Number plates.

BeekeeperMG5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Question for any MG5 dealers here. My rear number plate issue IS still unresolved. I was informed by MG Maidstone today that, the government issues the physical number plates to the dealer, and the dealer can only fit what they have been issued with. Thanks.

Dealer made up mine as I was transferring a plate on to it. Only needed to provide the paperwork and it was no bother and no charge.

I don't really know who I can complain to. The dealership has been an utter disappointment. It is such a shame as the car is great!

What exactly is the problem? Dealer Bull***ting aside, it's worth noting that any registered number plate supplier can make you up any number plate in a (legal) format and letter style to suit your needs, usually for about £12.

When I bought my car the dealer emailed a list of 50 or more registration numbers and I could choose which ever I wanted, and of course the name of the dealer is on the plates which is a legal requirement. (The name of the company which made the plates which in my case is the dealer.)

"What exactly is the problem?" The exposed bolt holes, are the problem. not a nice look.
BOLT HOLES.jpg

"What exactly is the problem?" The exposed bolt holes, are the problem. not a nice look. View attachment 3143
There should be a black plastic strip between the extra holes. That plate probably doesn’t fit with it because of the extra bit with their name on though, so they’ve left it out.

The line they’re spinning you is utter BS.

I see, Looks like you need the missing strip installing and a standard plate without large underhanging advert and you'll be good. The badge is in a stupid place on the 5 tailgate as well, making it difficult to fit a deeper plate centrally.

Shocking to think it hasn't occurred to the dealer that when washing the car water will pour into those holes, what an incompetent bunch!

Last edited:
"What exactly is the problem?" The exposed bolt holes, are the problem. not a nice look. View attachment 3143
When ordered my 5 I asked about that issue and they told me the black bar comes with the car from MG, It is there to cover the extra holes that are for the Chinese plates (square). However, they fit a little larger plate that covers them. The dealer can make a bigger plate size they wanted to. And yes a others have said "Bull" the dealer gets a string allotted numbers and they or contractor makes them.

Anyway, no problem for me, I cancelled the order and chose an ICE car to go along side our ZS ev.

Nice colour Blue though. :)(y)

The black plastic plate was on mine.

I think can get larger shaped plates that cover the holes.

Sorry, rear could do with a clean

Attachments

• 20210506_174831.jpg
    20210506_174831.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 176
They could have put the plate slightly higher and replaced the black bar.
Looks like it's only stuck on with there being no holes in the plate itself.

I dont mind mine, I have the black plastic thing at the bottom in the two holes and my number plate has the dealerships name and the green eco box... you can just pay a small amount though and change your numberplate as long as its legal. Personally its not high on my priority list.

Private numberplate I find totally ridiculous.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom