No regen when braking

So :
MG4 uses regeneration when braking but not no on ACC
ZS regeneration only on lifting foot of fthe accelerator
MG5?
No, that’s wrong. ZS increases regen incrementally as you incrementally lift off the accelerator. Full regen (depending on setting, if on 3 then max) is applied when you lift fully off the accelerator pedal. Problem for those who have regen set at less than three is when they lift of the accelerator and press the brake they only get max regen selected, 1 or 2 instead of 3.

Last edited:
So :
MG4 uses regeneration when braking but not no on ACC
ZS regeneration only on lifting foot of fthe accelerator
MG5?
MG5 does regen on ACC and think it regens on braking but am not 100% sure. It defaults to KERS 2 which is much nicer as well.

As Robf states, if you use regen3 all the time, as I do, you would see no extra regen. So if you want to have regen when braking, why not use regen3? It is a nonsensical discussion.

The brakes on the MG4 are very different to the Zs ev, they are now "fly by wire" and as such work together with regen. 👍
Are you sure about this, the brakes are truly fly by wire? i.e. there is no hydraulic connection between the brake pedal and the calipers? I really dont know, I dont have an MG4 but I feel it's highly unlikely.

As Robf states, if you use regen3 all the time, as I do, you would see no extra regen. So if you want to have regen when braking, why not use regen3? It is a nonsensical discussion.
Now it's cleared up and everyone agrees that there is NO regen when braking then yes I agree it is a nonsensical discussion.

Now it's cleared up and everyone agrees that there is NO regen when braking then yes I agree it is a nonsensical discussion.
Incorrect, there is full regen (depending on regen setting selected) when braking.

No it doesn't. This thread wasn't about ACC as that's already known to not use regen. I was trying to point out that braking doesn't either, which was my first impression when I test drove one and has been niggling me ever since I got the car.
Thanks - that’s clear. I’ve noted that ACC and the absence of regen does have a range impact.

Incorrect, there is full regen (depending on regen setting selected) when braking.
Now I’m confused.

To avoid confusion - there is no additional regen from using the brake pedal. You will continue to have the full regen effect from lifting off the accelerator. How much regen that is will be determined by which KERS level you have set.

In some other EV's, my 10 year old Volt included, the brake pedal does use additional regen first before engaging the friction brakes. It is generally seamless but in some cases there is a noticeable transition point.
The ZS EV is built on an ICE platform and MG have clearly not seen the need to engineer any integration between system where not strictly necessary.

No wonder people are confused. I just looked up regen braking on the MG website and saw this;

How does regenerative braking differ from other types of braking?​

Regenerative braking differs from ‘regular’ braking because it slows down the vehicle without using friction on the tires. Instead, less pressure is placed on the brakes and tires because electric motors are being slowed down by the engine.

Regenerative braking also differs from dynamic braking - the use of an engine torque to slow down a vehicle. Dynamic braking is only used in emergency situations to help quickly reduce the speed of a car, whereas regenerative braking can be used to save energy everyday.

I think it's time to walk away from this discussion. See you all on another thread. :)

No wonder people are confused. I just looked up regen braking on the MG website and saw this;

How does regenerative braking differ from other types of braking?​

Regenerative braking differs from ‘regular’ braking because it slows down the vehicle without using friction on the tires. Instead, less pressure is placed on the brakes and tires because electric motors are being slowed down by the engine.

Regenerative braking also differs from dynamic braking - the use of an engine torque to slow down a vehicle. Dynamic braking is only used in emergency situations to help quickly reduce the speed of a car, whereas regenerative braking can be used to save energy everyday.

I think it's time to walk away from this discussion. See you all on another thread. :)
Thats a dreadful and very inaccurate description of regen braking, lets hope MG havent implemented regen braking from this description........

Incredible. Let's hope whoever writes the manual is not in the engineering dept.
Also, it seems, no--one checks it!
I suppose it could be a (poor) translation from chinese?

Just a note, I have MG5 22plate LR before face lift.
Slippy conditions ice etc if the regen is working and hits ice the regen cuts of, and won't regen until acc pedal is re-applied.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom