app more than an issue with Android Auto..
Sounds like it. Is there a way to feedback to the developer? Maybe they’ll have a suggestion

I've did find Waze to be too bright at night, but after digging in the settings I was able to force dark mode, as I prefer it when it does not auto-switch.

I've not tried TomTomGo, but give Wave a try if you need to drive at night :)

The Light / Dark mode setting for Android Auto is overridden by the head unit. Even with developer mode turned on and permanent Light / Dark mode set*
*I think you can use your phone to set the Light / Dark mode but, I haven't tried this yet.

Unfortunately, the head unit isn't great at communicating the Light / Dark mode state. And it often gets its nickers in a twist.

If you slide the auto headlight switch all the way to the right to disable it, then do it again to enable it the head unit kinda sorts itself out.

Notes: the brightness level of the head unit is persistent/static. If you set it at max brightness in the day, it will start at max brightness in an evening too. This is especially dazzling while the head unit starts up and communicates with the daylight sensor and then switches to Dark mode*
*if you have auto Light / Dark mode select

I've got a Google Pixel 7 Pro and have been working with Google to try and resolve this issue but to no avail.

I have this problem too with Android Auto in my MG4 Trophy. I found you can simply turn the headlights off and on again to fix it 100% of the time. Make sure you're doing that somewhere well lit and where it's safe to do so...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back