BJC

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All,
After a bit of advice and hoping some can help!
I've recently got a 72 plate ZS Trophy Long Range MK2
I'm having trouble being able to charge with the granny cable, I was intending on this being my main means of charging but instead I'm having to resort to public chargers at the moment.
I plug the granny cable in, the lights turn green and it begins to charge then ~30 seconds later the charging stops and lights go blue.
I have tried the charger in my house, on several different circuits and a neighbors and the same thing happens. We tried the cable in his Tesla and it seemed to work albeit we only tried for a couple of mins.
His Tesla cable worked in my car again albeit we only left it for a couple of mins.
I managed to borrow an Audi E-Tron cable and tried that over night, at first it seemed to be working so left it over night but come the morning it had stopped changing and only managed to charge 3%...
I've informed the company I bought the vehicle from and awaiting for a garage to look at it but just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try to get it working in the mean time?
Has anyone experienced something similar or particular process to follow when using the granny cable?
I've tried to get in touch with the local MG dealer as well (in Lincoln) but they're fully booked and closing in the next couple of months...
Thanks in advance!

Hi, the public EVSE you used are they AC type2 or DC CCS?
Is the 'granny' the original MG one that came with the car?
Was it a MG dealer you purchased it from?

Hi, the public EVSE you used are they AC type2 or DC CCS?
Is the 'granny' the original MG one that came with the car?
Was it a MG dealer you purchased it from?
Hi there!
Public are 22kw type 2, not got round to trying out a CCS yet!
The granny is a MG one, I can only assume it is the original.
The car was purchased from Cinch

I had this same issue with a ZS a few months ago. Returned it, got another 72 plate and it's worked flawlessly on the granny charger. I suspect it was a fault with the car. Plate doesn't end in KVZ by any chance does it?

I had this same issue with a ZS a few months ago. Returned it, got another 72 plate and it's worked flawlessly on the granny charger. I suspect it was a fault with the car. Plate doesn't end in KVZ by any chance does it?
Is that the one returned? If so, how long did you have it before returning it? Did they try fixing it and did you have any other issues with the car? Ta

Yeah that's the one we returned, great car otherwise and we were very happy to get another ZS EV but it wasn't workable without home charging. We had it for about a week but it was getting frustrating going to expensive fast chargers. It worked on a friend's 7 kw charger and I tried everything including borrowing a different granny charger off someone locally but could never get it to consistently work - had one night of successful charge and a few frustrating nights of trying to get it working.

We did also notice our second one was a bit less creaky going over speed bumps than the first.

I gave up trying Granny charging after just a couple of attempts and had a Hive home charger put in, it was a game changer and use it to charge my wife's EV now. But appreciate that not everyone can have one at home, is it an option for you at all ?

Yeah that's the one we returned, great car otherwise and we were very happy to get another ZS EV but it wasn't workable without home charging. We had it for about a week but it was getting frustrating going to expensive fast chargers. It worked on a friend's 7 kw charger and I tried everything including borrowing a different granny charger off someone locally but could never get it to consistently work - had one night of successful charge and a few frustrating nights of trying to get it working.

We did also notice our second one was a bit less creaky going over speed bumps than the first.
Yeah that's the problem I'm having at the moment - just a shame they didn't sort it before moving it on! And I begrudge forking out for a charger that I don't particularly need! At least I know I'm not going crazy anymore 🤣

The scuttle tray does seem to be the source of that creak, a spray of silicone spray sorted that out. Did you have an issue with the inside passenger door handle? It doesn't seem to be opening from the inside so a passenger can get in but not out... Do you have any clicking from your steering wheel at low speeds? I don't know if it's me being over sensitive to these things or if it's just normal.

No issues for the passenger door handle for us, though now you mention it we did have the steering wheel clicking at that was annoying! The replacement doesn't have that. We would have put up with the steering wheel and creaking if the charging had worked but we noticed the lack of them and were glad to have swapped in the end.

Cinch were really good about it. We said we wanted another one from them so rather than doing a normal card refund they sent the money directly back to us as cash so we could re-order sooner. This was especially good as we'd used a collection of 0% credit cards!

I think at this point it would be worth you sending it back too. A little faff but they were really good and we're very happy with our new (used) one.

See other threads about clicking steering as it could be a dangerous problem with the steering column. Do not put up with it - it must be checked out.
On the charging, it obviously has a problem and it should probably go back to the dealer.

I have a 22 plate ZS trophy LR. We have an MG granny charger which is our only means of charging at home. (Touching wood furiously) it has worked brilliantly for us for the last few months since we got the car. Around 15% charge per night at 9p/kWh. It's a shock when we have to use public chargers on long trips! It does sound like a car, not a charger fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re click in steering wheel at low speeds.

I took my new to me car in for its 2nd service & mentioned it. It's well known issue. They've ordered a part & it's due to be fixed next week.

They've advised the car continue to be safe to drive

Glad the garage is sorting the steering....
A bit sad it is still turning up as a problem....

Hi All,
After a bit of advice and hoping some can help!
I've recently got a 72 plate ZS Trophy Long Range MK2
I'm having trouble being able to charge with the granny cable, I was intending on this being my main means of charging but instead I'm having to resort to public chargers at the moment.
I plug the granny cable in, the lights turn green and it begins to charge then ~30 seconds later the charging stops and lights go blue.
I have tried the charger in my house, on several different circuits and a neighbors and the same thing happens. We tried the cable in his Tesla and it seemed to work albeit we only tried for a couple of mins.
His Tesla cable worked in my car again albeit we only left it for a couple of mins.
I managed to borrow an Audi E-Tron cable and tried that over night, at first it seemed to be working so left it over night but come the morning it had stopped changing and only managed to charge 3%...
I've informed the company I bought the vehicle from and awaiting for a garage to look at it but just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try to get it working in the mean time?
Has anyone experienced something similar or particular process to follow when using the granny cable?
I've tried to get in touch with the local MG dealer as well (in Lincoln) but they're fully booked and closing in the next couple of months...
Thanks in advance!
I’m having Wi-Fi probs with my home charger so had to use the granny for the first time last night but b4 plugging in granny I set a time on the schedule charging on the charge settings and it worked from 23.30 until 05.30 it’s a very slow process hope this helps.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re click in steering wheel at low speeds.

I took my new to me car in for its 2nd service & mentioned it. It's well known issue. They've ordered a part & it's due to be fixed next week.

They've advised the car continue to be safe to drive
Likewise Seems to be a common issue mention my steering noise at the two year service now waiting for a new steering Column to be fitted!!!

Likewise Seems to be a common issue mention my steering noise at the two year service now waiting for a new steering Column to be fitted!!!
I had the steering column replaced, unfortunately about a month later it went wrong again, by the time I sold the car they still hadn’t replaced it again as would never admit the fault had returned.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom