No Charge flap open detection?

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Very nearly drove off with the Charge Flap open yesterday, it was only because a neighbour said something as I was pulling out that I noticed.

Kind of surprised the car didn't warn that this was the case, is there no sensor on the locking mechanism?
This is the pre-facelift 5

I used to do that all the time ... during the summer was driving down the motorway and all the kids in the car overtaking were pointing and shouting/laughing at my 'open flap' ... embarrassing to say the least 😆

Now I always double check ;)

Very nearly drove off with the Charge Flap open yesterday, it was only because a neighbour said something as I was pulling out that I noticed.

Kind of surprised the car didn't warn that this was the case, is there no sensor on the locking mechanism?
This is the pre-facelift 5
Yeah it’s funny I never thought I would forget this but I did. Very costly error as managed to snap it off at high speed. 350 plus pounds later I never forget to close it again. They have to pull the front of the car off to replace it.

I see pound signs whenever I look at that sucker.

Yeah it’s funny I never thought I would forget this but I did. Very costly error as managed to snap it off at high speed. 350 plus pounds later I never forget to close it again. They have to pull the front of the car off to replace it.

I see pound signs whenever I look at that sucker.
Interesting, on my Gen 1 ZS EV I forgot the flap after charging at Newark on the A1 and drove at speed back to Leeds without causing any problem other than a bit of embarrassment. Maybe the ZS flap is stronger than ours on the 5.

I got warned a few months back by the car - on screen graphic. When I was about to drive with it open. But since then I have left it open and driven and it hasn't warned me. So, some reliable inconsistency.

I was a bit shocked as well.
Interesting, on my Gen 1 ZS EV I forgot the flap after charging at Newark on the A1 and drove at speed back to Leeds without causing any problem other than a bit of embarrassment. Maybe the ZS flap is stronger than ours on the 5.

It was a bit odd. It didn’t fall off straight away and was able to close it. Then next time I went to open it it fell off as it sprung open. I could see the stress fractures in the plastic. :-(
I tried to fight a warranty repair but MG head office would not have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got warned a few months back by the car - on screen graphic. When I was about to drive with it open. But since then I have left it open and driven and it hasn't warned me. So, some reliable inconsistency.
This is the first time I've seen a report of a warning about the flap on any MG EV. Maybe the 4 with it's newer technology has what the ZS and 5 don't.
It would be nice to have on all.

Have also forgotten to close the flap a couple of times. No warning from ZSEV 2021 model. No damage, but these were only short runs.

What happens if you drive off with the flap open, and/or the charge-point rubber bung hanging off, & it rains?

I'm still a bit mystified as to how this problem occurs. I remove the connector with one hand and put the rubber cap back on and close the flap with the other.

Doesn't matter in the least how it happens, not everybody has perfect memory or perfect recall. The point is, it's not a problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom