Non-home charging

Its a hard question to answer, which network are you going to using? are you a member of that network?

I have a Polar plus account which allows me to use Polar charging stations at a reduced rate or for free (Charging units at Asda), take a look at zap map, click on a charging point and look at details about cost. You can use filters to select only the type of charging units.

Also @Phil752 do you mean Fast or Rapid? There's a big difference :)
For Fast charging at supermarkets, it's usually nothing. No charge, and if you have the time and it's convenient, that's obviously the way to go.
For Rapid charging, expect 30-35p / kwh as being the usual, PAYG standard (which I consider expensive), or maybe Polar at half that plus a monthly subscription. I don't know about any other networks.
Let's do some calculations based on 30p/kwh assuming there is no additional (connection) charge which some networks might add.
Every 10% you charge it up, it's going to cost (44.5 kwh total capacity * .30p cost per kwh) * .1 (ten percent) = £1.30.
If you arrive with 20% charge and take your car up to 80%, that's 6 * £1.30 = £7.80
Or 20% to 90% will be 7 * £1.30 = £9.10
Approximately.

I used to use a Polar card which is £7.50 a month and then 15p/kwh at 50kw rapid chargers. Obviously you have to do some maths to figure out whether or not it's worth paying this or just PAYG (I cancelled mine because I haven't gone anywhere during lockdown).

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom