• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

No heating

So, one visit to the dealer later and a diagnostic with MG, my car needs a new PTC heater unit and 40A fuse.

Guess that means the heater has gone short-circuit and the fuse has done its job...or something along those lines.

They're away to see how long it's going to take to get a replacement.

So, one visit to the dealer later and a diagnostic with MG, my car needs a new PTC heater unit and 40A fuse.

Guess that means the heater has gone short-circuit and the fuse has done its job...or something along those lines.

They're away to see how long it's going to take to get a replacement.
That's a positive that you've got a diagnosis - but a pain about the potential wait time

Yeah, it is. It's an invonvenience at the moment, but if it gets much colder it'll make the car unusable!

Yeah, it is. It's an invonvenience at the moment, but if it gets much colder it'll make the car unusable!
Good job you weren't around when heaters were an optional extra and many coped without.

I had a peugeot 406 where the heater stopped working - so bypassed to just blow cold air. Trying to clear the ice off the inside of the screen was not fun. Those were the days before I had money to fix faults - especially when the parts were available so easily

Update on this from the dealer today. The PTC heater has arrived (much quicker than I was expecting), but the fuse won't be here until the 7th.

I'm /slighty/ surprised a fuse isn't a standard fuse (although it probably is), but looks like I'm going to have heating again soon!

Update on this from the dealer today. The PTC heater has arrived (much quicker than I was expecting), but the fuse won't be here until the 7th.

I'm /slighty/ surprised a fuse isn't a standard fuse (although it probably is), but looks like I'm going to have heating again soon!
That is good news to hear that wait on spares is not TOO long any way !.
They can get on with installing the new heater, while awaiting the new 40 Amp fuse.
I guess they could always borrow a fuse from another car, just to make sure the fix is good.

I didn't make it to the dealer on Friday, due to waking up to a white-out, but it's booked in for the 28th.

However..... I did the school run today, two months after the fault occurred, and.... HEATING!

Nothing unusual about today. It's no colder or warmer than it's been. It wasn't working yesterday afternoon, and now it is.

So either the elves have fixed it in the night, or the original diagnosis was incorrect. Clearly the heater is functional, and the fuse isn't blown. I'm thinking it's more likely to be either a bad connection now or 'something' that has to tell the car it's ok to apply heat. A thermostat or thermal cut-out maybe.

I'm not going to tell the dealer yet, in case it's a one-off. Either way I'll keep the appointment and they can have another look at it (or proceed with their original unit swap).

I didn't make it to the dealer on Friday, due to waking up to a white-out, but it's booked in for the 28th.

However..... I did the school run today, two months after the fault occurred, and.... HEATING!

Nothing unusual about today. It's no colder or warmer than it's been. It wasn't working yesterday afternoon, and now it is.

So either the elves have fixed it in the night, or the original diagnosis was incorrect. Clearly the heater is functional, and the fuse isn't blown. I'm thinking it's more likely to be either a bad connection now or 'something' that has to tell the car it's ok to apply heat. A thermostat or thermal cut-out maybe.

I'm not going to tell the dealer yet, in case it's a one-off. Either way I'll keep the appointment and they can have another look at it (or proceed with their original unit swap).
So - did those pesky elves comes back last night and undo their repair or does your self mending car still provide heat?

Well, the self-healing heating lasted exactly one week, but that's fine because it was booked in today anyway and has had its new unit fitted. So far so good. Long may it last!

Hi my mg zs ev has been to the dealer for the third time still the heater not working, they have replaced the element unit on the second visit the heating works when on demist ( full bore fan on windscreen ) but when you change to feet or face it turns cold, garage says try setting the fan to 3 but still no heat. I’m up in north east of Scotland as well so not good at this time of year anybody with any advice would be greatly appreciated

That will be down to the air blending side rather than the heater itself. Unfortunately, problems in that area can often be a dashboard out job :(

IIRC it blows full heat in demist mode then returns to your previous setting when you turn demist off.
Do you have it on a hot enough setting without demist ?

That will be down to the air blending side rather than the heater itself. Unfortunately, problems in that area can often be a dashboard out job :(
The dealer had the dashboard out the second time in when they replaced the heater

Today we ran the car in normal mode and the heater worked. Changed to eco and it stopped heating again, maybe an issue would be good if mg could confirm

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom