• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

No more free electrons from Tesco's

It was a nice-to-have feature and I've used it many times but the real world saving isn't that significant if you otherwise charge overnight on Go.

That petrol - EV price discrepancy is getting smaller and smaller every day.
The 'argument' used to be that yes, you pay a generally bigger premium upfront, but then sit back with the popcorn as the benefits are reaped over a few years via charging costs and some token extras such as free car tax (you, know, like many diesels had). What, with electric price caps maybe removed in April and general energy 'deals' being as rare as low rate mortgages, plus free charging going, coupled with some astonishing price hikes on other public chargers, well, the argument for 'converting' is getting tougher every day.

That petrol - EV price discrepancy is getting smaller and smaller every day.
The 'argument' used to be that yes, you pay a generally bigger premium upfront, but then sit back with the popcorn as the benefits are reaped over a few years via charging costs and some token extras such as free car tax (you, know, like many diesels had). What, with electric price caps maybe removed in April and general energy 'deals' being as rare as low rate mortgages, plus free charging going, coupled with some astonishing price hikes on other public chargers, well, the argument for 'converting' is getting tougher every day.
I guess that depends on what 'argument' you choose. If that argument for 'converting' for you personally is too tough at the moment then you should not do it.

I guess that depends on what 'argument' you choose. If that argument for 'converting' for you personally is too tough at the moment then you should not do it.

Your advice is warmly appreciated.

Perhaps all would be EV potential buyers should read a Cebr report regarding the Economic Impacts of the 2030-2040 bans on the sale of Fossil Fuel Vehicles out this month.

Personally I like the concept of and the driving experience of EVs, I'm just not convinced that they are the whole answer to Climate Change.

Personally I like the concept of and the driving experience of EVs, I'm just not convinced that they are the whole answer to Climate Change.
Of course they're not the whole answer. Believing that they are is falling for one of the oldest lies in the advertisers' book - "buy this and everything will be wonderful". They're a very small part of the answer. But that's slightly better than doing nowt.

Of course they're not the whole answer. Believing that they are is falling for one of the oldest lies in the advertisers' book - "buy this and everything will be wonderful". They're a very small part of the answer. But that's slightly better than doing nowt.
Indeed, all we need to do now is convince some of the biggest polluters of the planet to follow suit!

Therein lies the rub!

Years wasted, arguing about renewables and it still keeps getting kicked down the road. Forget convincing other countries and lead by example. I've gone EV, solar and waiting for a battery at 68 years old without wanting incentives and I'm sure I'm not alone.

We need a government that prioritises non fossil energy, quietly to the point where we can kick the 'big oil' cartel to the curb. Government after government, sorry the Tories, keep making promises that are never followed through... more nurses, more hospitals, great deals due to leaving the EU and on and on.

How true, but while we're 'leading by example ' and heading for blackouts and economic bankruptcy the rest of the counties paying lip service to climate change are having a laugh at our expense. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but one thing's for sure if this fight isn't global whatever WE do is futile.

My Tesco only has 7kw chargers so I won’t bother in future as the cost is the same as a standard domestic tariff.

The advantage was I could replace the miles driven there and back whilst I was shopping but you can’t put enough charge in whilst shopping to be bothered now.

Will shop at the local Aldi instead as they are much cheaper and they now have self serve tills. Never shopped there in the past because of the lack of tills open, you could queue to pay for longer than you were shopping.

Losing a few ev drivers won’t put a dent in tescos profit though ☹️

My Tesco only has 7kw chargers so I won’t bother in future as the cost is the same as a standard domestic tariff.

The advantage was I could replace the miles driven there and back whilst I was shopping but you can’t put enough charge in whilst shopping to be bothered now.

Losing a few ev drivers won’t put a dent in tescos profit though ☹️
At least you were shopping.
Losing a few EV drivers will probably boost their profits as most seem to only go for the charge without shopping. Amazing how many people are now saying they won't go anymore. :)

There are of course no free electrons, only those that are subsidised by (in Tesco's case) other shoppers. Don't get me wrong I'm the first in line for any freebie, but if Tesco need to reduce costs to compete with the likes of Aldi, they will look at every opportunity.

How true, but while we're 'leading by example ' and heading for blackouts and economic bankruptcy the rest of the counties paying lip service to climate change are having a laugh at our expense. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but one thing's for sure if this fight isn't global whatever WE do is futile.
I agree with your sentiments. We are going to hell on a handcart with a net zero ambition. Our contribution if successful will be 1% of what is needed on a global scale.

There are of course no free electrons, only those that are subsidised by (in Tesco's case) other shoppers. Don't get me wrong I'm the first in line for any freebie, but if Tesco need to reduce costs to compete with the likes of Aldi, they will look at every opportunity.
Of course there are/were free electrons. We didn't have to pay so they were free to us. You say you are in line for any freebie but by your logic there are no freebies. :)

I agree with your sentiments. We are going to hell on a handcart with a net zero ambition. Our contribution if successful will be 1% of what is needed on a global scale.
Oh well then lets not bother. Where's me coal scuttle. :)

The problem with 7kw chargers at supermarkets is you don’t get long enough to put a decent charge in so if it costs more to charge than it does at home, why bother unless you don’t have a home charger.

When Tesco first launched this service it was a marketing ploy to attract customers to the store (read the podpoint announcement to confirm this) so it was never going to stay free.

Since July 2020 Tesco chargers have apparently delivered 21,500,000 kWh of power so you can see why they are stopping with the cost of electricity soo high now compared to 2020. Having said that, it is probably a small percentage of their total overall electricity costs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom