No regen when braking

drmcw

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm sure most people know that auto-cruise control slows down using the brakes rather than regen which is annoying, but in normal driving then most people think that you get regen when braking? I remember when I posted about my test drive with the ZS and said that I didn't like the fact that it didn't regen when braking, Miles then pointed out that it does regen when braking and I was happy to be wrong. I've since said that you get regen when braking on my posts on this forum but think that is wrong. If you had regen when braking then I'd expect the regen to kick in when you press the brake pedal and as you press harder then the regen will increase until it starts to require the assistance of brake pads. I don't see that happening at all. The regen, as far as I can see, is just down to the KERS setting you're on and that kicks in when you lift off the accelerator and so has nothing to do with the brakes. Been annoying me for a while now, what do others think?

Last edited:
It depends how you define braking!

But yes. On ZSEV regen only occurs with the equivalent of ICE engine braking, i.e. lifting off the accelerator and letting the vehicle do its thing. The vehicle is braking, but it's not the brakes doing it, if that makes sense.

The actual foot pedal connected brakes themselves are indeed just bog standard brakes as you would get in an ICE vehicle and are not linked to the regen in any way.

When I use them I feel a sense of failure for not having anticipated the road ahead properly 😂

I'm sure most people know that auto-cruise control slows down using the brakes rather than regen which is annoying, but in normal driving then most people think that you get regen when braking? I remember when I posted about my test drive with the ZS and said that I didn't like the fact that it didn't regen when braking, Miles then pointed out that it does regen when braking and I was happy to be wrong. I've since said that you get regen when braking on my posts on this forum but think that is wrong. If you had regen when braking then I'd expect the regen to kick in when you press the brake pedal and as you press harder then the regen will increase until it starts to require the assistance of brake pads. I don't see that happening at all. The regen, as far as I can see, is just down to the KERS setting you're on and that kicks in when you lift off the accelerator and so has nothing to do with the brakes. Been annoying me for a while now, what do others think?
On the motorway when in MG Pilot ( I use that rather than just ACC as I prefer the LKA when it's its via MG Pilot) I gently touch the brakes on long down hill sections to turn it off and get regen, then just press the button on the end of the stalk to reactivate MG Pilot when no more regen is occurring.

Both my Ioniq and Kona which I drove previously used regen to brake and the physical brake only came into effect when emergency braking or coming to a complete stop. If you look at the power meter on the MG, you can see the regen slows the car when you take your foot of the accelerator. At no point have I seen the brake pedal affect the regen.

Both my Ioniq and Kona which I drove previously used regen to brake and the physical brake only came into effect when emergency braking or coming to a complete stop. If you look at the power meter on the MG, you can see the regen slows the car when you take your foot of the accelerator. At no point have I seen the brake pedal affect the regen.
Yeah same on the leaf I had and why I find it somewhat annoying to have lost that.

On the motorway when in MG Pilot ( I use that rather than just ACC as I prefer the LKA when it's its via MG Pilot) I gently touch the brakes on long down hill sections to turn it off and get regen, then just press the button on the end of the stalk to reactivate MG Pilot when no more regen is occurring.
Yes, this is the most practical approach to use ACC. Actually it follows the similar practice as we're using cruise control of ICE car, just off the cruise control when going down hill and reactivate otherwise.

If the software of mg pilot is good enough to well anticipate the traffic condition then apply braking, there is no evidence using brake (not regen) will result poorer mileage.

Remember to fully utilize the power output of your pedal should be far efficient than recovering the excess power by regen

I cannot really understand why anyone would expect using the brakes to affect regen. They are separate systems and should be.

I cannot really understand why anyone would expect using the brakes to affect regen. They are separate systems and should be.
I agree, but car should use the max regen, even if on other regen settings. Shall double check it doesn't when I next drive the car (I always have it on max). I have a ZS EV, if MG4 is on auto regen, does this automatically engage max regen when braking?

A smoother method that I use instead of touching the brakes is to push the stalk away from you gently once (not all the way as that completely swithces off ACC), just enough to disable ACC and MG Pilot, then regen kicks in without having to touch the brakes. You can then pull the stalk back towards you twice to re-engage ACC / MG Pilot. I tend to put KERS on level 1 or 2 for this so the slow down when ACC is disengaged isn't too jarring.

A smoother method that I use instead of touching the brakes is to push the stalk away from you gently once (not all the way as that completely swithces off ACC), just enough to disable ACC and MG Pilot, then regen kicks in without having to touch the brakes. You can then pull the stalk back towards you twice to re-engage ACC / MG Pilot. I tend to put KERS on level 1 or 2 for this so the slow down when ACC is disengaged isn't too jarring.
Its just what you personally prefer. For me I find it easier lightly touching the brake and then when I want to reingage MG Pliot I just press the button on the stalk. That's because I find it easier touching the brake rather than moving the stalk away and then back again. I often hit the wrong stalk. Others will find it easier to move the stalk than touch the brake gently as their spatial awareness of where the stalks are is better than mine.

One thing to watch out for is if the ACC is slowing down due to a car in front, when you push the stalk away the ACC braking is still engaged. It only stops then when you touch the accelerator. It's caught me out a couple of times.

Also, you only have to pull the stalk twice when you first engage MG Pilot, after that a single pull will re-engage it.

Reference Gadget Geek, the removal of ones foot from the accelerator will instigate regen, so it is not necessary to link the systems.

Reference Gadget Geek, the removal of ones foot from the accelerator will instigate regen, so it is not necessary to link the systems.
Agree, have got so used to driving the car that i had to check on last nights drive. I always drive on regen 3 and rarely use the brakes (only really when fully stopping the car) using regen to slow the car down. Car not only regens when foot is off the accelerator but it is also instigates regen when decelerating by easing off the accelerator pedal. Starts at low level of regen to full (-20 ishy) regen level when lifting foot fully off accelerator.
Also I often drive my daughters Leaf on full1 pedal driving, I actually prefer the MGs set up :oops:

Last edited:
Reference Gadget Geek, the removal of ones foot from the accelerator will instigate regen,
I know, that's what I said, but that only slows the car gradually. In the Ioniq, Kona and other brands, you can have regen on it's lowest setting (or off) and when you touch the brake pedal, it gives stronger regen which varies with the pressure on the pedal. I was just pointing out that MG don't do that.

The whole system is shite tbh. If you hold the car on the brakes you can see the power increase as the car tries to fight the brakes. If it was properly integrated then it should know that you want the car stopped because you're pressing the brakes and so shouldn't try and keep the car moving. The only time I want regen is when I want to slow down i.e brake, so to not have them connected is annoying to say the least.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom