Not Strictly MG5 ...Anyone Had to Have House Supply Unlooped?

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Having just acquired our EV I have been trying to arrange for a home charger to be fitted.
We appear to have a 50amp house supply fuse on a looped supply.

Our installer has advised that they have had to contact the DNO to request the supply to be unlooped.

Has anyone had to have that done?
Any experience of time scale involved?

Interested on any thoughts.

Thanks.

By looped, do you mean where your electricity supply is shared with another house? Mine was when my charger was installed about two and a half years ago. Installer contacted electricity company, they came and did the work in a few days time. It took them a day or so to do the electrical work as I recall, then we had to wait for the reinstatement to be done.

Yep, the actual work was done reasonable quickly as I recall, we had a few days to wait, but once done I think we waited a week or so for all the reinstatement.

@Darren D

One other thing to ask your DNO to do: you say you have a 50 amp supply. Assuming you mean the incoming main fuse is 50 amps that most definitely needs to be increased, preferably to at least 80 amps or, perhaps better still, 100 amps. Otherwise your charger (when used at the same time as "normal" domestic electricity consumption) is highly likely to cause that fuse to blow!

Having just acquired our EV I have been trying to arrange for a home charger to be fitted.
We appear to have a 50amp house supply fuse on a looped supply.

Our installer has advised that they have had to contact the DNO to request the supply to be unlooped.

Has anyone had to have that done?
Any experience of time scale involved?

Interested on any thoughts.

Thanks.
I had to be "Unlooped" when I had my first charger installed 18 months' ago. The installers are allowed to install the charger but it has to operate on lower power until you're unlooped. The work for me was carried out by Electricity North West who were brilliant. An inspector came out confirmed we were looped to next door. The work was done within 6 weeks and took about 4 working days. Power was only off for around 20 minutes and next door weren't disturbed at all. The work was exemplary, there were different teams, it was all like clockwork timed to perfection. Once finished everything was returned to as it was and they cleaned up!! Fantastic service and all free of charge...

Yep same here as Podge, the installer got permission to install the charger before it was unlooped, all done through Western power, then I was contacted by WP to undertake a survey and fortunately our neighbours were on side, on the day of the works it went like clockwork each trade following on from each other and finally matching our neighbours slab which had to be broken as it was stuck solid. Everyone was polite and did a fantastic job and speaking to the sparks they said it would cost £4k to have the work done privatel, not bad for FOC 👍

No two un-looping jobs are ever going to be he same too be honest.
Both properties affected will be checked and then the DNO will advise on a course of action.
It can depend a lot on how cooperative the person is, that you are sharing your supply with.
In some circumstances, the disruption can affect your neighbour more than yourself !.
Like trying to selling the idea, of allowing your elderly neighbour to have a team from the DNO to dig a trench through there front garden, just to allow a new supply to be brought to the meter for example.
Not a daily event of course, but it can happen !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom