NZ or AUS MG ZS EV 2022 questions

Thatphotoguy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hey there.

For the Kiwi and Aussie MG fans who are awaiting the pre orders of the 2022 ZS EV.

Please post your questions or answers in here if you know or are aware of anything relating to the models coming July through August 2022.

My first question, since I've been watching alot of the new videos out of India which seems to show more of the 50kwh battery versions. They seem to have this badge in either side of the car under the Wing mirrors that says Electric. Is this something just for India, or is this coming with the due in NZ/AUS versions.

Will MG debadge them if required at no extra charge?

CheersJames

I would be more than a bit pissed if my ZS turns up with those dreadful Electric badges on the side, or the Internet Inside badge on the boot. I've only ever seen them on videos from Asian markets and while most of those markets are left hand drive I suspect that they are locally assembled. There was a chap from India posted elsewhere on this forum that the ZS are assembled in India, and I have seen it said that MG HS PHEV are assembled in Thailand. I think that ours come ready to roll direct from China via Australia. For what it is worth our local dealer (Farmers in Tauranga) said that the reason we don't have the long range option here in NZ is because we coat-tail off Oz and EV adoption there has until recently been slow and almost exclusively in cities due to the lack of charging facilities outside of cities making even the long range versions a bit difficult to use. What's the ETA on yours James, any updates from your dealer or still Jul/Aug?

Yeah I'm hoping it is how you say.

I have no updates at all. In fact....my partner and put down our deposits about a month ago for a red and a blue one. Today someone from the same brance contacted me by automated text saying they had been trying to get hold of me.....um....no.....you hadn't. So I messaged back and no response. Lol.

I'm not ready to buy yet so the test drive will be nice when and if they get them

All the ZS EV models in Australia have had just the ZS EV badge on the back and after a while an MG Pilot badge was added. The 'electric' badge has only ever been used in India.

I think the Tauranga dealer wasn't quite right though. EV adoption in Australia hasn't been restricted to cities. The east coast has a pretty good network of chargers, many installed by the state auto clubs (NRMA, RACV etc) that are free or subsidised for members. The three mainland east coast states also have plans for more installations. Nevertheless much much more should be done, particularly at federal level, and that might be not too far away.

That said, I also can't really understand the decision by MG not to bring the LR version here and NZ. I can only think that MG feels it's best for their business to play on the reputation for 'best value EV' and therefore don't want to have a car over $AU50k. I'd say that the imminent arrival of BYD models even cheaper than the MG short range will cause them problems.

My dealer contacted all current owners recently to offer updates and info and a queue for test drives but said there probably wouldn't be any cars until July at earliest.

Yeah I'm hoping it is how you say.

I have no updates at all. In fact....my partner and put down our deposits about a month ago for a red and a blue one. Today someone from the same brance contacted me by automated text saying they had been trying to get hold of me.....um....no.....you hadn't. So I messaged back and no response. Lol.

I'm not ready to buy yet so the test drive will be nice when and if they get them
I haven't test driven ZS EV so placing an order was a leap of faith. We bought a HS PHEV last year and are very happy indeed with all aspects of that except for the sluggish gearchange at 80km/hr and even that's not really too much of an annoyance. While we were going through the HS purchase I had a really good look at and sit in some ICE ZS. This, along with the reviews that I've read make me pretty confident that I'm doing the right thing. I figure that if I decide that I don't like it for any reason it won't be hard to recoup my money by selling it given the ballistic demand for any EV in New Zealand now and in the foreseeable future.

All the ZS EV models in Australia have had just the ZS EV badge on the back and after a while an MG Pilot badge was added. The 'electric' badge has only ever been used in India.

I think the Tauranga dealer wasn't quite right though. EV adoption in Australia hasn't been restricted to cities. The east coast has a pretty good network of chargers, many installed by the state auto clubs (NRMA, RACV etc) that are free or subsidised for members. The three mainland east coast states also have plans for more installations. Nevertheless much much more should be done, particularly at federal level, and that might be not too far away.

That said, I also can't really understand the decision by MG not to bring the LR version here and NZ. I can only think that MG feels it's best for their business to play on the reputation for 'best value EV' and therefore don't want to have a car over $AU50k. I'd say that the imminent arrival of BYD models even cheaper than the MG short range will cause them problems.

My dealer contacted all current owners recently to offer updates and info and a queue for test drives but said there probably wouldn't be any cars until July at earliest.
Interesting comments thanks Chris. Would you have any difficulties going say Brizzo to Sydney or inland to the likes of Toowoomba?

Interesting comments thanks Chris. Would you have any difficulties going say Brizzo to Sydney or inland to the likes of Toowoomba?
Here's the ABRP suggested route for Brisbane to Sydney. 5 stops along the way and there are others if any of those were out of order. The longest trip I've done is Tweed to Coffs Harbour (about 600km round trip) and it was reasonably stress-free even though I'd only had the car a few weeks and had passengers and luggage.

A lot of inland trips would probably require a bit more ingenuity and there would definitely be some destinations that would need more range than the ZS has. The HS PHEV is marketed here as the solution for those sorts of trips (but I must admit, for my circumstances, I'd rather not lug an ICE engine around just for the occasional use).

1649672946417.png

My wife's PHEV works pretty well, round town returning about a zillion MPG. We took another couple on a 500km trip last weekend and running the HS in Auto mode (read hybrid mode) it returned slightly over 40mpg which isn't bad for a vehicle that size with a decent load onboard. The big advantage to us is the HS' towing ability.

I haven't test driven ZS EV so placing an order was a leap of faith. We bought a HS PHEV last year and are very happy indeed with all aspects of that except for the sluggish gearchange at 80km/hr and even that's not really too much of an annoyance. While we were going through the HS purchase I had a really good look at and sit in some ICE ZS. This, along with the reviews that I've read make me pretty confident that I'm doing the right thing. I figure that if I decide that I don't like it for any reason it won't be hard to recoup my money by selling it given the ballistic demand for any EV in New Zealand now and in the foreseeable future.
We're lucky that our deposit is refundable but I'm pretty much sold with all the reviews we have watched. Both of us currently coming from basic cars that were second hand when we got them. My Nissan leaf only gets about 70km range now to a 100 charge and I have to top it up on any decent about town trip so the range is what I'm looking to not worry too much about with the MG. Took me 4 hours from Auckland to Hamilton about two years ago, now it's got 5 bars on it and I have to charge every night.

We're lucky that our deposit is refundable but I'm pretty much sold with all the reviews we have watched. Both of us currently coming from basic cars that were second hand when we got them. My Nissan leaf only gets about 70km range now to a 100 charge and I have to top it up on any decent about town trip so the range is what I'm looking to not worry too much about with the MG. Took me 4 hours from Auckland to Hamilton about two years ago, now it's got 5 bars on it and I have to charge every night.
The Leaf sounds a bit torturous. Have you considered a new battery?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom